It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 am

Training to Teach? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Training to Teach?
Folks, I will try to write this as concisely as possible. I have been trying to determine my best hope for affording the cost of living, given that I am unable to maintain normal employment. My invention is extraordinarily unlikely to achieve said goal, and I know damned well that my interests in fighting games and Go are even less likely. This led me to think about my forthcoming Alto Stick in terms of training, meaning consciously-managed skill development, rather than simply playing for enjoyment.

My question is, essentially, what would I need to know to teach? I am trying to conceive an approximate end goal, though learning never stops, such that I can determine the most efficient route to achieving that goal. Any advice you all can offer regarding either would be most appreciated. I would like to hear from those who teach, naturally, but I am also quite interested in students' perspectives.

Whereas I may never be good enough to teach, I figure that plotting and navigating such a course could only make me a better musician. Besides, I have long been frustrated with people ignoring or belittling my gear advice, which might be a source of income, because I am not a skilled musician.

Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Training to Teach?
Be prepared to explain the same thing a million different times and a million different ways, sometimes both of these to a single student. Everyone learns differently and at different paces, and teaching is as much about knowing how to bridge the gap between how you understand a concept and how the student learns it as it is about the concepts themselves.

As for the knowledge base itself, I am reminded of a good quote that helps in my teaching: if you can't explain it in a way that even a 5 year old can understand, you should take more time to understand it yourself.

Hope that helps and best of luck on your path forward.

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool topic, I am going to with in with as honest a reply as I can give, hopefully it gets you thinking and maybe it's direct enough to help you find your niche. I am NOT trying to dissuade you, nor am I trying to make you feel bad or be negative about your pursuit, but rather maybe impart to you the sheer mountain of groundwork that will have to be done in order to be a teacher, especially with this instrument. It can be absolutely draining, and it's an important job. Take this with a dash of humour, but I am deadly serious about my practicing and learning. Greg, Bob, Emmett and Steve do a great job as instructors so there is that to consider.

I guess you have to ask yourself, what is it that you hope to offer a potential student?

Pretend that I am a potential student. You are going to take my money (Which I work my balls off for, but will happily pay if it helps me improve) in exchange for...?

Here's what Feel I need work on:
-Fretboard/instrument knowledge
-Simultaneous improv a la Bach 2 part inventions
-Dynamic phrasing and chop-building (I'm stuck at single hand 16ths at 180bpm as far as a speed block goes)
-Sightreading - I currently recognize approximately 48 notes per minute on average, both clefs 2 separate voices. I am always looking to improve this, as it is the key to everything for me.
-Playing changes (soloing), hitting key centers on a tune like Autumn Leaves eventually without pre-planning it, inserting tritone subs and passing diminished a la Mike Stern.
-Developing my own voice - Taking what I already do on other instruments and applying it to this one.
-Rapid fire learning. I am always looking for tips and tricks on how to learn tunes quickly.
-Better pitch recognition, hearing things in multiple voices and of course away from the instrument.
-More rhythmic control with separate voices 'on the fly'.
-Practical arrangement concepts that I can use in real time.
-I am primarily tuned in mirrored 4ths on a grand, and raised matched reciprocal for my Railboard
I am NOT going to change my tuning, the teacher gets to work around that.
-I am an educated idiot, if you can't explain something as if I were a five your old I am probably not going to get it...

Now keep in mind that I am the sort of nightmare student that everyone wishes would go away, (And I have for the most part) but it might get you thinking....

Good luck!

Sun May 27, 2018 1:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Cool topic, I am going to with in with as honest a reply as I can give, hopefully it gets you thinking and maybe it's direct enough to help you find your niche. I am NOT trying to dissuade you, nor am I trying to make you feel bad or be negative about your pursuit, but rather maybe impart to you the sheer mountain of groundwork that will have to be done in order to be a teacher, especially with this instrument. It can be absolutely draining, and it's an important job. Take this with a dash of humour, but I am deadly serious about my practicing and learning. Greg, Bob, Emmett and Steve do a great job as instructors so there is that to consider.

I guess you have to ask yourself, what is it that you hope to offer a potential student?

Pretend that I am a potential student. You are going to take my money (Which I work my balls off for, but will happily pay if it helps me improve) in exchange for...?

