It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

Year in review take 2 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Year in review take 2
Forgot to mention that work has been incredibly tough also this year, how I envy folks that can work on music all day!

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It is so true, what works for some may not be so effective for others so a “cookie cutter” approach doesn’t appeal to me even slightly. Probably because we all have different tastes and distastes, different experiences, and ultimately a very different context in which we might finally use all learned information.

In my opinion (don’t forget, I am nobody) I think that goal setting has to be reasonable, and it has to be tangible with a very clear “beginning” and “ending”.

“Improving my Improv” is something that I am always working on myself, but I know that is never ending, and there are a lot of moving parts required to improve that, and really some of those things required (supportive skills)may not even be perceived to be initially helpful towards that overall goal/endgame but it’s amazing how sometimes things like that explode through one’s playing...

Lol useless thoughts, but I post ‘em anyways. :D

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
It is so true, what works for some may not be so effective for others so a “cookie cutter” approach doesn’t appeal to me even slightly. Probably because we all have different tastes and distastes, different experiences, and ultimately a very different context in which we might finally use all learned information.

In my opinion (don’t forget, I am nobody) I think that goal setting has to be reasonable, and it has to be tangible with a very clear “beginning” and “ending”.

“Improving my Improv” is something that I am always working on myself, but I know that is never ending, and there are a lot of moving parts required to improve that, and really some of those things required (supportive skills)may not even be perceived to be initially helpful towards that overall goal/endgame but it’s amazing how sometimes things like that explode through one’s playing...

Lol useless thoughts, but I post ‘em anyways. :D

All good input!

Yes I believe a musicians Improvisation skills should be a never ending quest, unless you're Ron Carter. In a masterclass Ron Carter stated that he has NO musical weaknesses! I'll give him that because of his Legendary status, but for me I'll take John Stowell's attitude of always wanting to improve. It was about 1985 when John Stowell gave a guitar clinic at ASU, mind blown! Afterwards he spent a long time just chatting with us and it was awesome, he made us feel like us rookies were in on the same journey and I'll never forget that! Even though he was a monster musician, the idea that we all had more to learn and more we could all dig into really gave me the encouragement I needed then and even now!

For me, sometimes hearing about the struggles others have overcome gives me a lot more useful information than several folks piping in on how to fix me! Like the former Alcoholic teaching you how NOT to live, it has so much more impact than from some amazing PHD that has never suffered etc..

Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery