It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 am

Greg's Bach transcription book 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Greg's Bach transcription book
I just watched one of Greg's archived FB classes from about 10 months ago. He mentioned he was working on a book of Bach transcriptions. Is this likely to be offered on the Stick Enterprises site when it becomes available?

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Greg's Bach transcription book
Don’t worry. I’m sure Greg will let us know how to go about purchasing the book. The real issue (for me at least) is if the transcriptions are at an advanced level, well beyond my feeble playing skills.

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:28 pm

Markussz wrote:
Don’t worry. I’m sure Greg will let us know how to go about purchasing the book. The real issue (for me at least) is if the transcriptions are at an advanced level, well beyond my feeble playing skills.

I’ve been using Greg’s teaching materials for quite some time. He is very good at scaffolding with basic concepts to allow the player to progress to more advanced concepts once that fundamental base is set. It can often be daunting at first. Just remember that even the simplest exercises don’t make much sense out of context. It’s when that exact concept shows up in a piece of music you are trying to play that it starts to click. Personally, I have been reviewing the early concepts laid out in the Stick Book and the Free Hands Book that I glossed over 15+ years ago. It has been an eye-opening experience to look back and have that light bulb moment again.

My low brass students frequently tell me something along the lines as your comment. Every time, I simply remind them that as their teacher demonstrating they are listening to the finished product and not the years of fracks and plunks it took to get there.

Back to the subject, I am also eager to see the Bach book :)

MM

Ironwood 10 string #928

Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ok - thanks!

I will probably muddle along with the printed/video materials for awhile. I've been viewing several of Greg's public instructional videos, working on my sight-reading skills (which have never been very good :roll: ) and noodling some harmonic ideas I'm coming across on the keyboard. I also downloaded a bunch of Chris Crain's instructional materials and have been reading through that. Drawing fretboard diagrams for the Stick has also been helpful, as well as thinking about how I would play certain bass or melodic lines.

That said, I will definitely be taking advantage of Greg's teaching at some point. I just have to coordinate the $ with my ongoing drum lessons.

I just changed my order to specify the new EMG pickups, hoping that will get my Railboard in my hands a little sooner!

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:11 pm