It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

Mark Warr 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Mark Warr
I just tried to get some new strings for my axe. Turns out that Mark has announced he has colon cancer and is not accepting any orders until further notice.

I suppose I will call LaBella and try to get my gear that way.

Best wishes to Mark and family.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue May 09, 2017 5:16 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Mark Warr
K Rex wrote:
I just tried to get some new strings for my axe. Turns out that Mark has announced he has colon cancer and is not accepting any orders until further notice.

I suppose I will call LaBella and try to get my gear that way.

Best wishes to Mark and family.

Kev

Wow, that's horrible. Blessings to Mark and family for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

That sucks, I have extra hate for cancer... Pretty much acid in my veins and arteries towards that disease...

I don't know much about Mark, but his instruments look really neat and sound super cool, plus there are a lot of really good musicians playing them. I hate hearing about people getting sick.

Anyways, here's hoping he can win the war (It is a war) against this horrible disease. The world definitely needs more survivors.

Awright, gonna go work on my tapping now...

Tue May 09, 2017 8:15 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
That sucks, I have extra hate for cancer... Pretty much acid in my veins and arteries towards that disease...

I don't know much about Mark, but his instruments look really neat and sound super cool, plus there are a lot of really good musicians playing them. I hate hearing about people getting sick.

Anyways, here's hoping he can win the war (It is a war) against this horrible disease. The world definitely needs more survivors.

It's a war, and we are losing badly.

I am currently living with my mother, who has stage 4 lung cancer. I guess you could could say I am touched by cancer. Inappropriately touched by cancer, yes.

It isn't lost on me that Mark's instruments are, in my opinion, among the very best in the tapping world. How he will manage to catch up when he recovers, I cannot contemplate. It is such a trial for him. Going through it with my mother every day, I really hurt for him. I play an instrument he made with his hands.

Shouldn't be too difficult to get strings, but that is the least of my worries. He isn't the most communicative person in the world, to say the least, so it may be a long time before we have any news.

Prayers. Best wishes. Positive thinking. Burn a sage bundle or something. Send condolences. Every single member on this forum should be pulling for Mark right now. This should be a big deal here. It should be on a different subforum. Maybe I will take it there.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

K Rex wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

I am currently living with my mother, who has stage 4 lung cancer. I guess you could could say I am touched by cancer. Inappropriately touched by cancer, yes.

It isn't lost on me that Mark's instruments are, in my opinion, among the very best in the tapping world. How he will manage to catch up when he recovers, I cannot contemplate. It is such a trial for him. Going through it with my mother every day, I really hurt for him. I play an instrument he made with his hands.

Shouldn't be too difficult to get strings, but that is the least of my worries. He isn't the most communicative person in the world, to say the least, so it may be a long time before we have any news.

Prayers. Best wishes. Positive thinking. Burn a sage bundle or something. Send condolences. Every single member on this forum should be pulling for Mark right now. This should be a big deal here. It should be on a different subforum. Maybe I will take it there.

Kev

I can relate, and agree. I lost my Mother and my Grandmother to cancer a few years ago. I hope Kev, that you and yours are okay. Cancer sucks. Hang in there, man.

Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
K Rex wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

Kev

I can relate, and agree. I lost my Mother and my Grandmother to cancer a few years ago. I hope Kev, that you and yours are okay. Cancer sucks. Hang in there, man.

I am so sorry, Scott. Thank you for your kind words. We are doing okay. Hard times, but not too hard to occasionally start shit with Steve in the Lounge. Heh. Love that guy, truly. Anyone who sticks around with me is a bud.

You're getting to be an oldish friend here as well, so thank you. Loved the photo of your gimpy guitar fingers.

Later,

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wish Mark and his family the best of luck. Colon cancer can be treatable or a killer. Hopefully, he can get good treatment and has some good insurance. (I'll leave that there. It sucks that I'm hoping for political failure in the Senate so that whatever insurance or Medicare he has doesn't go away before he can get treatment. I don't know what his financial situation is or whether he can even afford his health care or not. It shouldn't matter, but I'll leave that there.)

May 5th marked 9 years now cancer free for me, although it cost me my prostate. My Grampa died from prostate cancer and it had spread to most of the major organs of his body by the time he passed, which was 72. But he had numerous surgeries several decades beforehand as they slowly removed parts of his body. When my biopsy results came back with 8 of the 12 regions of my prostate covered in rapidly-spreading cancer at the age of 37, my doctor said I had only one real option: surgical removal before it spread.

In the old days, they would have to slice you down the middle, gut you like a fish, and scoop everything out with a melon scooper and a scalpel. And then there would be months and years of recovery, and often there was nerve loss and function loss of the old plumbing equipment. Incontinence and impotence were only slightly better options than Stage 3 cancer, but fortunately, science and motherfucking robots saved the day (and my wanger function, which is TMI but shit, this is cancer and it's part of my story now...)

I had Da Vinci robotic surgery, which my doctor claims probably saved my life (not to mention my sex life). My doctor sat at a 3D monitor (like the doctor to the left of the pic below) and cut out my prostate, pulled it through a quarter-sized hole in my belly button, and re-attached everything in front and behind it. I had some slight nerve damage for the first couple of years, and then I would pee myself if I coughed too hard until about year 7, and then finally am pretty much back to normal function for a 47-year man.

I have a blood test every year to test my PSA (which is how I found out in the first place that there was a problem with my prostate). https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/psa-fact-sheet It was super high when I was diagnosed, and it's been zero for the last nine years and hopefully the rest of my hopefully-longer life.

Da Vinci Robotic Surgery

And my government job health insurance paid every single dime of my years of treatment and surgery. This is not something I could have gotten treatment at the emergency room and still remained a living, tax-paying citizen. I don't know what an independent businessman of a small guitar-making company has for healthcare.

But best wishes for Mark and his family and his employees. I hope he gets good treatment and gets back to work!

Forgot to say, best of luck to you and your family and mother, Kev. I hope things get better all around.

(Also forgot to add that my mother-in-law in Japan had both breasts removed from cancer. And several sisters with tumors that had to be removed. And I'm literally named after Uncle Steve, who died of childhood leukemia when he was 6 and Mom was 9. Childhood luke is almost 99% treatable these days, but was an immediate death sentence back in the 50s...)

So better living through science. And colonoscopies! And childhood leukemia research. And robots....

(And Medicare For All to pay for it!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed May 10, 2017 4:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

http://warrguitars.com/contact/

Quote:
Please Note: Warr Guitars will not be taking any guitar order at this time. I have been diagnosed with Colon Cancer and am presently going through treatment. My hope is to be back soon. I ask for prayers and appologize for any inconveniences.

Thank you,

Mark Warr

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Sorry to hear this news. Have you contacted Pete directly about strings? I wonder if he'll take over any of the biz while Mark is recovering.

Wed May 10, 2017 11:45 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

john.e wrote:
Sorry to hear this news. Have you contacted Pete directly about strings? I wonder if he'll take over any of the biz while Mark is recovering.

There isn't a number for Pete on the website, nor any instructions for ordering parts and strings.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 am