It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

Aches and Pains? Trey Gunn plays with instrument on his lap? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Aches and Pains? Trey Gunn plays with instrument on his
When I saw Trey perform here in Stockholm he took on a drummer's hat and played "fake tablas" on his Warr on the lap. He sounded just great as a hand drummer and played very well with the other musicians in the band. Maybe one should not confuse that percussive approach with playing melodic music on a fretboard tapping instrument?

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scott, yer playing so much that the Stick has become part of your clothing......like a damn 9lb t-shirt......no wonder you're getting aches and pains.

That being said, this whole community (doughy, middle aged, nerds....me included) could do themselves a giant favour and start lifting heavy weights and get yer asses in shape.....then the Stick weight won't be an issue anymore...

When you can't squeeze your thumb between the back of your Stick, and your big belly, it's time to evaluate your shit.

Seriously brothers....get your flabby asses to the gym....

Cheers,
Kev

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
Scott, yer playing so much that the Stick has become part of your clothing......like a damn 9lb t-shirt......no wonder you're getting aches and pains.

That being said, this whole community (doughy, middle aged, nerds....me included) could do themselves a giant favour and start lifting heavy weights and get yer asses in shape.....then the Stick weight won't be an issue anymore...

When you can't squeeze your thumb between the back of your Stick, and your big belly, it's time to evaluate your shit.

Seriously brothers....get your flabby asses to the gym....

Cheers,
Kev

Lol this was funny, good stuff Kev! Haha

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:24 pm

kevin-c wrote:

I resent that. I, for one, am not a doughy, middle-aged nerd. I'm a doughy old nerd... :ugeek:

Cheers
Harry

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

lminor7 wrote:
kevin-c wrote:

I resent that. I, for one, am not a doughy, middle-aged nerd. I'm a doughy old nerd... :ugeek:

Cheers
Harry

Ehehe,,,,
The Stick, ....the ultimate health barometer,,,,,,can't lift it?,,,yer out of shape......can't get yer thumb behind it without rubbing your Buddha?......yer gut is too big....

Eagerly anticipating the 12lb,12 string Railboard.........I am ready.

Cheers,
Farrah Moan

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
lminor7 wrote:
kevin-c wrote:

Cheers
Harry

Ehehe,,,,
The Stick, ....the ultimate health barometer,,,,,,can't lift it?,,,yer out of shape......can't get yer thumb behind it without rubbing your Buddha?......yer gut is too big....

Eagerly anticipating the 12lb,12 string Railboard.........I am ready.

Cheers,
Farrah Moan

Lol 12 lb 12 strings no sweat.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:40 am

Bringing the discussion back to Trey for a bit... I have to wonder if his use of his instruments in more horizontally-oriented playing positions is contributing to his wrist issues. I had the good fortune to see him and his band play live, back in the early oughts (2000's) and noticed that when he was soloing on the melody side of his instruments, he did move the neck downwards somewhat from the recommended angle. However, when he was focusing more on the bass side of the instruments, he brought the orientation more upright.

It could be that the Warr Guitar makes this easier to do than a Chapman Stick - the lack of a shoulder strap attached to near the headstock *and* the lack of a belt hook allows the former to be rotated despite its greater body weight.

This is not to knock his playing style or choice of instruments at all. I still believe he has made (and continues to make) excellent music, and enjoy listening to it as my appreciation for his talent deepens. But I have to ask whether the choice of instrument contributes to wrist issues. As a bassist (who sometimes plays 12-pound instruments, no joke) I can see how a more horizontal orientation could become an issue over time.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 am