It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 am

Buzzing notes.. 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Buzzing notes..
I've got a used Megatar, and I've noticed that there are two spots where the string will either buzz or hit the fret above it (half step higher). This happens near the base of the neck (higher notes) on the "guitar" side of the instrument (I also play uncrossed). I've tried adjusting the truss and raising the action, which has helped a little, but the buzz is still there. I'm thinking my option is to try to sand down the offending fret, but I wanted to ask the advice of those more experienced before I attempt to make a permanent adjustment.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:59 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Buzzing notes..
Nomad Monday wrote:
I've got a used Megatar, and I've noticed that there are two spots where the string will either buzz or hit the fret above it (half step higher). This happens near the base of the neck (higher notes) on the "guitar" side of the instrument (I also play uncrossed). I've tried adjusting the truss and raising the action, which has helped a little, but the buzz is still there. I'm thinking my option is to try to sand down the offending fret, but I wanted to ask the advice of those more experienced before I attempt to make a permanent adjustment.

Since they use standard frets you may also want to try gently tapping the fret to make sure it well seated before you start removing metal. Also you may want to consider contacting Megetar (Traktor) directly. Since this is his instrument he may have more specific suggestions for you.

Good luck!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I had buzz that was cured by loosening the tuner a few turns and rotating the strings brass end at the tailpiece 180 degrees and retuning. Worth a try.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Another thing to check for is a bent string. If you loosen the string bit, you may see a slight hump or dip on the string, somewhere in the vicinity of the offending fret. If that is the case, you should replace that string.

OTOH, if all of the strings are affected the same way, something more involved would be called for.

Good luck!

Paul

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks everyone. I'm a total guitar newbie, so these things didn't even cross my mind. I'll have to give it a try.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Nomad Monday wrote:
I'm thinking my option is to try to sand down the offending fret, but I wanted to ask the advice of those more experienced before I attempt to make a permanent adjustment.

DO NOT DO THIS! :shock: It made my skin crawl when I read that. I would try anything and everything else before I took the chance of ruining an expensive musical instrument. I second the suggestion to contact Megatar, or maybe, go to Tappisty.org and posting your question there, as there are a much greater number of Megatar players on that forum. Good luck. And stay away from the sander!

jstorm

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jstorm1031 wrote:
Nomad Monday wrote:
I'm thinking my option is to try to sand down the offending fret, but I wanted to ask the advice of those more experienced before I attempt to make a permanent adjustment.

DO NOT DO THIS! :shock: It made my skin crawl when I read that. I would try anything and everything else before I took the chance of ruining an expensive musical instrument. I second the suggestion to contact Megatar, or maybe, go to Tappisty.org and posting your question there, as there are a much greater number of Megatar players on that forum. Good luck. And stay away from the sander!

jstorm
Hi Damon,

If you have a friend who is familiar with setting up guitars they can probably tell you if you have a lifting fret. You can probably see this yourself if it's happening (not saying it is, but it could be), as a gap will form between the underside of the fret top and the fretboard.

With the introduction of Rods and later, Rails, Emmett solved this issue, common with conventional guitar technology, of soft metal frets lifting out of their slots, (possibly made worse by the fact that tapping involves more energy than simply holding the string down to the fret).

A good luthier should be able to fix any minor fret problem, if that's what it is.

Maybe you can take a picture of the side of the frets where it's buzzing and post it so we can see.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery