It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 pm

Legato play in classical music 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Legato play in classical music
greg wrote:
kevin-c wrote:
Yep.
Staccato like playing is one of my many probs. Particularly when playing a descending note series......its tough.

I dont think Bob has taken out his damper......he's been playing with a capo on the bass side of late to allow ringing open notes...

cheers,
kev
Kev,

If you are willing to use hand movement, it is super, super easy, because the movement of the hand releases the higher note on the string a split second before the lower one is articulated.

You need to find a friend who will let you use their high-speed internet connection so we can have a lesson. I can show this to you in a very short period of time.

Or if you have my DVD, check out the Melody Movement section. It's all there.

Stop "typing", and start tapping!

In my mind I try to move my hand, maybe I need to exaggerate it more. I'll revisit the DVD once Rob Gellner gives it back (he lifted it from my house when my back was turned...eheh). Seriously...I am a typer, and I realize it.
As for the Skype, sheesh....Facetime would work nice but at what cost.....
I had a Skype meeting with Scott (jayeskerr) a month or so ago and it was 3 seconds of fluidity followed by 2 minutes of his face frozen into an ugly grimace, in an endless loop.....eheh.
I have no friends.....

cheers,
Slo Ryde

ps,
currently I think I hide behind verb and delay to accomplish legato......my bad.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
One of the things that's always bugged me about certain approaches to classical music in tapping is that it always sounds staccato.

If that's what the music calls for, that's great, but what's on the page is more than a collection of notes to be raced through.

My solution to this is to use much more hand movement in playing so that the notes can "fire" without gaps in between them, creating the kind of legato where one note ends just a split second before the other begins, and each has a clear attack.

Here's an example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq7ElueRp6Y[/youtube]

The attack of the notes is clear, but not always staccato. Don't just play the notes. Play the music.

Bob provides a nice example of the contrast between legato and staccato in this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM2oFkQmyPk[/youtube]

My two cents.

Both disgustingly good videos.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:48 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I've always found the Stick to be fairly brutal in the sense of staccato notes being almost too easy to play.

I've leaned towards a legato style ever since I heard Bob talk about it and play it. It's easy enough to shorten the length of notes from there.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

So we have two ways to make the sound more legato. The obvious one is using hammer-ons and pull-off's as much as possible. The problem with relying on this exclusively is that you can't hammer-on or pull off when you are transitioning from string to string, so those notes will sound different.

I've found the best way to get a consistent articulation, regardless of whether you are playing notes on the same string or transitioning from string to string is to make sure to use hand movement for every note.

Starting from baseline of consistency is the only way to really be in control of the music you are playing.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Legato play in classical music
greg wrote:
Starting from a baseline of consistency is the only way to really be in control of the music you are playing.

From "The Quotable Greg Howard". (Above)

Over-emphasizing (or just emphasizing) expression of individual phrases on a tune (e.g. Bouree) has helped me realize a more legato sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DaveJ wrote:
greg wrote:
Starting from a baseline of consistency is the only way to really be in control of the music you are playing.

From "The Quotable Greg Howard". (Above)

Over-emphasizing (or just emphasizing) expression of individual phrases on a tune (e.g. Bouree) has helped me realize a more legato sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Dave,

It's a privilege to share your musical journey.... music is so much more than "notes". See you soon.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I have been waiting for my Railboard to be completed, midi is holding it up, however I am doing a lot of listening to everything stick related I can find. I have not yet picked up a stick to play a lick (uh oh, limerick brewing) yet but, as a pianist/keyboardist I intend to approach learning the stick using the same books and music I would the piano. The midi part of my stick will not be just to trigger the sounds of other instruments, but to find/create sounds that will blend with and become a part of the stick sound, married together. The notes attack and sustain will be explored and this processing will hopefully allow me to vary the response of the attack (swells) of notes and release (staccato, rubato, legato) of the notes. Control pedals can be used to shape those parameters in real time. I approach music as pulling the notes out of the instrument and the resulting sound as then being sculpted, shaped in real time. It is an approach to music I came to as having played analog synthesizers since the 70's.
I greatly admire Greg's playing, among others and I know that a great part of ones sound comes from the hand (technique). I think of the Stick as more akin to the Hapsicord rather than the piano and if you approach your playing of Bach (and Baroque music in general) in the terms of the harpsichord mechanics, you may have a better mental mindset to what the outcome of your performance should sound like.
If you listen to harpsichord recordings, listen also to the space they are recorded in, a small chamber or large church. You will hear the harpsichordist adapt to the acoustics of the environment. We can use that to our advantage since we can use reverb processing to create any virtual space we desire. The key hear is to listen to recordings of classical music with an ear for the context of the performance space. Some pieces work better in larger cathedrals, others perhaps in an outdoor bandshell, whatever. The acoustic "space" you process your stick playing in will influence how you play the notes (staccato, legato, rubato), the actual piece chosen, and dynamics as well as tempo. This listening also helps you to be a better player in a group context since now your approach to voicing your notes will depend on the context of the other players around you.
Play on and play well.
ABsound

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great post ABSound. Lately I've been enjoying the Lexicon reverb emulation by Universal Audio. It allows me to create some really nice "acoustic spaces". Like in this video (not a classical piece, but it shows the reverb nicely):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtrE9Bf2OM[/youtube]

As electric musicians, our amplifiers and effects are a real part of our instrument, and are "played" as well.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I also have to work hard on hammer on and pull off.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Alain wrote:
I also have to work hard on hammer on and pull off.

Alain, I can show you very easily how to employ hand movement to make this much more effective, in case you are interested.

Skype is wonderful...

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery