It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 am

Silver Lining 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Silver Lining
http://stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2000

Silver Lining :D

I want Emmett & TT, and anybody who cares to know this.

Somehow I got on TT's mailing list back in the early 90's. He sent me postcards on a semi-regular basis, trying to sell me used Chapman Sticks and/or other "tapping instruments." I've been sorta interested in the Stick, since the 70's, and while I never bought an instrument from TT, I must that his insistent marketing kept my mind on the Chapman Stick because he kept talking about the Chapman Stick.

When I decided to get a tapping instrument, I looked on the internet (ebay, etc.) and inevitably came across ads for Megatars (I also came across Warr & other instruments). Since it was virtually impossible for me to try any of these instruments in person I had to judge them by what I could hear on youtube.com or otherwise listen to on the internet (or my King Crimson albums :D ).

This was my judgment. A Megatar sounds like a guitar/bass being tapped (been there, done that ;) ), a Stick sounds like a Stick. Ultimately, I preferred the sounds of the stick and the music being made by Stickists over the sounds of other tapping instruments. So, I now own a Chapman Stick.

To me, TT's marketing references to the Chapman Stick reek of envy. I think that in some way Emmett should be flattered by all this comparison to his creation. It only goes to show that he set (and continues to set) the standard.

While some of TT's instruments are of some mild interest to me, they do not have the unique timbre of the Stick. I'm sure it is possible to make good music on a Megatar. I would probably even own one, if I had unlimited money to spend on my curiosities, along with many other instruments [I play a Strat, but I own a Danelectro too :) :lol: ].

I'm happy to be meeting Emmett at Interlochen this month, and having a chance to study with this great mind. I also look forward to FredTap II and interacting with Stickists and other tappers :D .

TT will probably continue to refer to Chapman Sticks in his marketing, and continue to draw attention to the Chapman Stick.

:D

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Silver Lining
Very interesting perspective Jeff. Indeed, a nice comment based on your experience - very positive thoughts.

Try talking to TT on the phone when you just want a simple re-adjustment to one of his instruments - SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL!

Nope.

The Chapman Stick NEVER needed help from anyone else and still doesn't.

When my Chapman Sticks are re-grooved - it will be THE STUFF OF LEGENDS!

Like Greg correctly stated - no more TT talk, more everyone else who plays great Chapman Stick and Emmett - I wish I could meet you again - real soon.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jamsire wrote:
... Emmett - I wish I could meet you again - real soon.

Come to the Interlochen workshop! You could meet a lot of us, and see Greg and Emmett.

http://college.interlochen.org/program/chapman-stick-workshop

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Just to add to this, I spent time on the Tappistry site as well, and I met some great folks there, some of who now are here at Stickist. I just wanted to say that not all makers of tapping instruments play the same games as TT. Stu Box is a hell of a nice guy, full of great information, and makes quality instruments. I'd love to see Stu here at Stickist.

Kris

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 am