It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2 to 3 feet of snow coming!!!!! 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: 2 to 3 feet of snow coming!!!!!
greg wrote:
Just checking in. How are you guys and gals faring?

Doing alright just north of Boston. Seems like the worst of it is over, although we’re still getting gusts and the snow is forecast to continue through tomorrow morning. We’ll supposedly have about 16-24” in my area when this is done, a bit less than what we got in the ridiculous storm a few years ago. Some areas of MA are getting up to 3’. My city has cancelled public schools for the entire week and today’s a snow day pretty much everywhere - I can get some extra practice time in!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've been awake since 4:00. High winds woke me up, and there's just no going back to sleep for me in this kind of weather. (High winds in storms produce a LOT of anxiety in me ... I live in a very old house.) Two or three hours to go for the worst of the winds to start hitting here in Southern coastal Maine. It's been snowing since the wee hours of the morning, and it's been DUMPING. I went out a couple of hours ago to clear out some snow, and will be doing so another three times today just to keep up. Two years ago, I had snow drifts higher than my head blocking exits, and I'm NOT letting that happen again.
Brutal cold in this wind; sustained at 15-20 miles per hour and gusting around 35-38. Gusts in my neighborhood should be closer to 50 early this afternoon.
At least they've backed off their predictions of snow totals around here; yesterday they talked about 18"-24" but they've downgraded to 15"-20". Doesn't sound like much, but that much snow reduction could mean one less trip for me outside with the snow blowers.
Obviously, I'm closed for business today, and I've made the call to be closed tomorrow as well. Half my staff won't be able to get out of their driveways, and tomorrow will be the day to clear the dog play yards out.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Glad you all are okay. Brett?

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Interesting times when Mother Nature shows who´s the boss. Again stay safe, fellows! Better be safe than sorry. I like Claire´s attitude in all this. Practise time. ;)

-Mobilis in mobil-

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jan Hellman wrote:
Interesting times when Mother Nature shows who´s the boss. Again stay safe, fellows! Better be safe than sorry. I like Claire´s attitude in all this. Practise time. ;)

Well, I couldn’t go anywhere if I wanted to. My car is pretty well encased in snow, so until the plow guy comes it’s not going anywhere. Yes, I could dig it out, but the entire state has a travel ban and all public transportation is cancelled through tonight. Some areas have gotten 30” of snow, it’s going to take time to clear everything out. And it’s still snowing…

Ultimately, it's not like there's much else I could do but hang out at home. So yes, I'm making the best of it. :) I’m lucky that I have power, heat, and food and I don’t live in an area that’s prone to flooding.

Luc, hope you stay warm and that you can get back to normal business (and normal sleep!) soon.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:21 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm an hour south of Boston, sort of at the beginning of Cape Cod, and right on the coast. We are projected to get the worst of it, and so far they are spot on. We have over 20" now. It started snowing yesterday (Monday) lightly, around 1pm, and has steadily increased in intensity. We had howling winds up to 80 mph through the night. I had to clear a path to the backyard for my dog to pee, and that was a few hours ago... it is already all covered with new snow and drifts up to 3-4 feet. Forget about traveling until at least tomorrow afternoon. It is supposed to keep snowing until later this evening (it's now around 3pm), with spots of clearing and spots of heavy snow bands. Thankfully we have not lost power or cable. I am taking advantage of this by using the time to practice as well!
Cheers all!
RandO

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Did I say they dropped the amount of snow expected? I just saw a new graphic from a TV meteorologist. My area now looks like it's going to get close to 30"... ten inches more than they were thinking. We also have a snow storm coming Friday which will give us at least another 6". Oy.
I've been outside twice now to clear snow. My John Deere's brand-new snow blower attachment has failed. First, the blower broke an auger shear pin. After a few minutes I found a suitable replacement, but after I installed it, I found that the lift mechanism for the blower somehow broke or got stuck. I now have a tractor with a snow blower attachment stuck 7 inches off the ground. All future trips outside to clear snow will be done with a walk-behind blower.
Motherfucker. That thing was working really well, too.
Sorry for the sailor talk. Had to vent.
Update: Triple fail on the tractor. Now this very expensive lawn tractor I just bought this past April won't even start. I give up. Texted my plow person.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Last edited by Luc on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'm on the South Shore about 30 minutes south of Boston. The wind is still thumping and the snow is still falling. Scituate and Marshfield (2 and 3 towns south from me) had some serious flooding overnight and we are now about an hour from another high tide.

I got a bit of shoveling done...enough to dig a path from the back door, across the deck and to the yard, so the dog could "do his business". The drifts were easily 3 feet, although the total snowfall for us I'd guess is about 20"

It seems to be slowing down, but it ain't over yet.

Since when did music become all about the words

Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm good only 10" of snow.
Good practice time.

Brett

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandO wrote:
I'm an hour south of Boston, sort of at the beginning of Cape Cod, and right on the coast. We are projected to get the worst of it, and so far they are spot on. We have over 20" now. It started snowing yesterday (Monday) lightly, around 1pm, and has steadily increased in intensity. We had howling winds up to 80 mph through the night. I had to clear a path to the backyard for my dog to pee, and that was a few hours ago... it is already all covered with new snow and drifts up to 3-4 feet. Forget about traveling until at least tomorrow afternoon. It is supposed to keep snowing until later this evening (it's now around 3pm), with spots of clearing and spots of heavy snow bands. Thankfully we have not lost power or cable. I am taking advantage of this by using the time to practice as well!
Cheers all!
RandO

OK, just rinse and repeat ... gahhh! :shock: We just got dumped on again, another 20 inches or so with howling winds upwards of 50-60mph. Early this morning we had 'thunder snow" for several hours, dumping 4-5 inches an hour!!
Since my previous post, this is... I think... our 4th major storm, I seem to have lost track! Record amount of snowfall in 3 weeks time. Hoping for some quality practice time again, :lol: ! Of course they are already projecting yet another storm for Tuesday. :roll:
Rand

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:35 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next