It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:52 am

Where to buy strings for my “Krappy?” 

Post Where to buy strings for my “Krappy?”
Hello all!

I have a ten-string Krappy, 34” scale. It’s currently set up in parallel fourths, but I would like to switch to mirrored fourths.

I know I can use standard five-string sets for the bass side, but are there piccolo five-string sets out there? Does stick.com sell a mirrored fourths set in 34” scale?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Mon May 20, 2019 3:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Where to buy strings for my “Krappy?”
raganwald wrote:
Hello all!

I have a ten-string Krappy, 34” scale. It’s currently set up in parallel fourths, but I would like to switch to mirrored fourths.

I know I can use standard five-string sets for the bass side, but are there piccolo five-string sets out there? Does stick.com sell a mirrored fourths set in 34” scale?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

send them some mail ?
Contact info is here

http://www.krappyguitars.com/contact.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mon May 20, 2019 3:29 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Where to buy strings for my “Krappy?”
I recommend you do not use standard bass sets as they are unsuitable for tapping in several ways:
Tension is far too high for tapping.
Tension rises form low to high, instead of falling from low to high which is optimum for tapping.
The high total string tension may be dangerously high for the instrument.

You should build custom sets from singles with carefuly researched and chosen gauges. Ask Krappy Guitars for gauges to use.

'Kalium Music' (formerly Circle K Strings) has bass length strings in fine gauge steps from .008p to .266. They're apparently very good strings. Mail order from USA only.

Tue May 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi
I totally agree on Kalium strings.
I use those ones on both a (new) megastar and a tenayo Ziggy. I also use those strings on my railboard, but don't say it here :)
Those strings are perfect and you have milion choices for gauges to build your own set.
You can choose bass or guitar end balls...

Envoyé de mon Pixel 3 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Ah and just another note
Kalium is shipping all over the world. I'm personally living in France and order from here. The shipping is a little bit longer, but except that no issue.
I received my last order no later than 3 days ago.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 3 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

Wed May 22, 2019 11:25 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I may be wrong, but i seem to remember that Stick Enterprises only sell their strings to Stick owners.

I have discussed strings a lot with Skip, the guy behind Kalium, since 2004.
I think they may be well suited to tap guitars because the Kalium wound strings are a sort of bass/guitar hybrid string.
Compared to typical bass strings they are more flexible and i suspect they have smaller cores. Compared to guitar strings they have larger cores.
The Kalium 'bass strings' and 'guitar strings' are actually identical in all ways except length, winding length and ball end size.

More information for all Kalium wound strings:

They are hex core.
The Kalium 'Hybrid' wound strings have a nickelplated outer layer and steel inner layers.
The Kalium 'Steels' wound strings use steel for all layers.
They are in the process of moving to a new tapered section length. Years ago it was very short at 1.625" (1 5/8"), the latest strings have, as far as i can estimate by measuring a close-up photo of a .266 string, a tapered section of 2.125" (2 1/8") (edge of ball end to start of taper).
Skip's intention with lengthening the tapered section is to fit more bridge types and be suitable for more tapguitars.

Last edited by ixlramp on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My strings are custom made in the UK.
https://newtonestrings.com/about-newtone-strings/

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu May 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Thank you all.

I would love to try buying singles from Kalium, but I do not have a clue what gauges to order, and I am very inexperienced with bass guitars and have no previous experience with tapping instruments at all.

Currently, my krappy is tuned BEADG on the bass side, and EADGC on the melody side. What gauges of Kalium strings would be appropriate?

Thu May 30, 2019 5:43 pm
Contributor
Contributor

As suggested already, how about emailing Krappy Guitars and asking what gauges would be suitable?

> It’s currently set up in parallel fourths, but I would like to switch to mirrored fourths.

> Currently, my krappy is tuned BEADG on the bass side, and EADGC on the melody side.

What is your desired new tuning? Is it the same but just reversing the order of one string set? Maybe also swapping bass and melody?

Fri May 31, 2019 4:11 pm

I got some advice about strings from Kevin when I bought the instrument, but the whole idea of a web forum is that there are different people, with different playing styles, and different opinions about strings.

So yes, I 100% agree that Kevin is a great source of knowledge about strings for his instruments, after all, he built it, he strung it, he plays gigs himself. But I would also like to hear from others.

For absolute example, he did not suggest Kalium, but I have heard good things about Kalium, so I would love some suggestions for string gauges that folks who have used Kalium would recommend.

As for tuning, I would like to try flipping from parallel fourths to mirrored fourths. I do not want to touch the instrument without an extra set of strings on hand, and it’s always a good idea to have a spare set handy. I think I would stay with the current tuning, or maybe go to mirror “High C” tuning (both sides EADGC, although both Es would be in the centre and both Cs on the edges).

Last edited by raganwald on Fri May 31, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 31, 2019 4:23 pm