It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Triad Inversions; 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Triad Inversions;
I think my brain may have exploded.... need diagrams

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:15 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Not difficult if you have a basic triad theory undestanding.
BTW....this and other concepts were discussed during a very memorable full day jam I had with Pat about 5 years sgo. Sweet man, great player, music theory scholar.
Major influence on my playing. Check out "The Great Stream"

Steve A

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

ArmyDoc wrote:
I think my brain may have exploded.... need diagrams

That's why it's a good thing that there's more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to this sort of thing...

A lot of different approaches when it comes to theory/harmony and the practical application. Heck, look at a contemporary school like Berklee and compare it to the University of Miami's approach, or here in Canada Mcgill vs Selkirk vs Grant McKewan... lots of similarities as the physics are the same, but just as many differences in perception and execution, training and practice, useage, etc... Lots of different applications depending on what your role is, ranging from sight-reading to arrangement, composition, scoring, transcription and improvisation etc etc...

Some preliminary knowledge is definitely required, gotta know the construction of the triad, intervals involved and what the actual notes are so that you can use/find them in context. So, maybe a good knowledge of intervals, key signatures and the actual notes in each triad/chord/scale. Cycle of 5ths/4ths is provides a handy practice structure and organizational way of looking at things... And there's heaps of other stuff that helps too...

One of the big things I learned on Stick, particularly in my lessons with Steve was that if I wanted to progress I needed to learn the neck. Really learn it. Note location, simple triads, scales, etc recognition of these needs to be instantaneous. To the note... And knowing that stuff drastically improves the 'ole learning curve.

Back to practice, now...

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:49 pm
Contributor
Contributor

No, it's not hard, per se. It's hard trying to do in your head... especially if you have to think back 30 years to try and remember what an augmented triad is.

Music has it's own language, and if you don't use it, you lose it. Trying to remember a rusty language (especially if your grasp of it was rudamentary to start with), while trying to visualize an in istrument whose lay out is two dimensional (linear AND acrross) vs one dimensional (linear only like a piano)... that'll strain the old noggin. I find I need some type of visual representation to "see it", unless I have the instrument with me (not possible at work).

Unfortunately this site's rudamentary word processing capablities and proclivity for deleteing "extra" spaces makes clear diagrams hard to put in spontaneousely. Oh well, that's ok. One of the things that makes new conceps stick is writing them down / laying them out youself. And when I get through with what I'm working on now, I can always come back and review this thread later. It's all good.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:09 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ten pages of basic theory Iin "Stickology...." book, will be very useful and easy

Steve A

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Ten pages of basic theory Iin "Stickology...." book, will be very useful and easy

Steve A

I gotta second this.
Stickology is an awesome reference, has everything you need to get you started, particularly in the diagram department. I use it all the time, pretty complete resource as far as basic theory goes. My copy is marked up, haha lots of notes and markings...

I had an awesome night playing. I played the melody to "I can't get Started" and played triad inversions (a sequence using all of 'em) in the bass simultaneously implying the chord progression. Then I managed to play a pretty much completely triadic solo also using all inversions... it was slow, and a bit shakey... but a huge step forward for me. Old hat for most of you cats, but a big deal for me. Just thought I'd share!

Triads rock.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:16 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:

Steve A

Have it. Great book. Dont have it at work...

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 am
Contributor
Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:

Steve A

Have it. Great book. Dont have it at work...

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This exercise, from The Stick Book shows you some major/minor relationships. with root-based chords and inversions.
The example shown is for Classic tuning

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm gonna take the brown acid and quietly reflect on this thread...

cheers
L. Wrong Hubbtard

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next