It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All the things you are = Pat Metheny? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post All the things you are = Pat Metheny?
Funny thing today, the first real time studying "All the things you are" yea a bit late in the game for sure but really never gave this tune much mind. That is until today listening to Ella sing it for the first time. Pretty haunting so then I moved on to midi files and broke out the real book.

After going through the melody on my Tapper and rough basslines suddenly I felt and heard Pat Metheny solos in the back of my head while hearing the beautiful meandering key changing melody etc.. It was like I heard his style coming right out of this song!

Am I crazy, or "crazier" than I thought? Does this making sense to anyone but me?

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: All the things you are = Pat Metheny?
Standard tune that every jazzer on the planet has played a million times, including Pat. It's a fave due to the nature of it's many key changes and odd measute phrasing (5+3 instead of 4+4).. The challenge is in the navigation of these modulations
Very Bachian in the descending 5ths progression.
Check out the many versions from Charlie Parker to Wes Montgomery and Mr. Metheny. There is a clip somewhere with me on Stick jamming this tune with bass legend Jeff Berlin. Fun!
Good luck

Steve A

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

My favorite take on that tune was always Lenny Breau's version on the Live at Shelly's Mann Hole album from around 1967. That and Bluesette.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:30 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
My favorite take on that tune was always Lenny Breau's version on the Live at Shelly's Mann Hole album from around 1967. That and Bluesette.

Lenny Breau, a criminally undermentioned musician... John Scofield has a pretty killer version or two, as does Mike Stern...

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You don't seem crazy to me. This is one of Pat's favorite standards. There are a couple of great recorded "official" releases with Pat playing this tune on "question and answer" and "trio live" both are amazing. I think you should write down what you are hearing, you are probably make int a powerful and original connection to the changes. Great stuff.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
You don't seem crazy to me. This is one of Pat's favorite standards. There are a couple of great recorded "official" releases with Pat playing this tune on "question and answer" and "trio live" both are amazing. I think you should write down what you are hearing, you are probably make int a powerful and original connection to the changes. Great stuff.

Thanks Brett, I need to stopping be lazy and write it down. Rick Beato attributes his best learning to transcribing. Ouch, sounds like work. LOL :)

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:

Careful, Brett... these are subversive ideas lol Seriously, though I agree, transcription is a valuable tool. I score everything I work on. I sometimes re-score it even...

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:45 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

One of my all time favorites, arranged on early Stick, before that on my jazz guitar, and still on my song list. Chord changes flash by, and how to keep a legato lead line connecting through remote modulations - always a challenge of high hurdles to any jazz instrumentalist.

The 3rd\ scale degrees of each chord dominate the theme throughout (both major and minor), showing up at all the downbeats, seven at a time in each 8-bar section. The transition at bars 5 and 6 is where it gets especially interesting, the major 3rd turning into the minor 3rd of a progressed root a half step upward (genius harmonic theme). Then it all repeats in a neighboring key.

"You" are always you, but with many facets (he tells his lady).

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:13 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

BSharp wrote:
One of my all time favorites, arranged on early Stick, before that on my jazz guitar, and still on my song list. Chord changes flash by, and how to keep a legato lead line connecting through remote modulations - always a challenge of high hurdles to any jazz instrumentalist.

The 3rd\ scale degrees of each chord dominate the theme throughout (both major and minor), showing up at all the downbeats, seven at a time in each 8-bar section. The transition at bars 5 and 6 is where it gets especially interesting, the major 3rd turning into the minor 3rd of a progressed root a half step upward (genius harmonic theme). Then it all repeats in a neighboring key.

"You" are always you, but with many facets (he tells his lady).

Wow, Emmett sounds like you know this song a bit? LOL
Awesome, thanks! :)

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery