It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

The Search for the Screwdriver (hack hack hack...) 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: The Search for the Screwdriver (hack hack hack...)
I think that the interdependent "hacks" were actually rhythmically much more interesting to listen to.

Also when composing or arranging a song you can mix and match all these techniques to make it sound interesting.
You could just hold a chord in one hand for a while or just play solo without any backing for a few bars for variety.
That would free your both hands to play a single line that can be much more elaborate.

Lots of ways to look at things and do stuff. No need to use the instrument in only one way.

Look at synths for an example monosynths more specifically ;)

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:43 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Carbon wrote:
I think that the interdependent "hacks" were actually rhythmically much more interesting to listen to.

Also when composing or arranging a song you can mix and match all these techniques to make it sound interesting.
You could just hold a chord in one hand for a while or just play solo without any backing for a few bars for variety.
That would free your both hands to play a single line that can be much more elaborate.

Lots of ways to look at things and do stuff. No need to use the instrument in only one way.

Look at synths for an example monosynths more specifically ;)

Yes, that is definitely the objective, to be able to mix and match whatever tech is at my disposal, and hopefully play the way I want to... getting there!

Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6UFWO0cnI[/youtube]

Hey all, I hope everyone's having a great Christmas, or holiday season! Awesome!
It's time for a hack! Another hack! Just what we needed... Again, I am not trying to teach anyone anything, but rather I am just presenting an approach.. for the moment... that works... for me...

Now, this hack is basically me realizing a need for simplicity, and sharing with y'all that it is okay if you don't play anything more than a "root note" on the bass side, or for that matter maybe you only play on one side of the instrument. All good... The idea is to start as simple as you need to, and then fill in the blanks. Whatever it takes to make it through. It's okay, music doesn't have to be difficult or complex. No need for permission or validation, I just do it.

Oh yeah, sorry about the clipping in the video; I tried out a Presonus Firestudio, 'cause a friend insisted that that cheap piece of shit was better than my Apogee ensemble; It's not. It's okay, but meh... I like the Ensemble a lot better...

Don't like my bass playing? lol me either! hahaha It's just a means to an end. It will get better, don't worry because I practice a lot and "simplification" is not a stylistic end, but rather a tool to get me started and get some flow. Whooo! I have learned a lot of songs (Almost 40) in a very short period of time. They are simple, but I can play them competently, and they are constantly evolving...

The first bit of playing is me trying to play in a "complex" or "Stick" kind of way, but it feels pretty unnatural, and a bit stiff... Mind you, I made it up on the spot, so it is what it is... I have progressed a lot since I made and posted this video, and it definitely has been worthwhile simplifying things... besides, I have a lot of time to get all complicated and stuff later... for now I just wanna rock... hahaha

Also:
BIIIIG Thanks to the accordian guy in the music store I met the other day, you are a smart guy, and you really taught me a lot with just a few words.... Thanks, man! Also, the piano guy nailing Liszt the other week, and then telling me about how much he loves surf music... That was awesome, so thank you also!

So yeah, I hope y'all dig the video, maybe it helps someone who is maybe at a similar point...

Getting better, guys.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Scottulus.
All your points rang very true with me there. Good food for new players, and techniques that helped me move forward. Start small, grow big. Even now when I'm learning a new tune, sometimes its very hard to throw that third in there, or perhaps change the phrase of the bass side. But as you keep plugging away you will often notice that the third or phrase change just all of a sudden happens and its a eureka moment.....for me anyways.

I really had a lot of breakthrough moments in my first couple of years. Some where so profound to me that immediately after the breakthrough I got goosebumps...very cool sense of accomplishment. I hope you are having those moments as well.

Keep doing what you are doing dooder, you're getting better everyday.

cheers,
kev

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Scott, I loved Europa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPvn8UkcNtM
I would like to hear more tunes like this.

As for me, I bought my old stick in March/2015.
My approach so far, is to noodle.
I don't care what I play, I just play, every day.
It's slowly coming together and I'm having a blast...

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:28 pm