It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 am

Tips for beginners with smaller hands? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tips for beginners with smaller hands?
Thanks Randy and Brett for the nod. I spend a lot of time teaching ergonomics, especially since the technique is really best approached as a unique technique rather than simply fretting the way people do on guitar or bass.

One of the things that will help you reach things more easily is to place the instrument more vertically, which increases the range of angles for the left arm. Don't feel like you have to keep your fingers parallel to the frets. This can be really limiting.

If you haven't already checked it out, this video has clear examples left hand chords and explains how the angle of the arm improves reach, and also helps you keep your wrist straight.

One time I compared my hands to Bob Culbertson's just to see how different they were, and his pinkies are a good 1/4" longer than mine. So there are things he can comfortably do on the highest melody strings that I prefer to use the other three fingers for. Because I can rotate the left hand so much more in relation to the board, this is not an issue for that hand.

I hope this helps.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery