It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:54 am

Helios - Michael Manring 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Helios - Michael Manring
Been listening to this a lot lately:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkzzAjSxDs[/youtube]

audio quality is a little better on this one, but boy is he amazing to watch play.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFA7uTwuoHo[/youtube]

Such a creative approach - I've listened to Manring for years but never heard this album until a few days ago..

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Helios - Michael Manring
Manring is fantastic. A voice of his own.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eTBc7aWBGw[/youtube]

I have a Zon Hyperbass on order. Ordered it a LONG time ago. Will be delivered in May it seems. Last bass I´ll ever buy. Promise. :? :roll:

-Mobilis in mobil-

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jan Hellman wrote:

I have a Zon Hyperbass on order. Ordered it a LONG time ago. Will be delivered in May it seems. Last bass I´ll ever buy. Promise. :? :roll:

dude - nice. I would love to play one.

Good luck with that "last bass" thingy....I have already bought 3 of my "last basses"...
:lol:

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Getting ready to order my last bass. Gotta sell my last bass first, though. I am working on my next last bass as well. If I can get a Jerzy Drozd it might be my LAST last bass. We'll see.

Zon is good people, Jan. I hear those things are so awesome they virtually play themselves.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

God, that guy can play. Manring is so, so good.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

randy wrote:
Jan Hellman wrote:

dude - nice. I would love to play one.

Good luck with that "last bass" thingy....I have already bought 3 of my "last basses"...
:lol:

I have at least bought 28 last basses!! :lol: :lol:

-Mobilis in mobil-

Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
Getting ready to order my last bass. Gotta sell my last bass first, though. I am working on my next last bass as well. If I can get a Jerzy Drozd it might be my LAST last bass. We'll see.

Zon is good people, Jan. I hear those things are so awesome they virtually play themselves.

Kev

I am actually a moderator on Zon Europe´s Facebook group. I have a Zon already so this will be my second one. Great instruments. I´ve talked with Joe several times. They are indeed good guys but one needs some patients..... Delivery dates are not always set in stone....... :lol: :lol: I also know the Swedish importer well and have helped them out from time to time. So I am at least abit involved..... :) Love their stuff. Inventive.

K Rex wrote:
God, that guy can play. Manring is so, so good.

K

Oh yes! Impressive and I´ve hear that he is among the nicest guys on the planet as well. Just love his stuff. Will be great fun trying to learn to play the Hyperbass. That thing can do stuff no other bass can and he basically told Zon what he wanted and they turned it into reality.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:04 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This thread just made me realize my Zon is now 25 years old. Bought it before there was no internet. The salesman also recommended that I check out a guy named Michael Manring afterwards. Years later I added a Warwick fretless, which was a nice instrument, but I sold it when I added the NS- Stick. It's tough for me to play any other bass as the Zon is so perfectly balanced, outside of how well it plays. If I ever decide to get another fretless, I'd get a Zon. I've played a few, very tough to beat. The necks are actually composite graphite and wood, the headstock is also hollow, requiring care if you change out the tuning machines like I did:

https://sb.smugmug.com/Music/Music-Related/i-78hF47v

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Michael is amazing. A great musician and truly imaginative. I opened up a tour for him back in the mid-2000s and never got tired of hearing him play the same tunes each night, His version of the 1st Cello Suite Prelude is one of the reason I wanted to learn to play it.

He and Jim Lampi have been friends for many years. Their bass and Stick duo CD North is really cool:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/north/id298214704

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Michael is amazing. A great musician and truly imaginative. I opened up a tour for him back in the mid-2000s and never got tired of hearing him play the same tunes each night, His version of the 1st Cello Suite Prelude is one of the reason I wanted to learn to play it.

He and Jim Lampi have been friends for many years. Their bass and Stick duo CD North is really cool:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/north/id298214704

Excellent and good fun to read. He was going to do a house concert thing here in Stockholm a couple of years back and I was going to attend. But it was cancelled unfortunately. Hope he´ll do something like that here again in the future.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:36 am