It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

Seeking Independence (arghh..) 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Seeking Independence (arghh..)
Two heads inside of one. Yes, we already have that and much more. I'm saying, each head has its own "mind" about its musical role for the hands. If they can jell on different tasks but for one purpose, depth and dimension appear. Like stereo vision, you get something extra. It's a sensation.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:19 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BSharp wrote:
Two heads inside of one. Yes, we already have that and much more. I'm saying, each head has its own "mind" about its musical role for the hands. If they can jell on different tasks but for one purpose, depth and dimension appear. Like stereo vision, you get something extra. It's a sensation.

Another deep statement, thanks Emmett! (You made my day by noticing a Bach influence in an earlier post)

Even if the ability to truly divert one's attention to 2 or 3 (or 4 or more) simultaneous improvised parts is an impossible thing (anything is possible I think, though), I feel that it's a worthwhile goal to pursue. That's just me, though. Lots of work to be done, practicing and creating... The Stick provides a really unique medium for us to create and explore music.

Anyways, very cool thread.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:38 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

To quote Greg :: Much of the time, yes, there is a common goal. But there are those times, when, for example the left hand is holding down the bass line, and the right hand is playing a solo. Two distinct jobs in the band setting.

If we train ourselves to have more independence in the hands, both of these jobs will be done better, and with more creativity, because there will be less "forced interaction" between the hands.

To me, Stick paying means that you are always somewhere on a continuum between your maximum capabilities concerning independence and interdependence.

...........interdependence <-----> independence............

The more skilled you are at separating the hands the greater the dynamic range of the continuum, and the more extreme the two end-points become. The greater you have, the more you can do, and the easier it is to earn new music and to improvise...

interdependence <-------------------------> independence

This is why I think independence exercises are a good thing to practice.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I think that a pretty important statement by Greg, at least where I am heading, sometimes the interdependence thing is Perfect , being able to freely incorporate the opposite is my aim, and can I say in the few days since posting this I'm very nearly tapping out even time With the righ hand whilst the left grooves along. The times when this has almost fallen right into place have often been when I've been concentrating less on it, literally having a third distraction in the room, apart from what two hands are doing, curious.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery