It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am

Dusting off old exercises 
Post Dusting off old exercises
Last night, after a mishap with the second string on my Stick :oops: , I decided it was a great time to practice two-handed bass.

So, I dusted off Tap Twister #4 and really practiced it with the added help of Greg's video on bass. This is the first time I have ever worked on that riff on my Stick with Rails because I only had the vintage instrument for so long. I was amazed and how much easier it worked.

This allowed me to go to bed happy instead of crying over my broken string. :D

Not to worry: Cambria and I spoke last night on the phone and I have a new set headed my way. It was time to change them anyway.

Any old technique studies or tunes y'all have dusted off recently you'd care to share?

Michael

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Dusting off old exercises
http://www.thecrains.net/stick/
http://www.thecrains.net/stick/SELessons-sample.pdf

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lesson 3
Simple blues in C.
Free Hands.
Realizing the notes of the scale patterns, do not necessarily need to be played individually, but may be barred, double or triple stop, also realizing chord patterns in the scales, and scales in the chord patterns. Both hands both sides with open hands.
I have to stop curling my fingers, and play with the pads of my fingers. This creates a lighter touch, and more of everything.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am
ReyStick wrote:
Lesson 3
Simple blues in C.
Free Hands.
Realizing the notes of the scale patterns, do not necessarily need to be played individually, but may be barred, double or triple stop, also realizing chord patterns in the scales, and scales in the chord patterns. Both hands both sides with open hands.
I have to stop curling my fingers, and play with the pads of my fingers. This creates a lighter touch, and more of everything.

I stumbled upon this book and Greg’s book in a drawer under an XLR cable last week. I’ll have to look up that exercise and give it another go. I never appreciated how much those exercises shaped the way I play until just recently.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Free Hands gives you everything you need to know. Really. I mean, all the other materials are quite valuable (I have everyone's books & most of the DVDs) but you can pick up F.H.s and use it for any 4ths/5ths tuning by transposing & adding a string here and there and get the entire concept and necessary techniques all in one book and take it to wherever your music wants to go. That's brilliant.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery