It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:46 am

Musings on Stick Lessons 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Musings on Stick Lessons
I Bought every piece of instructional material made for the instrument, plus tons not made for the instrument, studied with Steve Adelson via Skype (and will study again), study with a pianist and an accordionist, torture the people on Stickist regularly with dumb questions and shitty videos and I practice like an m 'effer. The lessons were/are a critical component. Gotta have that interaction and discussion with people who are further on down the road. Plus, I feel that one needs to teach one's self also. Push yourself, evaluate, reevaluate and carry on, rinse-repeat...

And... It's still gonna take time.

Do some lessons, they do help, even if it's just one. I am actually surprised that more people (noobs) don't collaborate and communicate via Skype or FaceTime or whatever.

Thanks to all of my teachers at Stickist.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I am actually surprised that more people (noobs) don't collaborate and communicate via Skype or FaceTime or whatever.

That is a very good idea: a "Club-One" for new Stickists to collaborate and share their learning. Gene has the G+ tech working for FHF, I wonder if something similar (but shorter) might work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

We should talk to each other, see about sharing ideas.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:49 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Loving this thread, especially about the notion of being able to jump right in because you currently play a guitar or bass. It's similar in it's delivery, but the personal approach to the instrument is what makes it unique. Like snowflakes, no 2 Stickists are the same.

There are many ways we can learn, be it in groups, with individual instruction or through personal instruction with books, CDs, DVDs and videos. Different people learn different ways.

I've found that there are three primary learning platforms; Group, 1:1 and self taught. No single method is better than the other and for each individual, it's going to vary in HOW they like the instruction delivered. Having a sampling of each platform, a well rounded approach, has worked for me. This would include;

1) Learning as a community (consuming and contributing)
2) Individual lessons (giving or taking, both count)
3)Well disciplined self taught lessons that take advantage of one's existing musical experience AND DOCUMENTING IT (notes on sheet music, video, etc.)

Lessons are a part of the total experience. Lessons early on with the instrument will offer more spring in your jump before you dive in. Seminars and workshops will help to build confidence and make the most of the shared experience - do not discount this. Look at the inspiration this last Stick Camp has produced! Self instruction (to me anyway) is the most important as it is the most meaningful. Some of my favorite moments with the instrument have been very private, just plunking away without even having plugged in the instrument.

As for Free Hands Friday, I am looking to get back to sessions, although the format will be changing - it will be more of an interview. There will still be opportunities to do group sessions and especially songlearn sessions as this is a great way to build repertoire without having to start from scratch every time. The idea that EVERY Stickist should have a FHF session is very compelling, maybe just a dream. I may not live to see the day that every Stickist has had their own session, but getting there will be good fun.

Great post Bruce and Steve. You all make us better players and better people.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Free hands Friday's have been very helpful in my learning the stick. (Gene I've missed the FHFs) To me being a professional player (brass) concepts and sharing ideas is as much a help as private lessons. I've had the pleasure of taking lessons with Greg and Steve A both different approaches but both awesome. I look forward to more in the near future.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:54 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks guys, been a good discussion about learning, one other thing I enjoyed, partly because it came in small chunks were the StickScience episodes by Josh, also entertaining.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

When I started. there was only Free Hands, no one to take lessons with. I can see the upside of finding your own way, but I also like to help people get a jump-start on things.

If you can't afford lessons, then books and DVDs are a less expensive way to delve deeper...

I'll be announcing some things about fall scheduling soon... busy days...

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

This thread reminded me of my old “Free Hands After Hours” idea, and I think that concept of a more loose Stick hang would be even more valuable once Free Hands Friday shifts to an interview format. Though seminars are extremely valuable, they need not be the only way that we see—and talk with—one another. Then again, not everyone is as extroverted as I am.

Regarding the purpose of this thread, I think that it would be great to form study groups, either sharing what we are working on respectively or working through a shared text. Those who take lessons could share what they have learned, in their own words, which would help them to develop a deeper understanding of those lessons.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
I think that it would be great to form study groups, either sharing what we are working on respectively or working through a shared text. Those who take lessons could share what they have learned, in their own words, which would help them to develop a deeper understanding of those lessons.

+1 on this. Study groups online would be a great idea.

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Scronk wrote:
Robstafarian wrote:
I think that it would be great to form study groups, either sharing what we are working on respectively or working through a shared text. Those who take lessons could share what they have learned, in their own words, which would help them to develop a deeper understanding of those lessons.

+1 on this. Study groups online would be a great idea.

I am in, message me and I can get y'all my Skype or FaceTime info. I will talk to anyone about music and technique and learning and stuff...

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:10 am