It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Krappies??? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Krappies???
I'm sure the axes are great, and I am in no way going to make fun of anything other than the name of the business. I mean, I can play just as horribly on a Stick as a guitar or any other kind of tapper so really, at the end of the day it's ultimately the person playing the instrument that is going to dictate the quality of music. So yeah, I am only having some fun with the business name. Pete Gonzales plays a Krappy, and he's as good as anyone...

If it sounds good, it probably is.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Krappies???
Jayesskerr wrote:
Hehe I just can’t get past the name - “Krappy”

He could really run with it, especially on model names;

The Big Turd
Logjam
Turtle head
King S**t
Big Brown Shark
Cow Pie
Montezuma’s Revenge
Stinker
Corn Bullet

Lol never ending, sorry - I could not resist as it’s too funny.

He could make inlays out of Paleofeces! You can buy it on Etsy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by mike.hoegeman on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You should be in advertising jay, you have good ad ideas, marketing is key, if you want to make money, but then you have to produce. Branding though thats the thing.

Cowpie, i want to play that. Cowpie t shirts sandwiches all that stuff cowpie logos, cowpie the brand..

Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:03 am

Hello,

To be honest I am always astonished by the kind of fanatism running on this forum.
For sure it is a Chapman stick forum so it is understandable at some point, yet we are in Teflon instruments section, so a place to talk (positively) about other brands than Chapman.
I would be interested to know how many people who claims that there is nothing better than stick actually tried another tapping instrument.
I personally own a Tenayo Ziggy, a Megatar (Patrick's design) and a Chapman Railboard.
I can tell that each of them has pros and cons.
Yet the usually acclaimed adjustability and very low action only available on Chapman instruments is from my point of view not as real as it seems.
As an example on Ziggy and Megatar I am free to put whatever (guitar) pickups I want which is not the case on my Railboard.
On the Megatar the zero fret plus this string guide replacing the nut offers me to experiment any tuning I want (as on a Chapman). I tried standard stick tuning, DMR and now use bass in 4th....
About low action strings, I have to say, trust me or not that I can have a far lower action on the 2 non Chapman ones than on Railboard.
Especially the Megatar neck is damn stable due to 2 carbon rods in addition to 2 dual action truss rods.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree Mr Chapman is a great inventor and created a brand new way of playing music. I also like my Railboard a lot, but imho for those who never tried anything else than Stick, go and try something else before claiming out of loud that nothing can be better than their instrument.... You could be surprised.

Just to be clear, I don't want to start a war of any kind, but just want to give my feelings in tapping journey.

All the best

Envoyé de mon Pixel 3 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

tiega wrote:
Hello,

To be honest I am always astonished by the kind of fanatism running on this forum.
For sure it is a Chapman stick forum so it is understandable at some point, yet we are in Teflon instruments section, so a place to talk (positively) about other brands than Chapman.
I would be interested to know how many people who claims that there is nothing better than stick actually tried another tapping instrument.
I personally own a Tenayo Ziggy, a Megatar (Patrick's design) and a Chapman Railboard.
I can tell that each of them has pros and cons.
Yet the usually acclaimed adjustability and very low action only available on Chapman instruments is from my point of view not as real as it seems.
As an example on Ziggy and Megatar I am free to put whatever (guitar) pickups I want which is not the case on my Railboard.
On the Megatar the zero fret plus this string guide replacing the nut offers me to experiment any tuning I want (as on a Chapman). I tried standard stick tuning, DMR and now use bass in 4th....
About low action strings, I have to say, trust me or not that I can have a far lower action on the 2 non Chapman ones than on Railboard.
Especially the Megatar neck is damn stable due to 2 carbon rods in addition to 2 dual action truss rods.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree Mr Chapman is a great inventor and created a brand new way of playing music. I also like my Railboard a lot, but imho for those who never tried anything else than Stick, go and try something else before claiming out of loud that nothing can be better than their instrument.... You could be surprised.

Just to be clear, I don't want to start a war of any kind, but just want to give my feelings in tapping journey.

All the best

Obviously everyone has opinions,some for various reasons,which my busy schedule leaves me no time or interest to go deeper to why anyone likes THIS orTHAT.I was a Megatar owner and player so I have experience with the instrument. I played with a group of musicians with both touch style instruments.not only my hands and ears discovered that The Stick was superior to its competition,but others I played with agreed that The Stick was a better sounding by far.dont want to keep a score card on this dialogue but my experiment proved what it proved.are other touch style instruments bad? Not at all.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I must admit i have never tried a dedicated tapping instrument, before the Stick. Is there another dedicated tapping instrument?

The Stick is the evolution of fingers on strings, coupled with an ingenious tuning system.

the NS is a later conceived hybrid.

Maybe it was conceived to appease certain bass or guitar style technique aficionados, who knows.

Dedicated Tapping instrument, there is only one.

Tap Guitar, there are many.
Whatever floats your boat, or you can afford, or are willing to put time, and effort into.

I guess I am a fanatic. Oh well.

GosTicK

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:59 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ok... now I got a question: what exactly is a dedicated tapping instrument ??
*I just want to make sure I am not missing something here, because you can do anything you want with a Stick, they are not just limited to tapping.....

I recently took delivery of a gorgeous Stickbass 8, I'll take pictures of it on March 18th, because it's a 55th Birthday present for myself.

*But I did take a sneak peek at it, opened the lid on the case and strummed the strings quick, it's got real nice heavy strings, the melody side is tuned just like an electric bass guitar, E A D G with similar string gauges too, while the bass side is the typical C G D A in 5ths classic tuning, but those strings are way heavy too, so essentially two bass guitars in one, and I for one will be playing this like an electric bass, along with it's intended purpose.....

The NS... well, I believe was more of a collaboration between Ned and Emmett to see what they could come up with together, something new perhaps....

I have one, and I love it... it's got the Moses graphite neck.
One thing I did do was take off that arm, and have my upper strap attachment point on the body, sandwiched between the arm [which I turned 180] and the body so no extra holes, because me and the arm were not working out, and wow did that instrument come to life once I did that !!

I got the NS because I'm a huge fan of Ned's original creations, the L-2, XL-2, and XP-2 headless basses, which by the way can be tapped like no tomorrow......

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:02 pm

ReyStick wrote:
I must admit i have never tried a dedicated tapping instrument, before the Stick. Is there another dedicated tapping instrument?

The Stick is the evolution of fingers on strings, coupled with an ingenious tuning system.

the NS is a later conceived hybrid.

Maybe it was conceived to appease certain bass or guitar style technique aficionados, who knows.

Dedicated Tapping instrument, there is only one.

Tap Guitar, there are many.
Whatever floats your boat, or you can afford, or are willing to put time, and effort into.

I guess I am a fanatic. Oh well.

GosTicK
Hi Rey stick,

To be honest I don't get the difference you make between tapping instrument and tap guitar.
Is it that you mean all instruments like Megatar, Warr, Ziggy, Krappies..... Are guitars modified to be used as a tapping instrument compare to Stick which is originally and exclusively designed for tapping?
If it is the case, I slightly disagree. All those listed instrument are from top of their concept designed to be use "exclusively" for tapping as well (as "exclusively" as Stick).

Don't get me wrong, as I previously said, I perfectly know that Mr Chapman invented the technique and this is more than fantastic. It is as far as I know the latest real invention on playing technique (as bowing strings or blowing in a reed). He created an instrument to achieve this technique, this is also marvelous.

But I keep saying there are other instruments to use this technique, and Stick is fortunately or not, not the only one. And maybe not always the best one.

Also just saying, go and try other instruments, your choice will most probably stay on Stick, but you could also be surprised.... Who knows?

Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm good thanks tiega.

I'll stick with my Stick, but knock yourself out, buy or try whatever you want. I'm sold on Stick Ent.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:35 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to apologize to the community for potentially starting the Stick civil war :lol:

Anyways...
After some consideration I'm still leaning towards commissioning a build from Krappy. The guys from South Jersey too so I trust him! I've got this idea for a 8 string tapping bass with narrow string spacing, tuned F# to F in straight 4ths, thick poly finish, j bass pick ups, and dual output. I want it to look like a bar top or an old piece of 70s furniture.

I personally got into tapping from playing 6 string bass and basses with graphite necks, the tone gets muddy fast though, that's why I decided get the NS Stick. It feels a lot better too .... almost like it was made for tapping :shock: I've been dreaming up a contra bass tapping instrument, or maybe even sub-contra bass. Thats y I'd potentially commission a build from Krappy. Yep

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next