It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:58 am

POLL: tunings for songbook 

Which tuning do you prefer for a songbook?
10-string Baritone Melody 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
10-string Classic 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
10-string Matched Reciprocal 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
10-string Deep Matched Reciprocal 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
10-string Deep Baritone Melody 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
10-string other 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
12-string Classic (includes 7+5) 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
12-string Matched Reciprocal 28%  28%  [ 15 ]
12-string Deep Matched Reciprocal 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
12-string other 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

POLL: tunings for songbook 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post POLL: tunings for songbook
Hi everyone,

I'm getting close to having the songbook done.

Please vote for the tuning and string configuration you use. If it's not one of the choices listed, please chose "other" and specify.

All of the compositions were written using Baritone Melody, which is incorporated into the 12- String Classic, so those will be covered. Also 12-string Matched Reciprocal will be a simple matter of playing melody two frets higher.

Several of the tunes don't use the lowest melody string at all, so they will be playable on the Classic 10-string and 10-string MR. None of them use the highest Grand bass string, so high bass 4th on 12-string tunings isn't important.

If there are enough of you who need it, I will consider making an MR version, but it would need to be quite a few, I think, as it's a lot of work to rework the charts.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to do two versions (one for both Classic 10 and MR 10), so here's your chance to speak up for your tuning.

14 Tunes in the book:

Adrift
Blue Ridge
Blues for Ayman
Blues for the Status Quo
Cross Country
Del Mar
El Chicle
Goya's Dream
Morning Song
Quince Street
Requiem for Persephone
Sangre de Cristo
Softly She Walks
Where are you Tonight?

The book will also have lead sheets of all the tunes so that you can learn them on other tunings, just without all the specific fingering and placement information.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: POLL: tunings for songbook
I'm really looking forward to this, Greg. I could handle Classic or MR so don't wait on this MR user. I'm also noticing something as I get more experienced on Stick and StaffTab. I'm using the fret markers and fingerings less over time. I think that's a good thing!

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Last edited by EricTheGray on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

A possible release date, maybe? I'm really looking forward for it too!!!

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grozoeil wrote:
A possible release date, maybe? I'm really looking forward for it too!!!

Hi Bruno and Eric,

I hope to have it out by the end of April. My plan is to release a CD along with it of recorded versions, some of which I am going to remix, and a couple will be new recordings. So once I get the book done I will focus on those.

Thanks for all the votes so far!

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg, this is fantastic! I can't wait to learn how to play Blue Ridge!

And I voted for 10 String MR, since that's my tuning. But Classic would work fine as well, since it's a simple 2 fret difference. No big deal.

Padauk 10 String #4951
DBM Tuning

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Greg ... how about releasing a video of you playing each song for we people who would rather learn by ear and sight? :) I can read at a "very basic" level (enough to follow the real book) but can learn by ear 50 times faster. As a matter of fact my ears HURT my reading skills because once I play through something and get it under my fingers I know it and stop reading. I've tried FORCING myself to read but once I learn a piece of music .... well ... it's learnt. So Yes ... I AM a poor reader who prefers to learn by ear! ;)

I'd VERY much perfer instructional videos where i can listen and see!
(I'll no doubt buy the package anyway! ;) )

BTW ... will the recordings of these songs by newly recorded versions?

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
Greg ... how about releasing a video of you playing each song for we people who would rather learn by ear and sight? :) I can read at a "very basic" level (enough to follow the real book) but can learn by ear 50 times faster. As a matter of fact my ears HURT my reading skills because once I play through something and get it under my fingers I know it and stop reading. I've tried FORCING myself to read but once I learn a piece of music .... well ... it's learnt. So Yes ... I AM a poor reader who prefers to learn by ear! ;)

I'd VERY much perfer instructional videos where i can listen and see!
(I'll no doubt buy the package anyway! ;) )

BTW ... will the recordings of these songs by newly recorded versions?

Hi Ray,

I'll take your request to heart. One motivation I have for doing books, though, is to help improve music reading, for myself as well.

The recorded versions for several of the tunes will be from CDs, but remixed or remastered so that the whole things works as a CD, too. For a couple of the tunes the chart is the whole tune transcribed, including the solo.

I'll be re-recording two solo tunes "Del Mar" and "Requiem for Persephone" which were originally released on a cassette back in 1987, so they don't sound so hot.

I also have drum tracks that I've never used from 2005 stdio sessions for a new version of "Quince Street" and also for "Blues for the Status Quo," which I've never released on disc.

Thanks for the interest.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Greg,

Looking forward to your book. Will any of the stuff be easy? If not look for my upcoming book called called "Easy Tunes for Stick Noobs." :lol: Just Kidding

Reading these posts makes me wonder if a Finale template could be produced that would automatically adjust fret numbers based on the tuning.

I used to be pretty good with Finale but have not used it much in recent years. But, from what I remember it could be possible. Perhaps an invisible tablature could be superimposed on the staff linking the notes to fret numbers, or some some other trick might do it.

Thoughts.

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jeffcomas wrote:
Hi Greg,

Looking forward to your book. Will any of the stuff be easy? If not look for my upcoming book called called "Easy Tunes for Stick Noobs." :lol: Just Kidding

Reading these posts makes me wonder if a Finale template could be produced that would automatically adjust fret numbers based on the tuning.

I used to be pretty good with Finale but have not used it much in recent years. But, from what I remember it could be possible. Perhaps an invisible tablature could be superimposed on the staff linking the notes to fret numbers, or some some other trick might do it.

Thoughts.

Hi Jeff,

Some of the tunes are early compositions and are quite easy. It really runs the gamut. Written exercises before each tune will help prepare you to play the chart.

Thanks for voting, keep on voting!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

greg wrote:
Some of the tunes are early compositions and are quite easy. It really runs the gamut. Written exercises before each tune will help prepare you to play the chart.

I know I shouldn't be hanging around for the book but, having refound my Stick after a short layoff, this should really galvanise my efforts!

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 am