It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

invert the base tuning on a fan fret megatar? 

Post invert the base tuning on a fan fret megatar?
This stick is available at the moment but Id like to have the option to invert the strings on the base side .

I know its not optimal but the splay dosnt seem that severe and is only at the bridge end (is at right angles at the nut)

Also in regards to the tension/ scale lenth ratio should that accounted from the nut to the bridge or further back from the tuner to the bridge?

Cheers

Attachment:
91549AA0-DD42-4155-B150-2D3E19A50CFF.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: invert the base tuning on a fan fret megatar?
riverrat13 wrote:
This stick is available at the moment but Id like to have the option to invert the strings on the base side .

I know its not optimal but the splay dosnt seem that severe and is only at the bridge end (is at right angles at the nut)

Also in regards to the tension/ scale lenth ratio should that accounted from the nut to the bridge or further back from the tuner to the bridge?

Cheers

Attachment:

To do this, you would be working in direct conflict with the reason for the fanned frets in the first place, longer scale for thicker strings.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. Also, this is not a "stick", so please don't call it one. Stick is a brand name, and this instrument is quite different in a number of ways, including having an adjustable nut on The Stick to facilitate tuning changes and the setup adjustments they require.. This instrument has a "zero fret" which is not a very effective way to deal with setting up such a diverse string set (thin and thick strings vibrating on the same fret surface).

Generically, they are a "tapping instruments".

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I understand why you would want to invert the strings on this instrument. The ergonomics of playing a 12 string fan fret with the bass string at the top would be a challenge to learn,
especially if you are a beginner(?).

I looked the Megatar up on Ebay and I would say the price is a little high, but there is a
Railboard available for less money and is a good deal in any case. Get the Railboard 8-).

*j*
.~
jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks Greg.

The secound question was trying to clarify if the scale length of a guitar in relation to its efect on tone should be taken from the bridge to the nut or from the bridge past the nut and onto the tuner.

As some tuners are set well back from the nut I thought this might efectively create more tension thus offseting the effect of the fan fret in regards to tension only. But it turns out that the tension is only efected by the nut to bridge and the fan fret obviously compromises the inverse base tuning.

(edit) after reading this its obvious anyway that there is a certain amount of tension needed to aquire a certain pitch........ So why do bass guitars have longer scale lengths......sorry moving on again..

JRJ

Hi mate. Yes I am a beginer. Thanks for your advice Im definitely after a 12 string.

So....... I bit the bullet and have placed an order on a new 12 string grand.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

riverrat13, Biting the bullet is always better than taking one ;) . I think you will be very happy with your new Stick 12 string coming from SE rather than Ebay :|. It will arrive about as close to perfect as it can get. Good luck with your journey.

*j*
.~
jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

riverrat13 wrote:
Thanks Greg.

The secound question was trying to clarify if the scale length of a guitar in relation to its efect on tone should be taken from the bridge to the nut or from the bridge past the nut and onto the tuner.

As some tuners are set well back from the nut I thought this might efectively create more tension thus offseting the effect of the fan fret in regards to tension only. But it turns out that the tension is only efected by the nut to bridge and the fan fret obviously compromises the inverse base tuning.

(edit) after reading this its obvious anyway that there is a certain amount of tension needed to aquire a certain pitch........ So why do bass guitars have longer scale lengths......sorry moving on again..

JRJ

Hi mate. Yes I am a beginer. Thanks for your advice Im definitely after a 12 string.

So....... I bit the bullet and have placed an order on a new 12 string grand.

Congrats, you are going to love it! These are amazing instruments!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
riverrat13 wrote:

Cheers

Attachment:

To do this, you would be working in direct conflict with the reason for the fanned frets in the first place, longer scale for thicker strings.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. Also, this is not a "stick", so please don't call it one. Stick is a brand name, and this instrument is quite different in a number of ways, including having an adjustable nut on The Stick to facilitate tuning changes and the setup adjustments they require.. This instrument has a "zero fret" which is not a very effective way to deal with setting up such a diverse string set (thin and thick strings vibrating on the same fret surface).

Generically, they are a "tapping instruments".

Oh, stop being such a pussy. For God's sake, dude.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm
Site Admin

Decorum please, or take it into the Lounge.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

So...... I went ahead and inverted the strings on my 8 string fan fretted ormsby guitar about a month ago , realising that fan frets are the opposite of what is optimal for inverted tuning so not trying to prove anyone wrong It’s just the ormsby is alI have.

Its tuned in a mirrored 4th’s equivilent and so far so good, well better than naught anyway.
I was sore for a while and my stamina really low but I can play for a good 45 minutes now without cramping up and averaging 2 hours a day give or take....

Any until the stick ariives I hope to learn as much as I can using this. I just need to form a plan of attack in regards to mapping out a study regime (i will start a thread for that question)

cheers.. Riv

P.S. the tape is there temporarily to support the strap for vertical orientation..

Attachment:
F02E8184-EB49-46CD-816E-2F3E914219E7.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 am