It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:32 pm

Training to Teach? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Training to Teach?
About a year ago I took an early retirement, then took an adjunct position at a local university teaching financial accounting and auditing. Patience is key. Since taking this job I've gotten really frustrated at times with my students. Not every 18 yo has a deep yearning for learning. Even though I have over 20 years of accounting/auditing experience, nothing prepared me for student behavior.

You shouldn't have some of the same problems with adult learners, but still patience is key. I have had issues learning the stick, mostly because I haven't dedicated enough practice time toward improving my playing. If you encounter someone like me, don't take it personally..... and be patient.

Mon May 28, 2018 10:20 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

It would seem that my hurried writing was ambiguous. I was asking about the breadth and depth of playing skills which I would need to develop—particularly because I will not be able to afford tuition for a good while. Motivation, dedication, patience, and communication come naturally to me: I am an extrovert who has spent three decades consciously enduring constant pain. Thanks again to Randy for recognizing the former in my previous posts. Some folks here can attest to my patience, specifically, though I will not put them on the spot by naming them.

Each of my other passions for which I could train have clearly-defined roadmaps for skill development, a notable example being Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. This is not to ignore or denigrate artistic development in musical education, mind. Whereas I have a good idea of what I would need to know to teach those disciplines and a basic understanding of the typical pedagogies, I have no such understanding of teaching Stick.

Mon May 28, 2018 10:30 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm currently taking lessons from Robstafarian on sound design and best practices with pedalboard construction. I've learned a good deal about impedance, cabling and understanding the nature of sound in general. It has definitely given me confidence in putting together my most recent version of the pedalboard.

As far as being a Stick Instructor, it seems that would happen over time. One would think that having a foundation in reading and writing would be a core competency, but in the case of the Stick, it might not be. Awareness of the instrument, how to play it and get a good sound out of it are all aspects of teaching that could be done just on the basis of having seen one's video.

Like Steve said, it's a two street.

Some recurring traits that I see in my favorite teachers are
* They have a lot of experience - they know what NOT to do
* They are life long learners - the learning experience is a shared experience
* Humor - humor or tragedy, I'll take humor
* Challenges you without tasking you relevant to your learning goals - if I want homework, I'll go back to City College

I've also been taking a few lessons in Ableton. Other topics have come to the surface since I've been doing so, like composition and decision-making in the creative process. I did not see that coming, but it's so crucial and I had no idea it was such a burden for me all these years.

Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hey shoutout to another Brazilian Jiu Jitsu stickist!

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Mon May 28, 2018 2:06 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
...I have no such understanding of teaching Stick.

...may be, I can't judge about this...
...but why you want teach playing the stick?...

Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Markussz wrote:
...Patience is key....If you encounter someone like me, don't take it personally..... and be patient.

...hit the black in the middle of...

Mon May 28, 2018 2:30 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The_Afro_Circus wrote:
Hey shoutout to another Brazilian Jiu Jitsu stickist!

I have wanted to train for almost 13 years, and I still have no idea how I could afford to do so.

Mon May 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Balt-A-Sar wrote:
...may be, I can't judge about this...
...but why you want teach playing the stick?...

1. It is a job which I could, hypothetically, do.
  2. I love the Stick community.
  3. I want to help strengthen said community.
  4. I want to help ensure that the Stick endures throughout the decades to come.
  5. I have always been passionate about both communication and education, as elements of human progress (another one of my passions).
  6. I love music.
  7. As my body deteriorates, I will remain connected to the breadth of humanity.

Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Rob.

I’ve been teaching drums nearly as long as I’ve been playing them. My mum was a classroom art teacher and she gave me the passion for sharing, fun and excellence.

She also gave me some immortal advice one time. Teaching is 3 things, inspiration, supplying the student with tools belonging to the task and thirdly sustenance or maintaining the contact, support and interest of the student as a duty of care.

There’s going to be a bit cross fading between these three aspects, but I’m sure you can see the implication of these three, based on your experiences so far.

I’d like to reflect some of the things that folk have already said. If you’re new to the experience of teaching, stick with your strengths (pun intended ) but also consider what things you feel stick students need. The bonus is that you’ll be dealing with a bunch of fairly self motivated students, who would be self motivated playing this thing.

While the industrial military complex makes it harder for us, especially you beautiful cats in Am, to make a crust, I’d hope that you’re as connected if not more so, to the generosity of spirit that is teaching. If you’re not, then you’ll burn out and won’t be able to sustain a teaching practice. It’s same rave I give my drum students when I suggest that they teach. The outcome of which has been that , over time, I have also had more students come to me. These things are quantifyable in a small town.

I hope that inspires and gives you some direction, like other other folk have done.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Last edited by Stickrad on Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 28, 2018 6:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Okay, I think the answer you are looking for is this:

1. Hand movement - repeated notes

Emmett’s method which has been solidified by Greg.
This technique is essential to any tapping instrument using the free hands method.
Get Greg’s DVD

2. Stick specific theory - 5ths bass

Learn the spread arpeggios R 5 10 plus all others on the bass side.

Get Greg’s stick book

3. Music theory - know chords scales arpeggios... everything in time

4. Make music - document how YOU learn practice teaching others.

It takes time, it has to be a calling ‘cause you’re not going to get rich from it.

5. Good luck and if you need free advice watch Josh’s videos....and all the others....and feel free to ask me I teach music for a living (as do others here)

Mon May 28, 2018 7:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery