It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

String vibrational direction question 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post String vibrational direction question
I was just wondering...
A string that is tapped vibrates "up and down" in relation to the neck of the instrument(or the dowel rod vibrates vertically in relation to the table edge--according to Bob, in his book). A string that is plucked or bowed or strummed vibrates side-to-side in relation to the neck(I think...now that I try to visualize it, I am not sure if this is true). Do we Stickist's prefer the sound of the string vibrating in this perpendicular fashion? Can anyone really hear the difference apart from fact that it takes a more sensitive pickup to broadcast the noise?

I can only say that I loved the sound of "tapping" on my bass or guitar before I ever heard of the Stick. But not before I was aware of Tony Levin's playing(though I didn't know what he was playing on).

So, do we enjoy the sound of the Stick because of the way the strings vibrate? Or do we enjoy the sound of strings vibrating up and down because that is what The Stick sounds like? Or could it be both or neither? Or is it just late at night and I have been sleep deprived for days?

Mike

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: String vibrational direction question
No matter the direction of the initial force that excites a string it will very quickly settle into an elliptical motion replete with harmonic sub nodes. The thicker and/or longer the string, the more visible this fact becomes.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:52 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: String vibrational direction question
Well, that kinda puts an abrupt end to my pondering! But it is better to know the truth about things than to waste time in wrong thinking, I s'pose. So, thanks Captain.

There must be some reason, grounded in physics(one would assume), that I(and presumably, we) like and/or prefer the SOUND of the tapped string? I can't imagine the only desire to play an instrument with the "Free Hands" or other tapping method has to do with speed or ergonomics.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery