It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:44 pm

15 minutes of? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post 15 minutes of?
Jam / practise session.

Last edited by ReyStick on Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:33 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: 15 minutes of?
:D Sorry man, I didn't have the patience to listen to all 15 minutes of it...

And that's not to say that there's anything bad about your playing or the collection of ideas you present because from what I heard there are some great ideas spinning around in there just waiting to be developed - but I think you are past the "scurrying around frantically exploring the wilderness" phase for a bit. Please don't take offence, I think you have a lot of really cool ideas and are a prolific music poster - so keep on posting music, that's great!

I am thinking it's time to take an idea, and run with it for a bit. A small statement that means something to you that is fun to play, feels natural, and grooves. In particular definitely try to get a real pulse happening... The ideas are cool, but maybe it's okay to do less and be at peace with the fact that simple music is just as valid as grossly complicated music - maybe moreso, as the listener just simply wants to hear a tune, you know? Not everyone needs to be blown away with virtuosity.

I know that in reflection of my own practice/playing with the Stick, I could have really benefited from just playing melody side (RH) stuff and literally just letting the LH be a metronome for a year or two as I got more comfortable with the instrument. That's just me though.

Keep on rocking!

Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

[quote="Jayesskerr"]:D Sorry man, I didn't have the patience to listen to all 15 minutes of it...

No worries man, I'm glad you tried. I have a hard time getting through it too. That's why i don't leave stuff up very long (once someone replies you can't delete the post). Most of the time i will listen to something i am doing, and say that's not too bad, then i listen again, and say what am i doing, no one wants to hear this.

<<And that's not to say that there's anything bad about your playing or the collection of ideas you present because from what I heard there are some great ideas spinning around in there just waiting to be developed - but I think you are past the "scurrying around frantically exploring the wilderness" phase for a bit. Please don't take offence, I think you have a lot of really cool ideas and are a prolific music poster - so keep on posting music, that's great!>>

Thanks, i like my ideas., developing my ideas is what i am trying to do, just haven't found a finished product yet.

I hope to never stop scurrying around frantically exploring the wilderness, as it teaches me my language, and my territory.
I understand someone needs a path, and i do try to play rudiments. There is a time to slow down, and focus, hopefully soon. This is what i have, and what I am doing for now.

<<I am thinking it's time to take an idea, and run with it for a bit. A small statement that means something to you that is fun to play, feels natural, and grooves.>>

I have been trying to do this since i got my first Stick. but my attention span is very short, i try to read 2 bars, and try to figure out the infinite possibilities of making those 2 bars, and go off on a tangent.

<<In particular definitely try to get a real pulse happening... The ideas are cool, but maybe it's okay to do less and be at peace with the fact that simple music is just as valid as grossly complicated music - maybe moreso, as the listener just simply wants to hear a tune, you know? Not everyone needs to be blown away with virtuosity.>>

i am trying to learn the instrument, and how to play it, in order to express the ideas i have, and don't have. the ideas that come to me when i play. let your fingers do the walking was something the yellow pages said. simply playing, playing simply. start off slowly, expand from there, or start off fast, and slow down from there. who is to say? I just have fun with it, I am not really sure where I am going with it, or what i want. All I know is that when i have the Stick on me, I am in another world, whether someone likes it or not at the time doesn't bother me that much, I know where my playing is, and if I thought it was great, i would say this is my greatest achievement thus far, or something to that effect.
This is just practice for now.

<<I know that in reflection of my own practice/playing with the Stick, I could have really benefited from just playing melody side (RH) stuff and literally just letting the LH be a metronome for a year or two as I got more comfortable with the instrument. That's just me though.>>

this is a good statement. right hand melody stuff with left hand metronome.
why not left/right hand metronome with right/left hand melody stuff.
i try to have the patience of tapping the left hand while working melody with the right, then try tapping the metronome with the right hand, and try left hand melody stuff.. i do it from time to time, and it does help, as any practice, or rudimentary exercises help. Why does the practice help,? because it maps your fingers to the sounds of the board, when we hear something on the board, we try to re create it, until it sounds right.

here is a 24 minute practice set, if you have the time. If you don't it's o.k.
Thanks for listening, or watching as long as you want.

https://youtu.be/-PuK65gFU9s

I appreciate the feedback Sir. :)
Rock and Roll

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just checked it out, I love watching practice videos! Fun stuff, and thanks for sharing your progress.

So hey, there is a bit there you play - a chord progression you keep coming back to that sounds somewhat like a few chords in “House Of The Rising Sun”, I like that... sounds cool.

Not sure that the thumb stuff adds anything at this point to me, it almost sounds like a “ hey I should use my thumb for a bit...” kind of situation; visually looks complicated but when I close my eyes and listen it’s coming across as more of an interruption than a piece of music...

Is there any way you could hammer the chord progression bit with a metronome as just an experiment? (start super slow then gradually build speed, keeping good time) I, think that since that chord progression bit comes naturally and sounds the best that it might be an excellent starting point, you know do a few hundred variations on the same thing before moving on and see what kind of impact that has on your playing...

Also, although I have a tendency to play with 4 fingers, I have been spending quite a bit of time with a 3 finger approach, and for the most part it actually works out pretty elegantly... have you tried “ 3 fingering” it? Just for a different perspective?

The Stick is a harmony/self accompaniment machine - No other instrument quite like it... looking forward to your next clip!

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:27 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Ideas flashing by a mile a minute, many of them musical in a harmonic sense and others not so much. "Let your fingers do the walking" but there are too many of those yellow pages. You've got to read the categories then stop and rest somewhere at a goal.

ReyStick's fingers are busy, hands on, walking through a forest of techniques and musical statements, some worth a song, others just "tossed off" to the trashcan. I personally like the experience. I find it instructive - many lessons flying by on the fly.

"Hands on" is an excellent way to learn Stick technique and to explore music and harmony theory, which IMO is what ReyStick is practicing, putting into practice. No blueprint, just pure momentum. His hands rove across all aspects of the fretboard (well, maybe mostly at the lower pitched frets for now). Most importantly, his ears do the editing. You can tell when he likes something. That involves the heart as well.

When the songs come, that will be something to hear.

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thank you Gentlemen,
I appreciate the feedback.
I feel it coming to a head soon, hopefully, i just need to slow down, and focus on a song. i have something in mind but, i need to learn how i want to approach the chords, and where on the fret board i want to grab them. my first song will be simple, just to get the basics down, hopefully later it will expand.

Jay i have 10 fingers why not use them all, whenever possible.
i just started with the thumb a month or so ago and i like it. it expands the possibilities of the Stick. Bob Culbertson has a section on his dvd starting with the thumb. right now when i use it, it freezes my other fingers but i think the thumb is very important, and when i get it to start working independently of the other fingers it will be a great addition. fingerstyle guitar players need their thumbs. so why not try to develop that independence. thinking from a guitar standpoint the left hand does all the chord grabs hammers pulls etc. with 4 fingers, the right hand has the ability to do the same with the Stick, why not develop it? 3 fingers are great, but when i watch myself play, and i think what are these other 2 fingers doing, is there something wrong with them? put them to work.

Mr. Chapman, I will stop somewhere, and rest at a goal soon, the yellow pages are getting worn from turning them.
It means a lot to me that you take the time to listen, and comment. Thank you so much!
I know I owe you a song before Christmas. That will be my goal. It will be an original song, and simple, but hopefully something worth listening too, if only for a good chuckle.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey, hopefully no offence is taken from these posts of mine - I am most definitely not trying to poo-poo anyone's approach and I know from experience that everyone's journey on this instrument is going to be somewhat unique... But it's worth discussing the options available, yes?

Sure, use all 10 fingers - nothing wrong with it and I am definitely not disputing anyone's use of them. But at the end of it all, just because someone used all 8 fingers and two thumbs, their face and their elbow - does it really enhance the musical experience for the player and the listener?

For instance, Yngwie Malmsteen - he's a super fast iconic guitarist who uses 3 fingers and an occasional pinky; good luck playing his stuff... (Go ahead and hate him - he is still ridiculously imitated and has a mansion and two Ferarris.... regularly sells out his concerts despite all kinds of people hating what he does) Django Reinhardt is another one who was missing some fingers, again... good luck playing his stuff... In the Stick world Greg Howard only uses 3 fingers, and his stuff is not lacking because of it.... And honestly, the audience doesn't care what fingers are used, as long as it sounds good.

The fingering thing on Stick is something I really wrestled with, because I always used a 4 fingers for 4 frets approach as a guitarist but then again I sightread a lot, so that kind of approach helps that and because I was comfortable with it, it carries over into other walks of life on other instruments. But on the Stick, I have to wonder - which way is actually more efficient? I mean it's worth at least checking out and perhaps deciding for yourself what techniques and limbs are required to actually enhance the quality of the music being played.

Also, you see some really good Stick players who do a great job with three Fingers (Greg, Rodrigo) and those who play with 4 (Bob, Steve). And then there's other guys like Stanley Jordan, Adam Fulara, TJ Helmerich, Steve Lynch, Jennifer Batten, Joe Satriani, EVH, Steve Vai, Stue Hamm, Michael Manning, Billy Sheehan etc etc etc who tap on their own respective instruments with their own respective approach. heck, lots of guys do a bend and then tap a note while still bent for great musical effect (Colin James) So definitely a wide range of available methodology and musical context.

I will say this, I have recorded similar passages played with 4 vs 3 fingers into a DAW and looked at the waveforms, the pinky notes are much quieter and more prone to rhythmic uncertainty; which can be a cool effect or almost unnoticeable depending on the musical context. Sometimes I want it, sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's the only way to get it, but most often it's a lot of unnecessary work trying to drill the technique into perfection via pinky punishment.

Here is the thing, you can literally do something with ONE finger on each hand on the Stick that your average guitarist and bass player might struggle to put together and since it's on one instrument, one player, it will groove harder, The "Stick advantage" I suppose...

Food for thought. :D

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Hey, hopefully no offence is taken from these posts of mine - I am most definitely not trying to poo-poo anyone's approach and I know from experience that everyone's journey on this instrument is going to be somewhat unique... But it's worth discussing the options available, yes?

(No offence, again i appreciate the input. different strokes for different folks)

Sure, use all 10 fingers - nothing wrong with it and I am definitely not disputing anyone's use of them. But at the end of it all, just because someone used all 8 fingers and two thumbs, their face and their elbow - does it really enhance the musical experience for the player and the listener?

(If done properly, yes)

For instance, Yngwie Malmsteen - he's a super fast iconic guitarist who uses 3 fingers and an occasional pinky; good luck playing his stuff... (Go ahead and hate him - he is still ridiculously imitated and has a mansion and two Ferarris.... regularly sells out his concerts despite all kinds of people hating what he does) Django Reinhardt is another one who was missing some fingers, again... good luck playing his stuff... In the Stick world Greg Howard only uses 3 fingers, and his stuff is not lacking because of it.... And honestly, the audience doesn't care what fingers are used, as long as it sounds good.

(Use as many fingers as you feel comfortable with. I like a challenge, and i am not trying to play like anyone else. I am trying to use what i learn, hopefully soon it will sound like something.)

The fingering thing on Stick is something I really wrestled with, because I always used a 4 fingers for 4 frets approach as a guitarist but then again I sightread a lot, so that kind of approach helps that and because I was comfortable with it, it carries over into other walks of life on other instruments. But on the Stick, I have to wonder - which way is actually more efficient? I mean it's worth at least checking out and perhaps deciding for yourself what techniques and limbs are required to actually enhance the quality of the music being played.

(Agreed. the only way to accomplish this is to explore the possibilities. Whatever way you feel comfortable with, is the way to play the stick.)

Also, you see some really good Stick players who do a great job with three Fingers (Greg, Rodrigo) and those who play with 4 (Bob, Steve). And then there's other guys like Stanley Jordan, Adam Fulara, TJ Helmerich, Steve Lynch, Jennifer Batten, Joe Satriani, EVH, Steve Vai, Stue Hamm, Michael Manning, Billy Sheehan etc etc etc who tap on their own respective instruments with their own respective approach. heck, lots of guys do a bend and then tap a note while still bent for great musical effect (Colin James) So definitely a wide range of available methodology and musical context.

(That's great, and I agree with you, they practiced, and studied their method, or technique, I am studying mine, from what I am learning from the books that I have, and the people I see and hear play, and my free will.)

I will say this, I have recorded similar passages played with 4 vs 3 fingers into a DAW and looked at the waveforms, the pinky notes are much quieter and more prone to rhythmic uncertainty; which can be a cool effect or almost unnoticeable depending on the musical context. Sometimes I want it, sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's the only way to get it, but most often it's a lot of unnecessary work trying to drill the technique into perfection via pinky punishment.

(I never thought of the pinky as a punishment when I was learning fingerstyle guitar, I just thought of it as another digit that needed to be honed. with practice the pinky could sound just the same as any other finger.)

Here is the thing, you can literally do something with ONE finger on each hand on the Stick that your average guitarist and bass player might struggle to put together and since it's on one instrument, one player, it will groove harder, The "Stick advantage" I suppose...

Food for thought.

(I thank you sir. I am not trying to hold down the bass line, and play. I am just trying to play, and make it sound good. I am not there yet, but I seem to be on the hard road, and that's ok. I enjoy the Stick when I play it, I am not trying to be a rockstar. If i do make something worthwhile, then great. If my song may sound better from someone else using one finger thats great too.

I do not take any offence to anyone giving me advice. I take it and use it. Next week i may be ripping some 3 finger scales in the free hands book. I am only on lesson 3. After 3 years, and I still haven't learned lesson 1 and 2 yet.)

Godspeed.
LoVeTheSTiCk.

:D

Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I will definitely be looking up some of these people that you mentioned, because I don't know many of them.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:05 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It's a big world, there's a lot of music out there.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:54 pm