It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

Great learning resource - Jazz 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Great learning resource - Jazz
Found this guys channel, no clue about him before I found the channel but I've really enjoyed many of his lessons and observations along with some great insights into several players style. Good stuff at least in my opinion.

Rick Beato's Everything Music.
channel link: https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch

Video example:

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Great learning resource - Jazz
Yes he's bery kmowledgable on all his subjects. Check him out on videos with his son Dylan. Amazing

SA

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I love reharmonization. Also to play arpegio on a chord different than the written chord. There is always a relation between them.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've studied Wes extensively for decades. When I played geeeeeter I did a few tribute shows with two of his sidemen, Harold Mabern and Jimmy Lovelace..
Here's a cool Wes concept I teach and use all the time.
Over a dominant 7th chord play a Major 7th arpeggio one step below. So over G7 play an F Major 7 arpeggio.
IV over V.
G7= GBDF
FMajor7= FACE which presents b7 9 11 and 13 of the G7
Wes did all this by ear and instinct. Harmonically, melodically and rhythmically, Wes is absolutely the best.

Steve Adelson

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Wes did all this by ear and instinct.

Yeah, and then us lowly mortals have to study his recordings to figure out w.t.f. he does, or do, and then bring it into the realm of STUDY, which sucks all the magic and spontenaity (sic) out of it but at least gives us (mere mortals) a chance to BASK IN IT'S BEAUTY. And then try to bring it to fruition in a NATURAL, MUSICAL, and SPONTANEOUS (i wish i had bigger capitals for that last word) way. Not to change the subject, but I was waiting for my local musicshop guy to open his doors this afternoon and caught Hendrix Band of Gypsys doin' "Hear My Train A'Comin" from "Machine Gun" the cd of B.O.G. opening set 12/31/69@ Fillmore East. Jimi still kills me and there are sounds that although others have emulated since at the time was ALL BY EAR AND INSTINCT (and listenin' to Wes. And turning the amp WAY UP.) Man. I just gotta keep listening. And learning.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I advocate learning the concepts like the one I illustrated. This gives the player a vocabulary of resources. Then you can do the expressive thing with your digested knowledge. Wes did practice a lot in his formative years. He learned Charlie Christian solos and eventually found his own voice. Studying our predecessors is important

SA

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
I advocate learning the concepts like the one I illustrated. This gives the player a vocabulary of resources. Then you can do the expressive thing with your digested knowledge. Wes did practice a lot in his formative years. He learned Charlie Christian solos and eventually found his own voice. Studying our predecessors is important

SA

Sounds like wisdom!

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

pcgonzales wrote:
Studying our predecessors is important

SA

Sounds like wisdom!

Suck it up! And this Rick Beato dude (along with this guy Steve Adelson) are pritty hip.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery