It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mega Sadness for Megatar 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Mega Sadness for Megatar
randy wrote:
K Rex wrote:
Note to self:

Never buy a company whose product resembles a coffin*.

K Rex

*Unless you are buying a coffin company

Or you make the coolest propane grill ever!

Note that the side that is closed ... is a cooler!

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It is an unfortunate situation and here is a great opportunity for Stickists not to be assholes about someone else's misfortune. Megatar News

It's not Patrick's fault that the previous owner of Megatar had differences with Stick Enterprises. Remember that.

I'm a Chapman Stick fan, primarily because I really like the product and I was hooked at a young age. Simple as that. It could have been a Skeletone or Warr, but I live in Southern California and was actively playing music in the 80's and 90's out there, so it just happened that way.

I don't need to put down other people based on the instrument they play AND CONVERSELY do not want to be put in a box about how I perceive others that do in fact play instruments like the one that I play. I don't care who came first, I am simply looking for a high quality instrument that will allow me some way to express myself where the bass, guitar and mandolin fell short.

To the point, not every Chapman Stick player hates all other tapping instruments. Those that have played a while and read up on the drama that occurred over a decade ago know there was a little shake up. And by little, I mean a lawsuit. Without getting into the details, start with this - It's none of our fucking business. It was painful for everyone involved.

Let's try to look forward to a better day when we can get refocused on being creative and sharing our love of music. I implore every person on this forum that was not directly involved with that lawsuit to be cool and maybe have a nice thing to say to those that are adversely affected by this. Ask yourself, what would Jack do?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

In 10 days, it will be one full year since I got my first Stick. When I first heard that there was a tapping guitar that didn't need a pick, I started researching.

The Stick and the Megatar were the two instruments that were recommended to me. Warr was the third. A guy I knew on Reddit that had played all three suggested Stick as the better of the 3, but had pros and cons for each (which I can't remember now!).

I've since discovered the Marcodi Harpeijji, which is also pretty darn cool--but different--than Stick. There's also Krappy and a few others.

Many of us play more than one instrument and even more than one tapping instrument. It's all good!

I get the backstory and the drama from 10 year ago but like Gene says, it's really none of my business.

Just rock it out, however you get there. Rock with me, rock to me, rock around me--just keep rocking and tapping and plucking and picking and strumming and whatever floats your boat. I like tapping instruments and I like the Stick so far as the best of what I've seen, but I would be a proud and happy owner of a Harpeijji, or a Warr Phalanx or whatever, if someone would give me one. But throw in an NS Stick while we're at it!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

randy wrote:
K Rex wrote:
Note to self:

Never buy a company whose product resembles a coffin*.

K Rex

*Unless you are buying a coffin company

Even if I buy a coffin company, I would not like the coffins made there to look like a Megatar :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Mega Sadness for Megatar
No shadow should fall over Patrick. Nothing is his fault to my knowledge and I've never heard anything bad about him. He should perhaps have ditched the name and started fresh under a new name. Cause it is so hard to polish a name that has had so much bad energy to it. I too am among the ones that likes what Patrick has done to redesign the instruments. Looks so much better than the earlier ones. And I do agree with Luc. Buying the tools and the machines could be a good thing. And then start up fresh from there. Again, no shadow should fall over Patrick. He seems like a good guy.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

-Mobilis in mobil-

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:47 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The Megatar strings that sold on eBay have lousy tone.
I ordered a set of them and ended up with three sets.
It was there way of apologizing for a billing issue.

I ended up ordering my strings from http://www.newtonestrings.com/
The NewTones have excellent tone. I bought four sets and love them.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:19 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jan Hellman wrote:
The new owner did a good try to save something that was doomed from the beginning. Much because of Traktor/Arthur and his earlier actions. Too hard to wash away all negative energy from that name. I would not buy that company. Would be easier/better to start from scratch if one wants to establish oneself in the instrument building business. My two cents.....

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Well said, I Love playing my Megatar and the tone is amazing. It is very sad that the early marketing "nonsense" tarnished this great instrument.
Patrick had some great ideas! I hope someone can buy the business and move forward.

I'm still dreaming of a Tapping instrument that has the beauty of a Les Paul Custom, my dream guitar has always been a translucent red wine finish over bookmatched curly or flame maple!

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Its ironic, I never ever ever imagined that I would buy a Megatar after being a huge cheerleader for SE for many years. But after my gig demands on playing guitar consumed me about 7 years in, I just didn't see a future for me on Stick. But just 4 years later, I got the bug again and went to make my own instrument modeled after a Warr Phalanx. But OMG who can afford that? So I looked again, and again, and yet again and said what the heck, then I bought a Megatar. Love the tone, its a different animal but I like it.

Last edited by pcgonzales on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

earthgene wrote:
It is an unfortunate situation and here is a great opportunity for Stickists not to be assholes about someone else's misfortune. Megatar News

It's not Patrick's fault that the previous owner of Megatar had differences with Stick Enterprises. Remember that.

I'm a Chapman Stick fan, primarily because I really like the product and I was hooked at a young age. Simple as that. It could have been a Skeletone or Warr, but I live in Southern California and was actively playing music in the 80's and 90's out there, so it just happened that way.

I don't need to put down other people based on the instrument they play AND CONVERSELY do not want to be put in a box about how I perceive others that do in fact play instruments like the one that I play. I don't care who came first, I am simply looking for a high quality instrument that will allow me some way to express myself where the bass, guitar and mandolin fell short.

To the point, not every Chapman Stick player hates all other tapping instruments. Those that have played a while and read up on the drama that occurred over a decade ago know there was a little shake up. And by little, I mean a lawsuit. Without getting into the details, start with this - It's none of our fucking business. It was painful for everyone involved.

Let's try to look forward to a better day when we can get refocused on being creative and sharing our love of music. I implore every person on this forum that was not directly involved with that lawsuit to be cool and maybe have a nice thing to say to those that are adversely affected by this. Ask yourself, what would Jack do?

Great Post!

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Need any strings? I've got three sets of them, and don't like the tone.
pcgonzales wrote:
I Love playing my Megatar and the tone is amazing.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next