It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 New beer discoveries... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New beer discoveries...
AndyJPro wrote:
MichNS wrote:

Being in touch with "youth," (ha good one, right?) PBR is the choice among real hipsters because it's supposed to be ironic. But it's so over laden with irony it's hard to say if it's really ironic anymore. My vote is no.

I first heard about this from the cycling community being an avid mountain biker. The first article I read about it was Pabst was not sure of what to make of it, and just kept quiet. Now there are more articles showing Pabst supported it once they found out their appeal to hipsters. In contrast when I did a race in Wisconsin, PBR flowed like a river during the whole race, no hipsters in sight. In my state some cyclists make friendly jabs at each other by razzing other racers of being a PBR drinker. Across Lake Michigan from me PBR is treated like holy water. The new beer showing up nowadays can't be ignored as they sponsor a lot of events. My collection of free swag pint glasses is growing from all of the beer sponsors. And related to what you've pointed out, doesn't matter who is drinking it. Results may differ from state to state, so I find the subject of "hipster beer" to be hilarious at times. I find most of the PBR jabs to be more related to competition between racers. Good or bad, looks to me Pabst is getting some free advertisement out of this subject.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:02 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

MichNS,

The hilarity of your tale is inescapable. Come to think of it, I have seen more PBR consumed at gigs than any other drink. Could it be that PBR is cheaper to trade for the labor of freelancing musicians than other drinks? Could this be the secret behind the fawning admiration of rock and roll goobs and flannel-clad, bearded millennials?

Nay, we may never know the secret behind the allure of the beverage whose legendary, vaunted bouquet tempts our palates with top notes of horse urine and an earthy base of dumpster-goo.

Like a fine wine -- may those discerning souls enjoy every drop! More IPA for me.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
MichNS,

The hilarity of your tale is inescapable. Come to think of it, I have seen more PBR consumed at gigs than any other drink. Could it be that PBR is cheaper to trade for the labor of freelancing musicians than other drinks? Could this be the secret behind the fawning admiration of rock and roll goobs and flannel-clad, bearded millennials?

Nay, we may never know the secret behind the allure of the beverage whose legendary, vaunted bouquet tempts our palates with top notes of horse urine and an earthy base of dumpster-goo.

Like a fine wine -- may those discerning souls enjoy every drop! More IPA for me.

K

I don't even drink, however Bell's, Shorts, and a few other Michigan brands have been awesome sponsors of local events. Maybe they could fix a few things wrong in the music industry. Get an IPA to sponsor some of your gigs and I'm sure nothing but good things will happen. Not sure if you are old enough to have seen them, but I've often thought Pabst became the butt of many jokes from their old commercials where they had a really hilarious country song "I've got Pabst Blue Ribbon on my Mind". Back then kids who were too young to buy beer were making fun of Pabst just because of that goofy jingle. Awful marketing.

IPAs seem to have their marketing right. I did get to see a live presentation from a husband and wife who wrote a successful series of books on "Bike and Brew in Michigan/America". Just this week I saw a post from someone looking to do a bike and brew ride where he could go ride and hit a really good brew pub afterwards. How about "bands and brew"? Seems nowadays IPAs get people out of the house to go attend events.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
I have to admit that I've become very partial to Michigan brews over the years. Bells, Shorts, Founders, Right Brain. There's so much good beer these days that no matter where I lived I'd most likely to drink local.

Interestingly enough, the northwest part of Michigan where our cottage is has become a hops growing hot spot and with the increasing number of hops farms, the Michigan brewers (including Bells) have retooled many of their recipes to use Michigan hops where possible.

So now just for jollies, we'll go up in the summer and take great pride in having entire meals of nothing but local stuff from the whitefish to the beef to the produce all the way down to the hops used to brew the local beer :-)

Some pics of a hops farm I took near Glenn's place:

Attachment:
1.jpg

Attachment:
2.jpg

Attachment:
4.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I forgot to mention, Kev, I've used your method of trying new beers!

"Which one has the most alcohol?"

Bullseye

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AndyJPro wrote:

Bullseye

Ha! Andy! You've been paying attention, eh?

Usually I go for taste, bouquet, etc. But when I'm working in a corporate environment, catching a buzz as quickly as humanly possible is paramount. Luckily, my gorgeous wife was there to facilitate my beer drinking adventure with Walter. She's a really good wife... shames us all, really... and Walter was a most interesting and lively companion.

But Andy, it's a fine method. Good luck in your beer hunting, and thanks for the laugh!

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AndyJPro wrote:

Bullseye

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:35 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I wasn't going to mention it, but you guys missed it...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:17 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

http://www.beertutor.com/beers/index.php?t=highest_alcohol

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:23 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next