It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mega Sadness for Megatar 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Mega Sadness for Megatar
It would be cool to own a tapping instrument company. But then I wouldn't have enough time to play a tapping instrument. I'm glad Emmett went thru the "trial by fire" to bring his vision to fruition (and to me). If I ever get another tapping instrument (I have two Sticks) I would probably get another Stick, for no other reason than it would be a custom job and I'm on first-name basis with the owner and his wife. HOWEVER, if I were to find a different brand of tapping instrument AT A PRICE I COULDN'T RESIST (and had the $$$ at hand) I would jump at the opportunity...

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

WerkSpace wrote:
Need any strings? I've got three sets of them, and don't like the tone.
pcgonzales wrote:
I Love playing my Megatar and the tone is amazing.

No I have my own string Procurement process that I've used for the past 2 years. I have strings to spare.

DAddarrio XLS on the bass side and melody strings from JustStrings.com.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

as the posts to read in here are silly by nature.. and i get that... i also see an Underlining theme here.Its sad when an instrument company goes under.. yes the competition might cheer about it.. but in the long run it splits this community apart some people are Only stick Players, some are only ward Players, and some are only Megatar players.. there is no need for all the dislike to go back and forth..Each Tapping Instrument has it's own voice.. and each voice needs to be Heard.. I haven't played a Tapping instrument i didn't like

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

From what I understand from the website it´s perhaps more that the instrument building is too time consuming for him and that he wants to focus more on the family that is the reason behind this. I totally understand that if it´s so. And noone has said anything negative about Patrick.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 pm
Contributor
Contributor

No i am happy that P{trick chose to do something more important.. nothing is more important than family

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:57 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The Megatar was one that I looked closely at six years ago, when I was going to pick up two handed fretboard tapping. But after having talked to a lot of players, watched many YouTube videos and read a lot of forum posts I decided to hang on and save up a little more so I could go for a Stick - just because it seemed to play and sound better.

Since then I have also come to try out three builds of the very nice 32" twelve-string tapper Ziggy, by the Belgian (?) luthier Ziggi Abramzik. I found them very impressing to play, felt more like my SG-12 than like my 36" Grand, even though the tuning matches a full-length Stick's MR. One can read up on these instruments at http://www.abramzik.com/factoryZiggy.html

If I should ever get one of these I would like to modify it with a belt hook.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
The Megatar was one that I looked closely at six years ago, when I was going to pick up two handed fretboard tapping. But after having talked to a lot of players, watched many YouTube videos and read a lot of forum posts I decided to hang on and save up a little more so I could go for a Stick - just because it seemed to play and sound better.

Since then I have also come to try out three builds of the very nice 32" twelve-string tapper Ziggy, by the Belgian (?) luthier Ziggi Abramzik. I found them very impressing to play, felt more like my SG-12 than like my 36" Grand, even though the tuning matches a full-length Stick's MR. One can read up on these instruments at http://www.abramzik.com/factoryZiggy.html

If I should ever get one of these I would like to modify it with a belt hook.

I had heard that the Ziggy's were being discontinued also?

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:

Sound is very subjective, like the tone I hear from Brett Bottomley is very smooth and a bit darker than some other Stickists via his EQ setup and technique (sorry I still believe tone is also in the hands .. old debate on Stickwire) vs the brighter sounds I hear from say Don Schiff for example.
Steve Adelson as far as I know doesn't use the melody pickup at all so how could someone compare his tone to a Megatar etc? Just saying.

By the way if you have a chance checkout the tone I dialed in for my cover of "Teen Town" . https://youtu.be/PAa9XPvFIbw

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

pcgonzales wrote:
By the way if you have a chance checkout the tone I dialed in for my cover of "Teen Town" . https://youtu.be/PAa9XPvFIbw

That's a lovely bass sound, man!

And you are right; "tone" is definitely subjective (took that for understood). I didn't mean to come across as saying "a certain instrument provides you a certain tone", I just meant that for the tone and playing style I was envisioning as a beginner, the Stick seemed to be the tool best fit for the task. After a year of playing the 36" Stick I tried a shorter scaled SG-12 and found this even closer to my goal; which was to sound something like:

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
pcgonzales wrote:

I tried a shorter scaled SG-12 and found this even closer to my goal; which was to sound something like:

Sounds Great!

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next