It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 pm

Whatcha practicing this weekend? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Whatcha practicing this weekend?
Me? I'm working on my triads on the melody side all inversions. Sticking with using a chord progression as a framework; 1625 1645 1325 1345. "Stick Arpeggio" triad in the bass. And, because "All Of Me" is kicking my ass and I'm quite pissed off at how long it is taking me to get some flow, I'm using it as a framework also to work the same thing...

Also, got my scalar motifs/compasses to work on. And a Malmsteen tune. muahahah

Such a good weekend...

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Whatcha practicing this weekend?
Jayesskerr wrote:
I'm working on my triads on the melody side all inversions.
I love chord inversions--I like how the same three notes of a triad give chords a different feel depending on where they are in the harmony. Does that make me weird? I'm a little weird, but there's a long list. And I love it when the bass note is not the root of the chord. That's actually what I'm working on this weekend. I have a song that chromatically descends in the bass but sometimes it's the root and sometimes the third of a chord, or the fifth and is called "Chromatic Jack." I already laid down two tracks: the piano and all of the percussion (my very best drumming eveh!), and it needs Stick bass and vocals. I started using Abby Road Modern Drummer and stole and tweaked and bashed out some awesome drumlines.

The bass is actually the easier to get done than the vocals. I have a long list of tunes that should be songs and I've discovered that I can science the shit out of my voice to get pretty close to actually cool. But it's hard to get peace and quiet to record vocals, and lyrics are a lot of work. But I love to play with vocal harmonies. So much to do!

I have my work on the horizontal Stick to do, too. I've discovered that the Railboard's weight is no big deal on your lap and the uni-color frets are easier to see looking down. But my work is all play, and I'll just be jamming as usual.

Keep rocking it out, Scott!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I'm practicing the two songs I play Stick on for our upcoming gig. Principally keeping a left hand ostinato steady and bringing right hand melody ideas in without chumping or racing.

Polycarbonate 10string #1991 "Claymore"
Railboard 10string #6428 "Colossus"

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Scott/All
Just tuning up my set list for a festival in my town next weekend, I think I need to do about 40 mins.
Should get a couple of open mics in during the week hopefully.

Working hard on some recent lesson material with Steve A, poly chords around the I, VI, II, V and I'm getting a version of Mercy Me by Marvin Gaye going based on that that involves vocals also. Had an epiphany & got my wife out of bed to come and do additional vocals, sounds ok , she used to sing full time, maybe we merge musically which is uncommon . Anyway . so much to do , so little time as they say.
Switching between the Alto, which I still do most stuff on and moving over to the Grand is a challenge also
B :ugeek:

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Trying to polish "Save a Prayer", Duran Duran. A band so good....you have to say their name twice...

Riptide by Vance Joy as well....

cheers,
k

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

More than this (Roxy Music) Get it on (T-Rex) I see a glam rock pattern here. [emoji1]

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bach!!! I know, I know... Bach to basics :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:22 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

almost got Here Comes the Sun down. At some point I will post it on line. Then going to learn Gregs version of Time After Time. Also got to work on my left hand chord shapes.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:19 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sounds cool, guys!

I kind of noticed that while I am getting pretty good at 'finding' my chords, and navigating back and forth within a progression, it's really my physical ability to 'land' a chord with my right hand that needs work. Ironing that out now. Right now.

Here Comes the Sun, that's a good one! I stole that from Kev! hahaha

I want to work on a bunch of Bach, but I am not quite ready yet. I learned about half of the first 2 part invention, but it was an exercise in memorization; kept falling apart. I decided that I needed a stronger foundation first. Every keyboardist I talk to says Bach 2 part and then 3 part inventions are a big part of the key...

Next year, it's Bach year. In the meantime, I'm getting there.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I want to work on a bunch of Bach, but I am not quite ready yet. I learned about half of the first 2 part invention, but it was an exercise in memorization; kept falling apart. I decided that I needed a stronger foundation first. Every keyboardist I talk to says Bach 2 part and then 3 part inventions are a big part of the key...

Next year, it's Bach year. In the meantime, I'm getting there.
When I went to school for music, I could barely read it, and I had my first piano lesson some 5 years after I'd already been playing. My piano teacher was a brilliant concert pianist and saw what I could do and how poorly I could read and made me do nothing but Bach. "You will learn two-handed counterpoint, and you will like it, damn you!" He was right about the 2nd part, anyway! I love him for that so much!

Those 4 semesters of Bach are still the only serious instruction in piano--apart from theory--I ever got that wasn't me teaching me or stealing from watching others. But that's why I always get all misty on the Bach stuff. Man I love Bach! So, I'll always say "Yes, you SHOULD do that Bach!" That's one of many reasons Rodrigo is such a fine, fine human being!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery