It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm

Newbie advice thread/board? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Newbie advice thread/board?
pat wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself, I am not saying this information doesn't exist... only that I wish it were easier to find in one place. Thanks for sharing some links/hints here - for sure I will check them out! I just hope it is easy for other newbies to find, as well.

Welcome to the Forum! I think you have a very valid point. When I started some 5 years ago I spent many hours searching and reading the forum and the Stick Enterprises site, and still had many questions. Over the past 5 years as I have changed from a "rank newbie" with no knowledge, to a "somewhat knowledgeable beginner", I have gained a lot of understanding. But it would have been very helpful to have a beginner's thread. It might take a lot of work by some volunteers here but it could be done.
Good luck with your quest! I still struggle after 5 years, but with different issues than when I started. Learning good technique and practice are the keys... like with most things in life.

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 am

Post Re: Newbie advice thread/board?
pat wrote:
it is a little surprising how bad a newcomer like myself can be, even despite experience with guitar, keyboard, orchestral strings, etc. which I've taken for granted as coming "naturally" whereas this seems like a disproportionately large struggle for some reason. It has been a little demoralizing, but nevertheless I've been managing to stick with it so far (bad pun not intended) and am making progress on scales/etc.

I had the same feeling, despite the guitar / bass / keyboard / linstrument / ewi, flute etc.. Decided it was not for me and I should sell it and concentrate on the other instruments.

Then I spent some quality time with the stick by the side of my chair and just fiddling around with it - not even necessarily trying to play it, but just tapping and sliding around whenever I got the opportunity, and then playing the adverts from the tv when it was on etc on both sides (without plugging it it). That seemed to add a huge amount of 'familiarity with it' - just the feel of it, so it didn't feel awkward. Then I tried doing a load of covers with it, of just stuff I knew, and then some of the known stick things, like tony levins stuff with peter gabriel.

Now it actually feels a lot more comfortable and like something I can actually do something with. Don't get me wrong, i am still not good, but I can see I could be with practice and I certainly don't want to sell it any more.

Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:58 am