It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 am

Tunings best for learning? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Tunings best for learning?
Just as an opinion, I came from bass always using medium strings whether 4,5,8, or 6 fretted and fretless, so I've always used medium on Stick. I have no idea what was on the '84 Ironwood when purchased from Sam Ash, but I didn't know what I was doing back then (neither do I now) and always ordered medium, and when I got my 12-string DBR in '08, again medium. And I've also tried every tuning except 4ths/4ths, always medium.
4ths/5ths, Emmett's original tuning.
What a concept!
Since I lower the 5ths a half-step in DBR, my inner ten strings relationship is that of the "Classic" tuning, with the melody strings an octave lower.
All that experimentation and I'm back to the beginning, again.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
I use P4 (all fourths) tuning on guitar already & have a good mental image of the fretboard pattern (a moveable pattern of scale degrees rather that a fixed one with note names), so I hope that's going to be helpful. I was deligheted when I worked out that the 5th's on the bass side actually give exactly the same pattern, it's just that the string to string differences are in the opposite direction, so a triad pattern I'm used to is still a triad, but is now in an inversion. It wil be an interesting 'culture shock' to hear that, but hopefully I'll get to accommodate it before too long? :)

Yes! That realization was the "aha" moment that I became confident I could learn this instrument. Very familiar territory.

As to string gauge, I went with medium, simply on the "Goldilocks" principle. I figure in support of the first task - getting my fingers to go where they need to go, accurately and coordinated between the two hands - it probably doesn't make a bit of difference what gauge I use. After I gain some proficiency (in 10 years or so :roll: ) I can start exploring the nuances of articulation and string gauge might become a more important choice! :lol:

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
As to string gauge, I went with medium, simply on the "Goldilocks" principle.

There's a lot to be said for it! In one of the topics I linked to Emmett calls it the 'Golden Mean' & also mentions how his move from light to medium caused him to adapt his style.

SteveS wrote:
After I gain some proficiency (in 10 years or so :roll: ) I can start exploring the nuances of articulation and string gauge might become a more important choice! :lol:

My thoughts too largely, but I have had a few finger joint issues at times so anything that helps reduce strain can be helpful.

My impression from the search was that on a well set up stick the force required for the 'play' stroke varies very little between gauges. The bigger difference is with bends & so on? Beyond that the different weights lead to varying sound, but in that respect it's just one of many variables.

I've now placed an order, for a 12 string Railboard. :)
That means I'm still interested in thoughts on the 'High Bass 4th' concept. I've gone for RMR tuning & there isn't an 'advertised' variant of that with 'High Bass 4th' but I'm assuming the concept would be just as valid in that context as any other?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

My experience with guitar is that bending is a tradeoff. With lighter strings it's much easier to perform bends, but you have to bend the strings more to get the same pitch change. Heavier strings take more oomph to bend, but you have to bend them much less to hit a specific pitch. I'm assuming that this is the case for Sticks as well.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

High Bass 4th can be done on any instrument I de-tune as the whim suits. My strings stay on, on average, a year, and I have as yet to break a string while tuning up/down.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
High Bass 4th can be done on any instrument I de-tune as the whim suits. My strings stay on, on average, a year, and I have as yet to break a string while tuning up/down.

Thank you, I think that's the crucial bit of info? I didn't want to be risking eating up strings at an excessive rate by experimenting.

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
...bending is a tradeoff...lighter strings...easier...but...bend ...more to get...same...change. Heavier strings...more...to bend, but...bend them...less to hit...pitch. I'm assuming that this is the case for Sticks as well.

That makes sense. I've never yet been a big bender of strings, just a modest amount.

I'm fascinated to see when sort of things feel right on the Railboard. In my very limited experience so far I've found that different instruments (guitar, bass, keys & voice) incline me in different musical directions. When I started trying wordless 'personal language' vocal improv I was astounded to discover that what wants to come out often has a Latin feel - no idea where that came from?

Bach, of course, is great on everything! :)

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 am