It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:15 am

turn your fx off 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: turn your fx off
Jayesskerr wrote:
And Greg, what an interesting statement about "notes vs technique". On one hand, the notes are the 'story' and the technique is merely a vessel to create said story. The audience doesn't care if a typewriter or or a pencil or a crayon was used to create it. But on the other hand, for the artist creating said story, the path to inspiration means the removal of any and all creative obstacles. The more consistent and refined the ability to execute said notes, the easier and more often it will be for the artist to create new works. It's a lot easier to create if one doesn't have to worry about every minute detail when it comes to just playing a note...

Food for thought, eh?
It's probably an over-simplification on my part, but it's like learning a language. If you don't know how to put the words together, it doesn't matter how manyo of them you know.

It's why my first DVD had to be about how to make the notes sound great, and how to get from one note to the next in the most powerful way.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
It's probably an over-simplification on my part, but it's like learning a language. If you don't know how to put the words together, it doesn't matter how manyo of them you know.

It's why my first DVD had to be about how to make the notes sound great, and how to get from one note to the next in the most powerful way.

Hmmn, I should watch that DVD again...

Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:03 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Wow thanks guys, for taking the ball and running with it. I'm just one guy and can only take a theme so far. It's really informative to see how it bounces around the group.

Well, I"m going home to practice. No fx, at least for the first half hour :)

R

Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Both approaches are good. Purity in dry sound makes you an honest player.
Alternately efects alter the way you phrase and build dynamically.
Each approach has benefits to your overall musicianship.
Funny story....a few years back I went to hear/see guitar great Oz Noy. He is a very effect oriented playrr. A master using about 20 pedals. Well on this night he could't get his board to work. Bad wire somewhere in the chain. He blurted out to the audience "I guess I just have to play like a man"
BTW. ..check out Oz on a trio track we did together called The Trio of the Hot Club of Mars.
Lots of effects on his guitar and my Stick

Steve A

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I love this. It's so easy to hide less-than-palatable playing behind effects and call it a day. Bad at keeping your 8th notes straight? A slappy delay will hide it. Tone too twangy? Let's put a bunch of verb in so the tone gets lost in the echo. Is your tapping not quite accurate enough to always elicit a strong note? Distortion and a hefty dose of compression will clear that right up.

But, IMO, that leaves you an incomplete player, always stuck behind the limitations you've ignored and the mask of effects that you wear. Every talented musician, pro or hobbyist that I know, practices their technique dry. Their mindset is, if they can't get the part to sound good with just the instrument, the it's not going to sound great with the effects.

Even if the part is just a whole note chord with a really synth pad delay, you gotta make sure that the chord itself is clean, that each of the notes are ringing out properly and that you have control over each variable of the chord.

I think effects are great, and use them to a great extent. For me though, they're there to enhance the part being played, and that means that if the part isn't right clean, it won't be right effected either.

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:27 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sometimes, I play without effects, but it's not the same music at all.
Here's a sample from the net. Try to get this tone without effects...
The effects pedals take you to places that you can only imagine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9XWOPCz3Vk[/youtube]

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
effects can be a crutch, and the use of them also need to be "practiced."

I would like to quote that for emphasis. IMO, there are two ways effects can be used:

One way is to enhance the sound of the instrument: A touch of reverb and/or delay, a light chorus, etc.

And then you can use effects as an extension of the instrument. Even if you "only" use distortion, you have to adapt your playing to the new sound, even more so if you use more extreme effects, or a combination of effects. Then the Stick, together with your effects chain, becomes one big instrument. And you will have to learn to play that big instrument the same way you have to learn your basic technique.

https://sproingg.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/jenko-nashorn

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I agree. Playing with effects can be very stimulating.
I play musical instruments to help me relax and de-stress.

Music is an emotional thing and can be very expressive.
The effects enhance the sound to create a much better stimulus.
nashorn wrote:
I would like to quote that for emphasis. IMO, there are two ways effects can be used:

One way is to enhance the sound of the instrument: A touch of reverb and/or delay, a light chorus, etc.

And then you can use effects as an extension of the instrument. Even if you "only" use distortion, you have to adapt your playing to the new sound, even more so if you use more extreme effects, or a combination of effects. Then the Stick, together with your effects chain, becomes one big instrument. And you will have to learn to play that big instrument the same way you have to learn your basic technique.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Effects inspire iideas, and with the Stick this is especially evident in contrast to the natural sound...

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Excellent example Greg. Very cool!
greg wrote:
Effects inspire iideas, and with the Stick this is especially evident in contrast to the natural sound...

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:23 am