It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

Cheat-sheet for the challenged 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Cheat-sheet for the challenged
I just finished making this cheat-sheet. I can construct all of this, including the circle-of-fifths, not from "memory", but I know the theory behind it all, so this was pretty much stuff I put together. But for the practicing musician, this should all be instant recall stuff. I'm still terrible at reading music, but I can figure out how to construct any chord, any (common) scale*, any mode, but I have to close my eyes, and think real hard, and you'll see me move my lips and count on my fingers as I try to figure it out.

For folks like me, a cheat-sheet like this is handy. I'm open to suggestions as to things that might be better than what I have here. The intent is to take this to Kinko's or other quick-print shop, print it in color, then laminate it. My hope is that eventually I'll have this all memorized and won't need the cheat-sheet, but in the meantime...

Oh, let me know if you spot any errors before using this, and I'll post a correction, but I think it's good.

Attachment:
Circle of Fifths & More.pdf

* I just realized that I would have to look up the melodic minor scale as I've never used it. The natural minor and harmonic minor I'm good with though...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Cheat-sheet for the challenged
Simple.....melodic minor is the same letter name Major scale ascending with a flatted 3rd

SA

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Cheat-sheet for the challenged
Lee Vatip wrote:
Simple.....melodic minor is the same letter name Major scale ascending with a flatted 3rd

Thanks, Steve - but doesn't it vary when descending? Like I said, I've never used it so never had to figure out how it differs from a major scale! :)

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm