It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

Tell me about your first time 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Tell me about your first time
Been almost 10 months on stick now.

Tonight...something clicked...and now the left hand is doing walking bass line independent of the right hand chords and timing/tempo

Been working on Van Morrison Moondance and my hands have been inexplicably joined together since picking this instrument up.

Today...they worked on their own...much to my surprise

So...tell me about your first time where the hands worked independently

Thanks

Tp

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:27 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Tell me about your first time
Congrats, man! That is awesome news, keep on going dude! Lol your own personal "independence day" haha Sadly I haven't had that moment just yet. One day, perhaps.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Thomas_Powers wrote:

So...tell me about your first time where the hands worked independently

Thanks

Tp

While playing the stick? Um... I'll let you know. It's not quite two months now and 'hope springs eturnal', you know?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:37 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

It was on Mulholland Drive just off Topanga when it was just a dirt road with potholes. It was 1953 and I was in 11th grade with my spiffed up metallic green 1940 Ford - twin chrome pipes with a butterfly valve, all new tuck & roll upholstery and copper cactus planters. Oh, and a brody knob for one handed maneuvers.

Girls were inclined toward petting back then but they were really socially ready to settle down with house and family. They drove a hard bargain but with my amazing two-handed technique (a la Woody Allen) I soon learned my way around.

We're living in different times. I hope I don't come off sounding like Trump.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Congrats on your new found talents. The lessons accumulate In your head and fingers and then one day....bammm....it all comes together. Keep up the progress.
Self motivating. Stay inspired . See you when I get back to NY. Very gratifying.

Steve A

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for the reminder about Moondance , I should look at that one as I'm on a quest for New tunes fast.

Two handed stuff with true Independence is tricky for sure. I sometimes get it With walking Bass lines, I think more easily than With left hand chords for some reason.
Cant quite remember my first time ( maybe we were both drunk :o, I digress ) but for the stick it was with a blues thing i do and I remember that for sure, its somewhat of a revelation when it falls into place, even if for a short period, though I have a fair way to go.
Oddly enough sometimes when I stop concentrating on it , it works better.
Great work with your progress too. :D

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery