It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

Considering a Krappy 

Post Considering a Krappy
I'm looking for a touchstyle instrument, as I'm trying to find something that better suits me than guitar or bass. Thinking about getting Kevin from Krappy to build me a 10 string touchstyle, as I'm quite budgeted (If it could be a Warr it absolutely would), but I still have some concerns about the quality. I've never played any touchstyle instruments as they're rather unavailable. If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Considering a Krappy
From my experience it is best to save up and buy a Chapman stick. I bought a Ziggy guitar about 5 years ago and am sorry I made the purchase. It has been a nightmare. The seller of the instrument refused address the issues with the instrument. I had to invest several hundred dollars to even get the instrument into a playable state. It is currently in the guitar shop now getting serviced.

Save up and get a Chapman stick. They are worth the extra $. I can't speak to the quality of Krappy instruments, but consider the name, which might be a good clue.

Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Here’s my 2 pennies, take Marks advice. Call SE after viewing the site to determine what you might like, put down a deposit and get it in the works. Start saving because it will be a wait. Chapmans have invested a lifetime to invent and manufacture the best touch style on the planet, in my opinion.

Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Considering a Krappy
Like the others here I would go for a stick if at all possible - perhaps a used one - if you follow this forum you’ll see them pop up periodically. If you really decide to go elsewhere then I would first consider

https://www.touchguitars.com/models-specs/u10basic/

Or one of the other u10 models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:56 pm

My issue is that both a Chapman Stick and a Touch Guitar U10 would end up at triple the price of one from Kevin Siebold. Out of the two, I would be more likely to aim for a U10, however, due to its more conventional guitar shape. This is a matter of personal preference- I'm not to keen of the form or aesthetics of a Chapman Stick and I'm also hesitant about Touch Guitars.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:16 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

lucyac wrote:
My issue is that both a Chapman Stick and a Touch Guitar U10 would end up at triple the price of one from Kevin Siebold. Out of the two, I would be more likely to aim for a U10, however, due to its more conventional guitar shape. This is a matter of personal preference- I'm not to keen of the form or aesthetics of a Chapman Stick and I'm also hesitant about Touch Guitars.

With all due respect majority of the people on this site are advocates of the Chapman Stick through ownership, studying and playing. Back in 2011 I purchased an alternative which was of decent quality the people I played with said the Chapman sounded superior hands down which I had to totally agree. I wasted some money on the alternative and never looked back at the mistake. Chapman delivers high quality. Seems your issue is self resolved and you are a krappy candidate. This is only my opinion.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

lucyac wrote:

It's all about the music.
Buy what you can afford.
Buy what makes you happy.
https://www.youtube.com/@bombmob/videos

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:14 am

There's some Krappy chatter here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TouchstyleGuitar

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:28 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

WerkSpace wrote:
lucyac wrote:

It's all about the music.
Buy what you can afford.
Buy what makes you happy.
https://www.youtube.com/@bombmob/videos

WerkSpace is 100% on the money.

I love my Sticks, but I love my Mobius Megatars too.

My understanding is the higher end Krappies are actually quite good, while the lower end stuff is well, crappy.... but on the other hand, depending on what you are looking to do - THAT may be what you are after, and please don't take the the wrong way.

Coming from the 1980s NYC downtown Art/Noise/Music scene, to me there is no such thing as a bad instrument, they are all good, and they all exist for a purpose.

I never really gave the Krappies any serious thought, but you know what, I'm going to check out their website just for the hell of it and see what they have to offer.

Think it's run by a guy named Kevin if I recall correctly.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:56 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

https://krappyguitars.com/HTML/touchstyle.html#

Holy Crap !! This stuff is nuts..... I might even be considering one now... !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:03 am