It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 pm

Musings on Stick Lessons 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Musings on Stick Lessons
I finally got back to having another lesson with Guru Steve A as I call him. I find these to be really valuable and should do it more often, though I have a big backlog of stuff to review. I think for lots of people Stick is kind of an isolated pursuit . Though Melbourne is a musical and arts Mecca in so many ways, i just cant go and hang out with other Stick players, like I could with guitarists of any style. For me the interaction, and experience that comes from a one on one hang out with a Master is exciting , stimulating and as usual gives me a whole truckload of inspiration and learning, much more than I can achieve on my own, or its at least a powerful adjunct to it.
There really are only a handful of guys out there with deep skills & knowledge that also teach, no doubt the experience would be the same, whoever you choose. I feel like I know Steve well now and the exchange is lively and challenging , I no longer worry about " how good " I am before the lesson, thats not the idea. We can always learn and push new directions, if we want.
Changing tack, on my ship I always remind my junior officers that I dont know everything, even in command, and challenge them to ask , inquire and look for new ways and learning in a complex environment. This forum helps similarly and maybe lessons from someone, even just one, are a way to break being in a rut or shed new light on where you are at.... lots of room for those ah ha moments in StickLand. out.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Musings on Stick Lessons
Appreciate the positive message Captain. It's a two way street. As teacher/guru there's much gratification in seeing a student as yourself become spiritually and intellectually enlightened and the net result becoming a more creative individual. It's way beyond mechanics. Sharing ideas through dialogue expands the minds of both parties. I've been teaching music for 45 years and still enjoy the interaction and growth from and with my students.
There's much to explore on The Stick with its short history. The journey is on a good path and building momentum. Safe travels. Till next rendezvous.

Steve A

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I want to second this. I spent most of my musical life as a bass player "afraid" of learning theory. My ears are quite developed, so I can generally hear something and play it (humbly, i say). I knew my scales etc. When I picked up the Stick, everything changed... Melody, Harmony, etc. It was my lessons with Steve A that got me really interested and over the hump in learning and studying theory. He has so many ways to address issues with students. His teaching materials are really wonderful as well. I really credit my better understanding of theory, harmony and melody to Steve A!! LONG LIVE STEVE A!!!
:ugeek:

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:05 am
Contributor
Contributor

I think it's time to get back on the Lesson Train, myself.

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Spends $2800 on an instrument. Doesn't spend anything on learning how to play it. Don't be that guy...

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

earthgene wrote:
Spends $2800 on an instrument. Doesn't spend anything on learning how to play it. Don't be that guy...

Now THAT sums it up perfectly!

I've taken a few lessons from a couple folks and have learned from all of them. I taught myself guitar from a chord chart in the back of a church-music book as a kid, but that was only 6 strings.

The Stick is definitely not something to learn that way. :-)

-M

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:46 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

earthgene wrote:

Accurate. Before GPS there was the "I won't ask for directions" motto.
Ask. It will get you there faster.
Polls say less than 3% of Stick owners have tried lessons.
To Gene's point, why is this so? Anyone?

Kang Guru

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
earthgene wrote:

Kang Guru

We have a few of those in my neighborhood. While we have a growing Stick community in this area, I've always been aware of people who own Sticks, but never tools lessons, most of whom never learned how to play them. My take on it is there's this idea that buying a Stick will allow mere mortals to be able to play faster than Eddie Van Halen because the instrument was designed for tapping. That misconception runs them into a brick wall when they realize it's not a "get good quick" device. It's a real musical instrument, not a shortcut to get them around their own lack of ability. Can't say I ever met one of these people face to face, I learn about them when I sometimes meet guitar players who tell me about a local friend that owns a Stick, but doesn't do anything with it.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:46 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
earthgene wrote:

Kang Guru

I would be nowhere absent my work with Greg. I sure hope 3% isn't accurate. I took a leap of faith, because so much can be expressed, with such beauty, through the Stick. It is a noble instrument, and anyone who takes that leap should take part in this community--it will indeed get you there faster.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:41 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

it depends what you call "taking lesoons"

one ? two ? 50?
stick seminar ?

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails