It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Mixolydian b9 b13 or Phrygian Dominant 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Mixolydian b9 b13 or Phrygian Dominant
:D

Mode 5 of Harmonic minor, I was always taught that it's more of a "Mixolydian" mode than it is a "Phrygian" one, but I get the naming convention... Mike Stern and Frank Gambale call it one thing while Satriani calls it another... Mixolydian b9 b13, or Phrygian dominant, what's your preference? And have you ever used it? I know I have... (a lot)

Mode 5 of Melodic minor (That is, Jazz minor, or "real" Melodic minor where the scale ascends and descends the same 12b34567) is sometimes called a "Hindu" scale, but really, it's a Mixolydian b6. In my mind it makes a lot more sense to use that naming convention as it is played over a dom7, (Mixolydian = Dominant 7) but hey, all good... I'm quite familiar with that one and I have used it a bunch also...

So I'm curious as to what your preferences are in regards to naming conventions...

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Mixolydian b9 b13 or Phrygian Dominant
Post a video demonstrating, please! excellent topic. I bet Steve A has something to say about this as well!

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I don't know about Steve A but the mode you're implying is actually called Freygish.
A harmonic minor with the 5th tone as root
E F G# A B C D
Lots of ethnic music
Spanish Malaguena style progressions , like two chromatic major chords are ideal
ll: E l F :ll
These two chords are outlined within the scale
E G# B and F A C
Because it sounds Spanish it's mistaken for Phrygian
Steve A?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
:D

Mode 5 of Harmonic minor, I was always taught that it's more of a "Mixolydian" mode than it is a "Phrygian" one, but I get the naming convention... Mike Stern and Frank Gambale call it one thing while Satriani calls it another... Mixolydian b9 b13, or Phrygian dominant, what's your preference? And have you ever used it? I know I have... (a lot)

Mode 5 of Melodic minor (That is, Jazz minor, or "real" Melodic minor where the scale ascends and descends the same 12b34567) is sometimes called a "Hindu" scale, but really, it's a Mixolydian b6. In my mind it makes a lot more sense to use that naming convention as it is played over a dom7, (Mixolydian = Dominant 7) but hey, all good... I'm quite familiar with that one and I have used it a bunch also...

So I'm curious as to what your preferences are in regards to naming conventions...

I would call the first one the "5th degree of harmonic minor". This scale is what you use when playing over minor ii-V-i progressions, for the ii and V. One easy way to learn it is by altering the Phrygian mode (raise the minor 3rd up to a major 3rd).

If you know your three-finger scales (and you should ;)) then this is super easy, as the fingering does not change only the placement....

You can find the fingerings for the three three-fingered Phrygian scales on pages 6-5, 6-6 and 6-7 of the Stick Book...

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ahhh Phrygian Major mode.... very cool scale b2 b6 b7 makes it great on sus4 b9 b#5 chord

A good alternative to a don7slt chord

Mixolydian b6 another goodie

Brett

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I love these threads. If you are into cool modes and such check out tessetura pro. It's an app that will blow your minds if you are looking for stuff like this. Enegmatic scales. Messina truncated scales. It's a cool app and works great for using in arranging and soloing. And practicing patterns.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Wowee Zowee. I use the Phryghtening Dominant Scale. Zappa used it alot. (here we get silly. Lee? Other Chromatic Aberrations?)

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

My teachers have generally referred to this as Phrygian Dominant. I've heard "Spanish Phrygian" as well, but I personally think that name is kind of silly ;)

Side note, I've REALLY been liking this scale but with the natural 7 lately. It's got a really neat coloring to it, although it's admittedly a bit more difficult to find good context for.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am