It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Mick Karn 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Mick Karn
In my opinion Mick Karn is one of the most creative and original players of the fretless bass. He has been one of the major influences in my musical life, and it is with a heavy heart that I post the following from Mick's facebook page:

"With great sadness we regret to inform you that Mick has recently been diagnosed with advanced stages of cancer. Mick is currently in positive mood and undergoing further tests and treatment. His family and friends are close with him, supporting him in practical ways, and surrounding him with their love, friendship and care.

Mick has been struggling financially for some considerable time now and we are hoping that this appeal may help to raise funds for any necessary treatment and perhaps go some way towards providing a small degree of financial support whilst Mick's immediate family provide the care and comfort we would all wish for him. We are hoping that his friends, fans and musical colleagues will, over the coming months, offer any support they feel capable of giving. Quite aside from the sheer brunt of daunting medically-related costs, Mick's clear and major concern is for the security and well being of his wife and young son.

If you would like to make a donation whether as an individual or as a group, you can do so via the paypal link at http://www.mickkarn.net/ which has been set up for this sole and express purpose. Any support you are able to give, no matter how small, could make a difference in helping Mick cope during this difficult period. His friends will be looking at a variety of ways to raise funds.

If you would simply like to leave your kind messages of support for Mick, please do so at http://www.mickkarn.net/Pages/Message.htm

We will keep you all updated as often as we can.

Please do note that news is released with Mick's full approval."

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Mick Karn
That's very sad news.

Thanks for posting.
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:13 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

That is sad news indeed. Karn is an amazing bass player and I remember marvelling at lines he played that were completely unlike anything I'd ever heard. Mick, of course, was part of a group of very creative individuals who formed "Japan" along with David Sylvian and Richard Barbieri (who has been an intricate part of Porcupine Tree for the the better part of 17 years now).

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have not been thinking about Mick Karn for quite some time...Sad that this bad news has to remind me.

My favourite project of his is Dalis Car.

Is the healthcar so bad at his place, that it does not even pay for treatment of his cancer...this is shocking as well. Reminds me of the fund raising for Rocco Prestia.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Very sad. I've always on my iPod an amazing album I found on Amazon called Polytown with Terry Bozzio and David Torn, that I first discovered then lost when I was 18 :?

There's a lot of cancers these days in every part of the world. We should more seriously consider the way we're living on earth. I'm still thinking that some ways a few persons choose or dictate to the others (intense development, pollution, GMO, nuclear energy...) begins to have some heavy consequences on some of us. :cry:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Bizon.....

Ah, that 's great that your behind this. That is a shock.

Mick Karn is one of the most important bass players in our lifetime.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 pm