It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

learning material and strings for a megatar 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: learning material and strings for a megatar
Yes, those Toneweavers [which you did say you had right off the bat, somehow I missed that...] are not meant to be tuned like say a Grand Stick, because of the fanned frets....

I zoomed into that picture - looks like the real heavy strings are up on top, as they should be since the scale length is longer there, so I'd say that's set up as it was meant to be.

Is - that instrument is set up for midi - isn't it ??

Those are pretty scarce from a collectors standpoint....

Funny, there's a guy in Canada who has one of the early Ironwood Sticks for sale on Reverb for quite sometime now... I'm surprised it still has not sold yet, as the price is reasonable.
s/n 300

There's also a Toneweaver like yours going for a crazy crazy crazy amount of money !!!

I mean, you can tone anything any way you want, but whether it works is a whole 'nother story.

Believe me, I'm open to all kinds of tunings and experimentation with scale lengths so don't think I'm against you setting that Toneweaver up like a Stick, I'm just not sure if it would work for what you are looking to do with it.

There's nothing like the real deal [a Chapman Stick]...

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 am
Contributor
Contributor

theodonkulus wrote:
Do you uss the universal string length or the long length strings? My biggest issue is the guitar strings. Do i get strings for extended range guitars then the same for the bass side?

I have been closely following Kalium from the start and have some knowledge of them.

The 'universal' length strings are everything at or below gauge .098. These have no taper at the headstock end so can be used for instruments of any scale length up to 40".

Above .098 you need to choose the correct string length to make sure that the headstock end taper sits somewhere between nut and tuner post.

The Kalium site is going through changes and unfortunately does not have the FAQ or technical drawing from the older site up currently. But i will attach the technical drawing below.
The Kalium tension calculator is here https://stringtensioncalculator.com/

'Standard' length typically fits 34-35" scale instruments.
'Medium' length typically fits 36-37" scale instruments.
'Long' length typically fits 39-40" scale instruments.

However beware that bridge design can alter which length is suitable, it depends on how far behind the saddle the ferrule is anchored.
You need to measure your instrument to work out the 'winding length' (ferrule edge to headstock end taper) required. See the technical drawing for the 'winding lengths' of each string length.

The Kalium guitar strings are for shorter scale instruments, so you should use bass singles for the melody side. These will have bass ferrules on them, which i hope the Megatar will accept.
The Kalium guitar strings are actually identical construction to the bass strings, just shorter and with guitar ferrules.

Make sure to buy singles, not pre-packaged sets, as gauges suitable for guitar or bass are not suitable for a tapper. Research the gauges of tapper string sets to choose gauges, the Newtone site lists gauges for standard Stick tuning.
Buying Kalium singles is no more expensive than buying sets.

I am fairly confident all this information is correct, but i cannot guarantee it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:51 pm
Contributor
Contributor

theodonkulus wrote:
Are you saying I'd have issues with tuning like a stick due to the fanned frets? It came with a uncrossed hand playing tuning but i felt like that was very unnatural.

Inverted bass strings is not ideal as a fanned-fret instrument is meant to have the longer scale length used for the lower pitch strings.
Inverted, it will be functional but the tone and clarity of the lowest bass strings will not be as good as it could be.

So i suggest not using a Stick string string layout and keeping the lower strings on the longer scale lengths. You could still use a Stick fourths-fifths tuning but just without inverting the bass strings.

The Megatar tuning is not necessarily 'uncrossed', it just has non-inverted bass strings. You can play it crossed or uncrossed, just like any tapper.
An 'uncrossed' tapper usually swaps the bass and melody sides.

I suggest that you choose a tuning that is best for you and best for the instrument, instead of copying a Stick tuning just for the sake of learning material. Otherwise you may not have as good an experience as you could.
Most of the material is tuning-independent, and you could always reverse the bass side chord diagrams.
Chord, scale and pattern stuff is easy to work out yourself anyway, for any tuning.
The really important material is technique and other tuning-independent stuff.

Also ...
Awwwww i do not like it when Sticks are described as 'the real deal', this suggests all other tapping instruments are significantly inferior, invalid, fake, copies, etc. :D

Last edited by ixlramp on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Big George Waters wrote:
Yes, those Toneweavers [which you did say you had right off the bat, somehow I missed that...] are not meant to be tuned like say a Grand Stick, because of the fanned frets....

I zoomed into that picture - looks like the real heavy strings are up on top, as they should be since the scale length is longer there, so I'd say that's set up as it was meant to be.

Is - that instrument is set up for midi - isn't it ??

Those are pretty scarce from a collectors standpoint....

Funny, there's a guy in Canada who has one of the early Ironwood Sticks for sale on Reverb for quite sometime now... I'm surprised it still has not sold yet, as the price is reasonable.
s/n 300

There's also a Toneweaver like yours going for a crazy crazy crazy amount of money !!!

I mean, you can tone anything any way you want, but whether it works is a whole 'nother story.

Believe me, I'm open to all kinds of tunings and experimentation with scale lengths so don't think I'm against you setting that Toneweaver up like a Stick, I'm just not sure if it would work for what you are looking to do with it.

There's nothing like the real deal [a Chapman Stick]...

Funny enough the gentleman just wanted to get rid of it and i got it for under 500 all in. I just impulse bought it in Toronto off the owner and once I got home realized the full value with the midi pickup system. I had freaked out and ran the serial number incase it was stolen and to my surprise nothing.

So i finally got time to try it out and have bee struggling with just how to just hook this up + using a midi system sith a Roland GK system as I dont have that yet or a decebt amp. I tried to restring this thing as a chapman and I guess I need new strings then..haha

Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:29 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

whoa.... that's a steal - you did good there !!

ixlramp, I see where you are coming from and I acknowledge all the other amazing tapping instruments out there, after all I got two M.Megatars that I love, and a Warr Phalanx that I also love, but for me - personally - the Sticks are the instrument which really are, well.... perfect.

Now that being said, are the Sticks as comfortable to play as my M.Megatars ??
No.
Since I am a man of size, I need to wear an external belt - an extra belt - to play the Stick standing - also seated, but it does work, and quite well.
But when I strap on my regular Mobius Megatar that is tuned like a Grand Stick in Classic tuning, it is as if the instrument was custom made for me as it hangs just right with their strap system.

Now - to throw a wrench in the works - once I got rid of that extension arm/leaver/rod whatever it's called on the NS Stick, and ran it with the Strap going in an existing hole, man... THAT became the magic instrument for me !!

But there is just something about those old M.Megatars that I just love, maybe because you can really swing them around while playing... I don't know.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:07 pm
Contributor
Contributor

That is cool, as i suspected, you do not use that phrase in the negative way i referred to.

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:38 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I have no input into the strings but noticed you live in Hamilton. I’m in Guelph. If ever you are in the area pop on by.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
I have no input into the strings but noticed you live in Hamilton. I’m in Guelph. If ever you are in the area pop on by.

Awesome. Do you teach?
Hopefully I'll be attending classes at UW in the spring.

I saw your Ad for that Railboard earlier. Looks nice :) how do you like the grand stick vs the railboard? Did you sell it yet? What type of amp dp you run ot through? Asking as Im torn between a stereo acousticnor keyboard amp before I jump on the roland GK train.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:27 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I only teach brass at the moment. I love my SG12. Love the extra strings. Railboard is still for sale. I play thru a fishman artist amp and I love it. UW is down the street from Laurier where I got my degree. Come over and try out my amp if you like.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

Interesting. I may take you up on that. Looks like I'll be in the KW area in the summer for classes for my MS in Electrical Eng. Ie got two amps I can try putting things through right now to practice.

Guess Ill string this thing up as parallel fourths/fifths. Keeping the bass strings on the lower registers.

Got two sets from Newtone that took a while to get in but heck looks like they have a dedicated tapper set :). I was looking online for the chapman stick strings and it seems like stick only sells them to stick owners >:[

Outside of the Easy touchstyle book anyone have any good resources for learning? I was going to pickup the stick book and some of the other material. Long and Mquade (Canadian Retailer) doesn't seem to have much in stock outside of special orders.

Either way thank you all for the replies and insights. I know Im probably the biggest N00b here.

Happy Holidays

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:16 pm