It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 am

Good Stick alternatives these days 

Post Good Stick alternatives these days
I've got a Krappy and I would like to upgrade. I really want a 10 or 12 String Grand, but the 24+ month wait time is just too much for me. I see used pop up here and there. Some really good listings have come and gone lately and a lot of ones not quite to my liking have shown up too. I often get suggested to get something used now that will suffice and order a new one and sell the used one when the new one arrives. I already have the Krappy as my practice one. I really just want to move to something and stay with it. I want something that sounds better and is a lot more ergonomic as I find the Krappy is pretty killer on my body.

There are quite a few options out there, some more mysterious than others. I'm not really sure what to make of them. Touch Guitars I don't know what to think. I'm hesitant to order from Europe. I live in the United States so dealing with the postal fees and wait time between Europe and the US anytime I need repairs sounds like a nightmare. They also seem to be a lot more based around a different tuning and design methodology. My Krappy is tuned exactly the same as a 12 string Grand. It is also literally the only instrument I've ever played in my life so it is the only thing I know and I'm not too keen on starting over from the little progress I've made. Though I don't mind going to 10 string so long as it is still in the classic stick tuning.

Warr seems really tempting since I love Trey Gunn. His solo albums are great and the stuff he did with KC and Sylvian was awesome. I really like his sound, but I'm not sure how much of it actually comes from the instrument versus the unique touch he brings and the various other things he's running with it. I know these days Hanewinckel is the person to reach for a Warr Guitar. I reached out to him. The price is high, but the wait time sounds like it is about one year max. That is more or less the max of what I am willing to wait right now.

Dragonfly is another interesting option. Their acoustic model is honestly beautiful looking and sounding, but it seems like somewhat of a sidegrade as I imagine I would still eventually need to get an electric something. Their electric models are very affordable, but that also makes me wonder if they aren't much better than the Krappy.

And there's a bunch of other random ones I've come across like StuBox and even a Japanese made one that I can't seem to find the name of right now. Warr himself made a post about a "Phoenix" guitar he was going to make at some point too. I don't know what came of that. Every now and then I see random projects of touchstyle instruments being made as well. It makes me wonder what's on the horizon. I sometimes think maybe I just sit and wait to see if maybe I can be first in line for some new touchstyle instrument instead of forever being stuck waiting years behind others.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Good Stick alternatives these days
This one was listed a month ago. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16930

I tried buying the VG-99. I received an initial response via private message but then the followup message never got answered. I finally bought a VG-99 from within Canada to avoid customs and the horrible USD/CAD exchange rate.
ICantTap wrote:
I've got a Krappy and I would like to upgrade. I really want a 10 or 12 String Grand, but the 24+ month wait time is just too much for me.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:18 pm

I did notice that one. It seems like the price is a little higher due to it having MIDI, which is something I feel like I probably wouldn't use when I could just use something like a Helix Stomp guitar synth. Is there any advantage to using a VG99 over a Helix Stomp for synth purposes?

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You could always sell the Midi pickup if you find that you don't use it much. They don't make the Midi pickup anymore for Stick products, so you could recover a portion of your investment.

The VG-99 could be sold for much more than he is asking for it as a combo purchase. The VG-99 is mostly used as an instrument modeler, while the Helix is more for amp and effects modeling.

I really like the Helix because it supports IRs (Impulse Responses) When I discovered what IRs were, it opened up a whole new world of musical possibilities for me. You can combine the VG-99 and Helix to work together and get the best of both systems.

https://www.roland.com/ca/products/vg-99/
https://line6.com/helix/
ICantTap wrote:
I did notice that one. It seems like the price is a little higher due to it having MIDI, which is something I feel like I probably wouldn't use when I could just use something like a Helix Stomp guitar synth. Is there any advantage to using a VG99 over a Helix Stomp for synth purposes?

Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:54 pm

Thanks for your response! That does make the combo sound a lot more attractive! I'll have to keep my eye on it

Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The 12 string Grand Stick sells for $3500 directly from SE.
https://stick.com/shop/prices/

ICantTap wrote:
Thanks for your response! That does make the combo sound a lot more attractive! I'll have to keep my eye on it

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:07 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I own another unusual tapping instrument. 8-)
This one can mimic any instrument in the world.

I've used the Spectrasonics Trilian Bass module
https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/ ... /index.php
to mimic the Chapman Stick on mine, but I prefer
to create sound tracks for film with Heavyocity's Damage.
https://heavyocity.com/product/damage-2/

I like what this guy is doing with his Roli SeaBoard.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:58 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Mobius Megatar, the regular 12 string - not the one with the fanned frets.

The Megatar hangs kind of like a Warr guitar, and is oodles of fun to play, at a fraction of the cost.

They come up for sale on Reverb and Ebay from time to time.

I always wanted to try the very last designed 12 string Megatar, those looked really beautiful - but I missed the boat on that one.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've been in your place before and have owned 2 Sticks, 2 Warrs, 2 NS/Sticks and 1 Touch Guitar S8. I now have an NS/Stick with a Hanewinckle 12 string on the way. You already have a Krappy so you can keep working on that until a new instrument arrives that is made to your liking. Hanewinckles are amazing and Pete H has been making touch-style instruments longer than anyone alive, being the Luthier making Warr guitars since 1991. He said yes to every custom option I asked of him which is a big deal. In terms of cost, he requires $1,000 down payment, the balance of which can be payed in any increment until the instrument is ready. Stick requires a $300 deposit, and the balance can only be paid when the instrument is completed. Either way, you can put some money down and save for the balance as the instrument is being built, rather than waiting to order when you've saved up the $.

Any worthwhile instrument will take time. Don't be fooled by people who like to throw out an accusatory tone to these instrument makers for taking a year or two to make an instrument. More than anyone else, they don't want unfinished, unpaid instruments cluttering their shops. They will make them as soon as they possibly can and once you have it, you'll be glad you waited and didn't take a short cut.

Sticks, Warrs, NS are all great. I got rid of my Touch Guitar S8 in favor of the NS/Stick which is priced 40% lower yet has more features and is a better made instrument.

Difficulty with Touch Guitars is not worth the endgame to me. They don't take credit cards or PayPal, so you've got to accommodate what makes life easiest for them by doing a wire transfer from your bank, like it's the 70s or something. Having had to send that instrument back for repair to Germany I can testify firsthand that German customs is an absolute nightmare. The instrument sat in customs for over a month while TG blamed customs and customs blamed TG. There are better made instruments within the U.S. that don't require you to jump through customs and wire-transfer-shaped hoops just to get a guitar. Their design of "ergonomic balance" seems to answer a question that almost no one is asking. Playing the instrument while standing means it is tilted away from the player so you're literally looking at the back of the neck. When seated, it's a whole different instrument and you can see your hands, fingers and fretboard like every other instrument. Part of the design is meant to encourage you to not look at the fretboard while playing, even though every single guitar legend in every single genre looks/looked at the fretboard. With other instruments, you can choose to look or not, but with TG, it's impossible while standing. On ill-informed principle alone, TG refuses to make 12 string instruments. Custom options are extremely limited, unless of course you're famous then you can get anything you want. Hanewinckle said yes to every custom option I requested while Touch Guitars said no to everything. Be forewarned: if you buy into the Touch Guitar world, you're buying into a mindset and instrument that is loaded with obstacles that are between you and making music.

In short, buy a Hanewinckle if you like the full bodied, rich tone with more sustain. If you like the brighter more aggressive sound, buy the Stick. There are more custom option available on Hanewinckle like midi, hollow body and Piezo if you're so inclined. Whatever your choice, you'll be glad you waited however long you had to wait to get a great instrument that's just what you want.

Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:07 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Here's one that I haven't seen before.
https://www.peterstephen.co.nz/pages/stephen_stick.html

Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:17 am