It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 am

Stick vs Warr guitar 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Stick vs Warr guitar
Olivier is right, there remains nothing more to tell about...

cheers...

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Oh yes, the Stick and the Warr Guitar are indeed different instruments! So are sax and violine as well. But I'm starting to regard also the SG-12 yet another instrument. After a while of Grand playing I came to a phase where I found myself playing a lot in the Grand STick's upper range, on both sides. When I started out three years ago it was the vast tonal range that draw me into Stick playing but now all my playing have pushed me into not spreading out the notes so much but play more focused within a smaller span of note range. The reason is that I'm finding the layering of unisone strings and close clusters so incredibly beautiful. This of course led me into playing more on my SG-12 and I now think that this instrument has a totally unique resonance. If the Grand Stick is a mighty Mammoth, then I'd say the SG-12 just dances in space. And the Warr... hmmm... GODZILLA...? (love it with Trey Gunn and Randy Strom of course)

Regarding the belt hook I really love that system - because I move around a lot when playing. I've been playing a lot of guitar and sax too and those instruments you can actually swing around as part of the stage expression because you hold on at firm grips for the notes - but when playing two handed tapping you have no third hand to keep the instrument in place, so therefore the belt hook and a maximally tight shoulder strap is my savior.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Balt-A-Sar wrote:
...there remains nothing more to tell about...
Not true. Tell us about your icon! Is that a Stick Espresso Boiler? How incredibly cool. Where can one get one those?

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Olivier wrote:
Some people play a Warr, others prefer a Stick.

Purely a question of preference and taste.

The message is more important than the media.

Peace

O.

The Swiss just get it. I'm with Ollie.
:D

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
Is that a Stick Espresso Boiler? How incredibly cool. Where can one get one those?

Following the general theme of the thread:

Do not get one, Per. Those things don't make real espresso: the pressure is insufficient (in the extreme) to qualify.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Dear Per,

I couldn't take this...

it will not give real milk...
but the expresso machine gives real coffee...
ok. like Olivier said we all have different preferences...

but one thing is true: boiled water can developp a lot of pressure... think of the steam powered locomotives or ships...

The Icon is a fast and dirty made copy and paste creation of two pictures, in front of the mocca (an other name for this type of expresso machine) you can see my third stick: a ten string MR tuned in medium gauges.
As far as I know you can get the mocca in the most big merchandises all over europe at least in Italy, Switzerland and Germany...
For the Stick your well adressed to Stick Enterprises in California ;)

cheers...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:58 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i saw Crimson Double Trio w no idea what to expect. i had heard Tre on the Fripp/Sylvian album (was a big fan of Japan)(and Bobby SMILING!), and to see WHAT IS THAT and Tony first time on a Grand (and bass, and elec. upright) and ALL THAT SOUND and yeah, apples and oranges. compare? i don't know. i fell in love w the Stick sound 'cause of Emmett and Tony on Gabriel and i already played fretted and frettless bass so i had all basses covered-no pun intended. now i have no basses-sold for a powered loudspeaker. i have 2 Sticks and lots of sounds not even fully explored and i think i look pretty cool rockin w those bitches but if anyone should happen to GIVE me a Warr Guitar i wouldn't look down my nose (except@ the strings...) Bravo for keeping this thread civil guys.

peace and tap what you get, -marty

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery