It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm

Bass Guitar Tuning Idea 

Post Bass Guitar Tuning Idea
Hi All,

After browsing the web for inspiration of all fifths tunings for the bass guitar, I had a crazy idea for a tapping-friendly tuning for a five string bass. From low to high, the strings would be tuned as follows:

C (fifth string) - G - D - G - C (first string)

I think this experimental tuning creates some interesting overlap in range and mechanics. I've used a fifths based "crafty" tuning on my NS/Stick for about a year now, and I really like a lot of the chord shapes you can get, but the fifths intervals on a 34" scale instrument make for rather cumbersome melodic playing (at least for me). I think my tuning above (again, for a five string bass guitar) solves many of these problems. I can probably get some pretty cool roots/power chords from the tuning in fifths (C - G - D), and I think I could also do some pretty righteous melodic motion from the tuning in fourths (D - G - C).

Also, I'm kinda' giddy about the fact that the D-string in the center can serve both bass and melody functions, depending on the voicing I'm working with.

I know many of you out there are also bassists, so let me know your thoughts. Personally, I think it's super cool and wanted to share it with my Stick friends!

Best!
~Nick "Klaus" G.

P.S. I don't pretend to be a great innovator, so if someone has tried this tuning or a similar tuning before, let me know your experiences!!!

Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:58 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Bass Guitar Tuning Idea
I like the idea! I don't play bass, but I like to ponder alternative tunings. Another plus is the symmetry of the notes. I've pondered what it would be like to tune (a Stick) in tritones to achieve that symmetry, but I recently got a new string set and finally got it all set up, so I'm too lazy to change out strings again for an experiment. :D

Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Post Re: Bass Guitar Tuning Idea
I'm definitely keen on the symmetry. I've ordered some strings (with the appropriate custom gauges/tension), so I will keep you posted on how this works out!

Best,
~Nick "Klaus" G.

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:34 am