It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

Has anyone any ideas about this? stick type? 

Post Has anyone any ideas about this? stick type?
Hi All
New to this forum as I am interested in getting a stick/non stick type in the coming months.
I saw this on ebay, does anyone have any comments?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-10-String-S ... ash=item19

Also investigating a Hyler 10 string any comments would be great.

Alex

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:55 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Has anyone any ideas about this? stick type?
See "laugh" thread below...

My idea is that you shouldn't even consider buying this instrument.

The Hylers look interesting, namely the headless one with many strings. However, it might be best to wait until Hyler refines his instruments a bit before committing to a build.

But maybe they're great! Who knows?

k

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Alex,

Welcome. There's been some discussion of the Hyler on this forum last September, including some comments from someone who bought one (post quoted below)

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1898

Orr wrote:
Sadly, I just bought a Hyler off of eBay hoping it would at least be a "squier" to the CS's "strat". I was going to use it as my beater while I learned the method and saved up to one day buy the real thing.

Here's a laundry-list of my gripes:
The action is terrible, the bridge is probably the cheapest available, the frets are uneven towards the bridge-end of the neck, the spacing is extremely tight (even tighter than a guitar, the pickup is weak, the bridge and pickup are not snugly attached to the "body", there is glue sticking out from where the fretboard meets the "body", the dampener does not work, the intonation is bad, the frets are not snugly set, the tuning goes out all the time, no truss-rod (although I'm not sure if the CS is supposed to have one), nothing to secure a shoulder-strap or belt-hook to, no finish (and I don't mean "unfinished", I mean that there is nothing on the wood to protect it), the sides of the fretboard are jagged, ... the list goes on into minutiae...

The patenting issue is a tricky one because the CS is an expensive instrument and I wish there were some less-expensive models (or competing manufacturers) available. Sadly, it seems that to cut costs on this instrument they cut corners. You often get what you pay for, but unfortunately the CS (and its imitators) are so rare that they can drive up the price.

I regret buying it as the money could have been spent on a better instrument. I plan to try and get sounding and playing as good as possible because I still want to venture into Stick territory. Maybe someday I will be able to buy a real CS, which obviously is my preference.

Lesson learned, the hard way.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't think this instrument is from Hyler. Although not my cup of tea, Hyler instruments (http://hylertouchstyle.com/) seems to me to be more seriously built than that ebay joke...

If I were you I would stay away from that ebay auction: The instrument seems to have many design & construction flaws. If the price sounds too good to be true, probably it is ;) But if you ever decide to buy it, please give us a full report on your impressions.

Cheers, Daniel.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:49 am

Hi All
thanks for those pointers and illuminating information. I am just coming back to music after 25 years off, I could say my situation is novel but not unique.

I have a degenerative disorder which means I cant put much weight onto my shoulders or joints, this is why the CS is so appealing. But being out of work, this makes things doubly difficult.

Many thanks all
Anyone got any work for a UK based photographer? LOL

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:16 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

forget you ever saw that one on ebay.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi All
and thanks for the sage and welcome advice, the wife is thinking of getting me something for xmas so I might choose the ebay stick so I can give a report for you all.

Alex
Interested in 10 string, 8 string

Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I think you will end up with some very expensive firewood by Christmas...

Cheers, Daniel.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:37 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Tell your wife to use the money for a down payment on a REAL stick from SE. Is the wait long and painful???? Yes, just read some of the previous posts. Is it well worth the wait ???? YES, again read some of the previous posts. Why waste money on an imitation??? Unless it can match the specs of the Real stick that you want from SE, atleast some of your effort will be wasted. But if you have money to burn then go ahead. I think arsacane has it right. Don't forget that while it's burning to roast a few marshmellows. Just Know that everyone on this site has been in or is currently in your situation, and the wait is just part of the process. Carefully think this over before makeing the decision to buy that.......instrument. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:24 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

When I ordered my Stick, I waited until I had all the money set aside. The thing I didn't realize is the ordering process of getting in the queue, initial deposit,final payment, and delivery. It is a great to have a custom instrument.

For anyone seriously wanting one, I would suggest ordering one and save a couple hundred a month. In a few months you'll pay a small percentage and have a couple months to save the rest. It would be far easier to save while you are committed in the queue.

I should have jumped on it sooner.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery