It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 pm

Teen Town cover 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Teen Town cover
Oceans wrote:
Whats the trick for ripping jaco tapping style? Like a looser hand or a tighter feel. Hard to ask but as far as fast tapped baselines like that I wonder if you have any tips. Hails

Thanks for checking out the video!

As far as tips, I think the critical piece to consider is the fingering! I actually changed the fingering about 3 times from my "learning" speed of about 70bpm as I worked toward the recording speed of 128bpm I found certain things just weren't working at faster tempos.

Secondly, I found that NOT repeating notes with the same finger actually helped me get more speed. There were some sections that I had to start out with second or third finger in order to start the second beat with the first finger further down the fingerboard.

Not entirely sure if this contributed either but couldn't hurt, I've been doing these finger stretches daily for the past few months and I think its helped moving around a little better! https://youtu.be/TSrfB7JIzxY

Wed May 25, 2016 8:10 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Pete really great work, a man after mu own heart.
Repeated notes (and parallel notes on adjacent strings), YES YES YES a great discovery.
Even in 4ths you cannot play a tapping instrument like you would a plucked instrument. You are fretting and "plucking" with the same hand at the same time. Very different.

I highly recommend getting Greg Howard's dvd it probably won't translate 100% using an uncrossed megatar but the concepts for articulation remain the same.

Teen town really repeated notes mostly at the end of phrases and I did notice that the repeated notes were a bit weaker in places. Remember these notes are the easiest thing to play on electric bass and some of the hardest to play using the free hands method.

Have you tried "come on come over" bassline? That REALLY needs a unique approach for a tapper. Nice work we need more and more people playing jazz on tapping instruments in all tunings, we haven't even scratched the surface.

So check out Gregs DVD

Brett

Thu May 26, 2016 4:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks! If you ever get to solo in a jaco style id love to hear it. I don't mean totally ape him but you know what I mean. Cheers.

Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 pm