It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

Things to visit in Ann Arbor and Detroit? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Things to visit in Ann Arbor and Detroit?
I’m starting to finalize my travel plans for Interlochen and am hoping to get some tips from the folks in Ann Arbor and Detroit. I’ll be there after the workshop from about midweek through Friday, would love to hear from the locals on what to visit and any local gems not to be missed.

I realized I’ll be there during the Art Fair, so will plan on visiting that.

Thanks!

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Things to visit in Ann Arbor and Detroit?
Bob will be playing at the art fair as well. Anything specific you are looking for? My favorite thing in downtown Detroit is Mexican Town, many great Mexican Restaurants there.

Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum is between Detroit and Ann Arbor in Dearborn.

If you want to see one of the Great Lakes, Lake Erie Metropark is nice.

I've never seen it myself, but in Detroit there's a Motown Museum, I believe Glenn Poorman has taken a few Stickists there.

Ann Arbor has a paved trail along the Huron River that's got some nice scenery.

Yankee Airforce Museum is South of me in Ypsilanti, I've donated several things to them over the years. They hold some awesome air shows, but this year it will not happen until September. The rebuilt museum is nice, the original burned down about ten years ago.

Ann Arbor has the Matthias Botanical Gardens that's pretty good. Some friends of mine took me there many years ago, I've been there a few times aftewards. Neat place, they have plants from all over the world.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thumbs up on the Motown Museum if that sort of thing interests you. The studio has been left pretty much as is with very old instruments and recording gear. They even still have mics in the attic which is where that Motown reverb came from. I can still get chills thinking about the tunes that were recorded in that little room.

Also +1 on Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum.

Question though ... the workshop ends on Saturday with a concert in Traverse City that evening. Are you planning to spend any time in that area before returning to Detroit? If you want to see the best of the Great Lakes, to me that's the area you want to explore (the Sleeping Bear Dunes) or even a bit further north to the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island. The area around Traverse City is wine country too if that's something you're into.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks for all the info! I'll take a look at all these suggestions (I love botanical gardens - I usually end up taking a lot of pictures).

Glenn - I am sticking around in that NW region to visit right after the workshop. I don't think I'll make it as far as Mackinac Island, but will focus on the coast. Sleeping Bear Dunes is definitely on the list.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:51 pm