It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 "Good News/Bad News" misinformation 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: "Good News/Bad News" misinformation
Tetrachord wrote:
JSanta wrote:

I think that generally people who buy a megatar are people who don't want to wait, but when they get one they wish they had.

That would be an overgeneralization. There are examples of people who achieved significant abilities on the Stick, who went on to other brands. Dino Haak, Randy Strom, Daniel Schell, Trey Gunn, Darrell Havard, Jim Wright, and others. As far as I know, none have expressed regret.

But if you are right, the easiest way to put Traktor out of business, would be to eliminate the wait time for a Stick. They used to be available in music stores, and Emmett said in a 2005 interview, "...I’d like to greatly increase production, also to supply US music stores.I’m working on it...." That's the ultimate solution to the "TT" problem, now that his prices are going up so much.

You make some excellent points, though some of those individuals still play a Stick. Coming from a guitar background, I've waited months for a 'production guitar' like a Parker Fly or a Suhr. Both make impeccable instruments, and both you have to wait for. That's how it works, generally smaller companies that put a lot of time and detail into their products take time to deliver. Consumers (especially instrument consumers) will wait for something if it's worth it.

Personally I would rather wait then get something shoved off of an assembly line.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:29 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

As Greg said there are used Sticks coming up all the time. My search stretched out due to the finances I had available. Every other week I was telling my wife about another Stick I could not quite afford. The best thing for anyone who wants a Stick is to buy the first one they see and like [and can afford]. Later they can have one built just for them with the advantage of having had plenty of practise. [I tried lowering the action on my guitar and even changing the string order just to see if it would work - limited success]

I am a potter who makes one off pieces and people have been telling me for years that my prices are too low. I do what I do because I love doing it and like to think most people can afford my work.

Perhaps TT raised his prices because undercutting wasn't working. If his instruments were as good as Emmett's then people would be wanting them just as much and there would be just as many people ready to leap to his defence. I can't say anything about the technical differences, but to me the Stick is elegant, an example of minimalism achieving maximum purpose.

The thing that saddens me most is Emmett's sigh that I imagine I hear as he is drawn unnecessarily into this sort of negative cloud yet again. The other fella does not even need to mention Sticks in his advertising. I have not seen this kind of behaviour by other instrument makers. Maybe now TT has reached his 'critical mass', he can cease the negative marketing and leave Emmett to get on with what he loves doing.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:43 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's well documented that I have every reason to mistrust Traktor, but I'm completely behind Greg's comment. The more puerile responses that inevitably come out of these threads don't serve any purpose other than play the Stick vs. "Other brands" card that Topaz tries to use to his advantage. It's a scenario that allows certain types of "businessmen" to prey on good people who play non-Stick tapping instruments and might be feeling a bit alienated. During my 10 years in tapping, Traktor is probably the only person I've seen who appears to have anything to gain from this situation.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I agree with Andy, but how do you starve TT of this oxygen when his methods are so directed at SE. I am sure Emmett would rather let it go by if he could but this kind of thing is unfair, underhand and could do real damage to SE when people receive it as a newsletter.

It is not just sticks and stones! TT knows what he is doing and must weigh in his mind that the small advantage he gains by his actions outweigh the approbation he will fail to receive from anyone who leans toward SE as most here do.

TT obviously feels he is gaining from this kind of negative approach but in his thread addressing this issue on his forum he says he has now reached critical mass in terms of sales to musicians in order for him to now raise the price of his previously underpriced instruments. Perhaps that too means he can now afford to cease comparing his merchandise to Sticks. I notice he does not ever seem to attack Box or Warr guitars in the same way.

On a personal note if I were going to change my name .....................

Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Sorry to drag this mess over here, but this may be my last post over on Tappistry for a while...

Quote:
I'm guessing that now joy reigns supreme and that all tappers in the universe are again happy campers.

Right?

First, I am not a tapper, I am a musician that often taps notes instead of plucking them.

Second, I am not happy. When Jim Wright leaves in disgust over the BS between him, Greg Howard and me, when Rob Martino avoids this site like the plague, when Ernie Jackson boycotts the megatar he once raved about, when people's posts are erased/altered, and fine musicians are routinely pitted one against another for petty reasons, I'm not happy.

I've observed Daniel's level head for years, but it sounds like even he's had it.

How can I be made happy? Time. Nothing else will work.

I've met some ******* musicians in my life, but I've never known such a petty, bitching bunch of wussies as what I've seen in the "tapping community".

Can someone post something interesting here for a change?

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

something interesting

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
yep - I can Coon-Hog:

http://americancopywriter.typepad.com/b ... hog1_2.jpg

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:44 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Jim B. wrote:
something interesting

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
I've met some ******* musicians in my life, but I've never known such a petty, bitching bunch of wussies as what I've seen in the "tapping community".

New to the Internet? Either that or your travels on the web have been far more blessed than mine. I don't look at Tappistry much but Stickist.com is more tame and respectful than about 99% of the message boards I've seen.

Perhaps you'd like to go to almost any hard rock discussion forum and say "[NAME OF BAND] is much better now that they got rid of [ORIGINAL BAND MEMBER] and got [NEW BAND MEMBER] instead. Now they sound almost as good as [TOP 40 MUSICAL PERFORMER]." You might find an even lower ratio of desirable comments.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

With all the sentiments and opinions posted here, I don't know how to begin to sum it up, except to thank most of you on this thread for your friendship and solid support. I started the subject as "damage control" to try to correct a harmful misstatement about us in print and by newsletter. I didn't expect the thread to have a very long life, maybe just a few "hit and miss" replies.

Instead there has been a flood of endorsement and even Topaz has felt the pressure on his own forum and has retracted his erroneous statement about our prices. I think we should now let it go.

On the larger theme, name calling and psychological insults rarely correct any injury. It's mostly just for short term gratification (kicks), part of human nature for sure, but not very effective. From my experience, the real damage is done politely, opponents "rising to the occasion" with well crafted, almost lawyerly words.

The most effective defense is to expose deceptive words and exploitive deeds, IMO, and in the process you also expose yourself to criticism both constructive and abusive.

I've been mainly fortunate this time. many thanks for that.

Best, Emmett.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:57 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next