Here's what Feel I need work on:
-Fretboard/instrument knowledge
-Simultaneous improv a la Bach 2 part inventions
-Dynamic phrasing and chop-building (I'm stuck at single hand 16ths at 180bpm as far as a speed block goes)
-Sightreading - I currently recognize approximately 48 notes per minute on average, both clefs 2 separate voices. I am always looking to improve this, as it is the key to everything for me.
-Playing changes (soloing), hitting key centers on a tune like Autumn Leaves eventually without pre-planning it, inserting tritone subs and passing diminished a la Mike Stern.
-Developing my own voice - Taking what I already do on other instruments and applying it to this one.
-Rapid fire learning. I am always looking for tips and tricks on how to learn tunes quickly.
-Better pitch recognition, hearing things in multiple voices and of course away from the instrument.
-More rhythmic control with separate voices 'on the fly'.
-Practical arrangement concepts that I can use in real time.
-I am primarily tuned in mirrored 4ths on a grand, and raised matched reciprocal for my Railboard
I am NOT going to change my tuning, the teacher gets to work around that.
-I am an educated idiot, if you can't explain something as if I were a five your old I am probably not going to get it...

Now keep in mind that I am the sort of nightmare student that everyone wishes would go away, (And I have for the most part) but it might get you thinking....

Good luck!

Thanks very much!

Sun May 27, 2018 1:51 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Is your intent to teach purely for $$ sake? I think teaching is a calling.... After years of practice, sweat and applying oneself teaching may become a calling for some. There are great players who are lousy teachers, there are average players who are incredible teachers. Based on your past posts on gear and equipment, you certainly have the ability to amass a lot of information, which has always impressed me. And I also think you have the tenacity and intent to do whatever you set your mind too. As an practitioner of Asian Medicine and martial arts for 50 years combined, , becoming a teacher is not something that happens right away, in fact, it is generally senior practitioners who have been practicing for 20-30 plus years who through years of clinical practice and study finally are "called" to teach.... I know this is different, however, it is about embodying the knowledge and the instrument and to be able to bring it forth... When you get your instrument (and by the way, I am glad you are back), I would start weekly or bi-weekly lessons with Greg Howard or one of the many fine teachers that we have in our community. I mention Greg, because I feel he has "that" embodiment of the instrument, music and technique that will give you a good foundation and approach to base your endeavor on. I have enjoyed studying with several teachers.... SteveA really has a great way of teaching theory and incredible touch board tricks to figure out chord extensions.Steve was responsible for me being able to understand theory (which I was very afraid of) Don Schiff, has an incredible style of helping pull out ideas and chord changes for tunes.... etc. As stated, I think you can do what ever you set your mind to... I would be clear on the intention of doing so. I support your effort, sir!!! Blessings and success to you.

Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

rclere wrote:
When you get your instrument (and by the way, I am glad you are back), I would start weekly or bi-weekly lessons with Greg Howard or one of the many fine teachers that we have in our community.

I will not be able to afford lessons for about a year, longer if I go to Interlochen. Rest assured, money is not the only reason I want to teach.

Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Have you considered giving guitar or bass lessons in your community? I mean, I'm not sure of where you are at musically, but it's a starting point - and a great way to find out if it's something you like doing?

Anyways, good luck!

Sun May 27, 2018 11:00 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Have you considered giving guitar or bass lessons in your community? I mean, I'm not sure of where you are at musically, but it's a starting point - and a great way to find out if it's something you like doing?

Anyways, good luck!

My guitar playing is shit because I spent years focused on my invention: I have, essentially, spent six years noodling for no more than 20 minutes at a time. Regarding bass, I could never handle the scale length.

Mon May 28, 2018 1:44 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

Anyways, good luck!

My guitar playing is shit because I spent years focused on my invention: I have, essentially, spent six years noodling for no more than 20 minutes at a time. Regarding bass, I could never handle the scale length.

Time to dig out the Berklee Books and a metronome and get to work, then eh?

Haha I barely played a guitar for the last 4 years because I was trying to get my Stick playing together. Lately, though I play more guitar than Stick, maybe just because I need a bit of a break - only 2 hours a day on Stick, it will likely continue that way until I break through a very frustrating speed barrier...

Mon May 28, 2018 8:08 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Teaching is about communication and inspiration.
Most coaches in pro sports are not athletic and some never played the game. But they are all good statisticians, analysts and above all, motivators. Many great guitarists who play their asses off, have no idea how to teach.
There's no magic. Knowledge, intuition, interaction, pace, listening and experience are among key agendas to be aware of. The teacher/student relationship is a two way street. I enjoy the experience, the lightbulb moments, the
progress , the sharing of ideas. Very gratifying

Steve A

Mon May 28, 2018 10:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery