It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 "Good News/Bad News" misinformation 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post "Good News/Bad News" misinformation
To those of you who may have read Traktor Topaz's latest "Good News/Bad News" advertising posted to his Tappistry forum and sent by his newsletter to some Stick players, I'd like to correct a bit of pointed misinformation that casts him in a good light at our expense.

About his price increases he has this to say as an explanation:

"As many of you know, the good folks over at the Stick company increased all model pricing by about $400 around a year ago, and we are proud that we could delay our rate adjustment for a whole year, and we're also gratified that we'll only need to adjust model prices by $300."

It's false on two counts:

1) Our last price increase was effective May 15th, 2007, which is 2 1/2 years ago, as shown on our current price list at: http://www.stick.com/prices/

2) Most of our models were raised in price by $200., except the newer Alto Stick which was raised by $300., and the Ten String Grand which was not raised at all. None were raised by $400.

We've always tried to make The Stick available to as wide a market as possible, keeping our prices as low as possible, always with the musician in mind. I also feel the need, however, to make each Stick play uniformly ideal in the musician's hands, at least when it leaves my setup station. All special Stick features and hardware are designed to enable that setup and I can't cut costs there.

We've only raised our prices when the economy and the currency distorted and destabilized general costs beyond reasonable limits. Also, we use round figures and don't play games with our prices.

Lest best be messed, Emmett.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:35 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: "Good News/Bad News" misinformation
Yet another weak tactic born of utter desperation. They say that desperation is the worst cologne. If that's the case, I think most savvy musicians can smell this guy coming from a LONG way off. :lol:

Go Emmett!

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Why can´t people be honest and play a fair game....?

Sincerely//Jan

Last edited by Hellboy on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:26 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Does that guy sell used cars too??? I could never buy anything ,let alone something as personal as a musical instrument from a guy who conducts himself in this way. Emmett, no explanation is needed.You have decades of satisfied, happy musicians "sticking" with you. I wish they would invent some kind of EQ that could be applied to humans so you wouldn't have to hear their noise.

Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Dear Yuta,
dear Emmett,

thank you, for keeping us informed.

The more I read about the conflicts with Mr. Traktor, I get the feeling this does'nt have to do anything with business. The reason for this must be something extremly personal for Mr. Traktor. Maybe he once whanted to be a "Star" in the Chapman Stick Scene, didn't become on, was not praised by you, Emmett, the Inventor....Frustration and missled emotions build the road which he is on now. This road will only leed to his own mental destruction...At least it's no good for his Karma.

This is very, very, very sad.

I hope that none of you have to waste too much time on that subject, that names himself bulldozer....sorry... Traktor.

I have to say:"Mr. Traktor I just cannot take you serious".

All the best and keep up the good work

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
michaelpaffen wrote:
Dear Yuta,
dear Emmett,

thank you, for keeping us informed.

The more I read about the conflicts with Mr. Traktor, I get the feeling this does'nt have to do anything with business. The reason for this must be something extremly personal for Mr. Traktor. Maybe he once whanted to be a "Star" in the Chapman Stick Scene, didn't become on, was not praised by you, Emmett, the Inventor....Frustration and missled emotions build the road which he is on now. This road will only leed to his own mental destruction...At least it's no good for his Karma.

This is very, very, very sad.

I hope that none of you have to waste too much time on that subject, that names himself bulldozer....sorry... Traktor.

I have to say:"Mr. Traktor I just cannot take you serious".

All the best and keep up the good work

Well said. I´ve been around for quite sometime now and I´ve heard soo many stories about Traktor.....That guy is just trouble. Acting like ha runs this major company that produces tapping instruments and all he does is stealing others ideas and try to miscredit others.....

Sad thing.

Sincerely//Jan

Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:34 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sad, indeed.
There isn't any way around this.

Ultimately, the market will decide for itself which instrument has more inherent value. I've never played a megatar, but I think the stick has proven its durability (both literally and figuratively) long ago. This certainly helps one to decide between manufacturers... Just my opinion.

If only I could get one that swung like an N/S with higher action, I'd be THERE. I just can't deal with the belt hook.

But that's another thread, I suppose.

Thanks for the info, Emmett.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:08 am
Contributor
Contributor

Emmett,

You're a class act. I know how much this bothers you, but there is no way they can compete with your product. I think that generally people who buy a megatar are people who don't want to wait, but when they get one they wish they had. It seems that people are very easily persuaded by his venom, but I wouldn't worry too much. Everything he has created is a complete rip-off of what you've dedicated your life to. There are not people carrying his torch like they do for you.

Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:13 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I got a 'lovely' email from Mr?Topaz who saw my search for a Stick here on Stickist. He wanted to let me know there were other tapping instruments available - in other words his. I informed him that I would rather wait for the real thing.

Well I got the real thing last Friday when I met up with Bryan Chalmers at Heathrow airport - what a nice chap he is too. I have to say I am not a musician and my skills are limited to say the least but I have in my life had the opportunity to handle some very high end instruments and met the people who played them. The Stick is up there with any of them. A fantastic concept and beautifully crafted. How lucky we are to be able to communicate with the man who's idea it was.

Now I just have to spend the rest of my life learning how to play it. :D

And Mr Topaz, your instrument will sell or not on its own merits. I wonder how many people own more than one and if they have ever had the chance to try the real thing!

Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well, I had a few monthes ago the "luck" (bad word, "opportunity" would be better) to put my hands on a Megatar. Believe me or not (you can obviously argue that I'm not objective, even if I am), but this instrument was really unplayable due to *very* high action, I just couldn't believe my eyes... :shock: How someone can sell such a crappy thing? :roll:
I won't be so nasty with other brands : I tried a few years back a 12 strings Warr that someone sold in my area, and it was really a different beast, very playable, but the ergonomics (the body) and the (a bit) hasardous finition on this one were disappointing.

What drives me crazy is the overall behaviour of Arthur. Now with internet, when you have some interest on the tapping technique, you can obviously see the Megatar site, but the other brands too (and the Stick especially has a large visibility on the Net). If you still have an interest and wandering through the forums (which is a kind of normal behaviour before spending your bucks), anybody can see very easily that :

- Arthur's behaviour is very aggressive, and thus suspect IMHO (I like the analogy with the car seller, I had exactly the same image in mind when I saw his website) and counter-productive. I know he contacted a few years back some guys here known as Stick players (useless to say that any of them did "the plunge"). In our "tapping world", there's far more Megatar players switching to Stick than the contrary (I just can't imagine doing that, what an error!!!)

- he DID have a bad behaviour toward E. Chapman and SE in the past (Google is your friend) ;)

- More importantly, it's obvious that he came AFTER E. Chapman and stole most of his ideas.

- A thing that drives me crazy too : wether you like or not his music, E. CHAPMAN IS a musician. Arthur/Traktor/name your pet here IS NOT (I think some of us asked him to post some music on his intrument, he didn't and we're still waiting too)

Well, that's all for today, I don't like dealing with negativity too much these days. :evil:

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next