It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:00 am

n00b - what am I doing wrong? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: n00b - what am I doing wrong?
I don't reckon you're doing anything wrong. You've got "beginners mind," welcome to the club!

Guitar brings much useful string knowledge to the Stick, but fretting notes is a world apart. I have to stop myself gripping and squeezing, and start thinking about what my fingers are doing.

Stick playing is light touch I think. It feels different and the fingers are less bent than guitar. So I turn up the volume and try to play lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Yeah i had that too.
I was forcing it too much was my problem. Which makes my arthritis in my arm flare up.
Pushing too hard on the strings. That may be why your arm hurts too. Proper relaxed position releives that for me i find. Its not a guitar, the stick only needs insanely light pressure compared to other instruments. That shows the quality and thought that went into making these.
Plus making sure i hit the note just before the fret.
Over time that will work itself out.
Its both incredibly frustrating and incredibly rewarding learning to play one. as with any instrument, you never stop learning.
Give yourself some time, stick players are a small club.
Lots and lots of resourses on youtube.
You will find your way before you know it.

Just don't give up.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

From a fellow noob, just over a year in....
I found similar problems in both ability and physical discomfort. At risk of repeating what has gone before on this thread my mantra would be "slow and steady wins the race" although, wonderfully, it is not a race that ever ends.

We have to remember that despite music being embedded in our genes, the physical act of playing a musical instrument is not a 'natural' thing humans do. Placing our bodies in certain unusual positions to make wondrous sounds: holding a violin with left arm held up at an an angle, cradling a tuba in our laps or standing with a stick-thing protruding from our waistbands and strapped to us at the neck...is not natural for the human body so when it is required the body will always take time to adjust.

My recommendation is to do short and regular sessions, as little as 10 mins at a time with 30-60 mins off. Not ideal when you have the bug and want to get to it all the time but it will benefit in the long run. I had huge pains in my left wrist because I found it was permanently bent in a little when I played, no matter how high and out I held my elbow. With time, and some stretching before and after playing my body adapted and that position starts to feel 'normal'.

I wish you all the best. Don't give up, i'm sure you wont. Patience and time will fix it all :-)

P

Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

All that has been said, the Stick IS an extremely ergonomic instrument. Just look at how easily it "hangs" in place. Can't be said for most instruments, and tapping instruments that have followed the Stick in particular. Trey Gunn is basically playing the Warr guitar on his lap now because the "cool rock stance" really fucked up his left hand. (shouda stuck w/ the Stick). That's a joke, Warr guitar players, I'd have one in my arsenal if I had unlimited $$$$$.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

One thing that helped me in terms of my left hand cramping / hurting was switching to a non-angled belt hook. Fairly cheap & easy change that made a huge difference. Give it a try.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

ArmyDoc wrote:
One thing that helped me in terms of my left hand cramping / hurting was switching to a non-angled belt hook. Fairly cheap & easy change that made a huge difference. Give it a try.

Same here!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:52 pm