It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Warr questions 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Warr questions
Andreas

Just out of curiosity, I looked around online for photos of Raptors to see if they were all using plain core strings. I found several that weren't, for what it's worth... just more information for you..

Here's one:

here's another:

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Andreas

Just out of curiosity, I looked around online for photos of Raptors to see if they were all using plain core strings. I found several that weren't, for what it's worth... just more information for you..

Here's one:

here's another:

It shouldn't be worth too much, considering I know Colin Marston's raptor came with LaBella SuperSteps.

BTW, the raptor in the second photo is using a replacement string for tbe bottom end. All the others are using LaBellas. LaBella doesn't make their sets for.Warr that way, and never have.

Yawn,

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanx everybody!

All advice is highly appreciated and well taken!

Jan: the possibility of a "bad" string is definitely there. I didn't thought about that for a second? I'm away over the weekend but will for sure replace it with another string at the beginning of next week. Thank you so much for pointing me in the most obvious direction that I was not able to see ;-)

Greg: you're absolutely right about an adjustable nut beeing a great feature - but my grand is, as my raptor, about 20 years old, and therefore does not have an adjustable nut (height yes, changing the position of the lowest string no) - but I nevertheless like it, both of them ;-)

K: I ordered some packs of Warr strings today (and ignored the shipping costs), and I wrote another email to Warr about including a nut in the shipment. Hopefully there'll be a reaction to this one.
If this doesn't work out as hoped, I still got the possibility of scrubbing the part that was glued to the downside of the nut off, and give it a try. Compared to filing it, it should be easy to revert it to the actual status if it doesn't work out - just glue it back on. But I won't do that before I haven't tried different strings, for sure.
Thank you so much!

By the way has anybody experience with GRUVGEAR FRETWRAPS XL?
I need some damper material that works better than the piece of leather that came with the raptor - and these Fretwraps are looking quite nice ...

Andreas

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

paigan0 wrote:
qbensis wrote:
Firstly, I made the BIG mistake that led to this confusion
Unfortunately, in german the "Sattel" (translated to "saddle" in english) is the thing on a guitar that sits between the fretboard and the instruments head.
If I got it right - it isn't called "saddle" in english, but "nut" ... and now I'm really embarrassed - SORRY! :oops:

Everything is fine with the saddles of my raptor.
[...]
Peace, Andreas
Andreas, Na, was geht ab? Just wanted you to know that this makes a great story and you shouldn't be embarrassed at all! Well, maybe a little. (I'm just teasing). I took 4 years of German and can barely count in it, because once I started learning Japanese (my wife and in-laws are Japanese), I forgot all my German. And I have SO many hilarious stories of mis-translation mistakes I've made in both languages. The Japanese are just amazed that I can speak well enough to make mistakes at all.

Just wanted to say you rock! And English sucks to learn but you seem to have it down well enough that I thought you were a native speaker!--Cheers!/Prost!

Pardon the long Youtube video into your technical discussion, love this song to illustrate "A Hilarious Misunderstanding!" (proud of my boy Bret here for winning the Oscar (!) for "Man or Muppet")
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRZxuWAXZk[/youtube]

"i'm kinda relieved!!"
God do i love FOTC...those guys are so awesome

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

randy wrote:
God do i love FOTC...those guys are so awesome
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhYgprPB9o[/youtube]
Me too, Randy! This is how I first heard of them. "The humans are dead" is one of the best earworms ever! This was a very long time ago and their very first "hit." My best friend is one of their sister's neighbors back in New Zealand--been telling me about them for years and years. Now Jermaine is a bigtime actor and Bret won an Oscar for Muppet or Man. "What We Do in the Shadows" is Jermaine's vampire documentary (award-winning) that's supposed to be extremely funny but I haven't seen it yet. Latest news is they have a movie coming out based on their HBO show.

Sorry to hijack your thread Andreas. "Binary solo!" :geek:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hijacks are always welcome!

(as long as they are about interesting music or good comedy)
(beautiful girls would be acceptable too ... and every kind of Donald Trump bashings ;-) )

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:26 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

qbensis wrote:
Jan: the possibility of a "bad" string is definitely there. I didn't thought about that for a second? I'm away over the weekend but will for sure replace it with another string at the beginning of next week. Thank you so much for pointing me in the most obvious direction that I was not able to see ;-)

We are here to help each other out, my friend. Hope all works out for you. All the best to you!

Sincerely//Jan - Sweden

-Mobilis in mobil-

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

qbensis wrote:
Thanx everybody!

All advice is highly appreciated and well taken!

Greg: you're absolutely right about an adjustable nut beeing a great feature - but my grand is, as my raptor, about 20 years old, and therefore does not have an adjustable nut (height yes, changing the position of the lowest string no) - but I nevertheless like it, both of them ;-)

K: I ordered some packs of Warr strings today (and ignored the shipping costs), and I wrote another email to Warr about including a nut in the shipment. Hopefully there'll be a reaction to this one.
If this doesn't work out as hoped, I still got the possibility of scrubbing the part that was glued to the downside of the nut off, and give it a try. Compared to filing it, it should be easy to revert it to the actual status if it doesn't work out - just glue it back on. But I won't do that before I haven't tried different strings, for sure.
Thank you so much!

By the way has anybody experience with GRUVGEAR FRETWRAPS XL?
I need some damper material that works better than the piece of leather that came with the raptor - and these Fretwraps are looking quite nice ...

Andreas

Hi Andreas, It's been a month, I just wanted to follow up to see if the new strings helped...

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

K Rex wrote:

As I said in my first post, one issue -- perhaps the primary issue -- is that you have a raptor, which Warr no longer makes. Mark may have a nut laying around, but that's highly unlikely. More than likely, you will have to make/alter one for that guitar... but that's a question for Mark. Either way, the instrument will never be restored precisely.
K Rex[/quote]

Not trying to pile on or Hijack... But.. I had a related issue before. Long story short I wanted to change the tuning on my Warr. I asked mark and crew.

The end suggestion was they I could send it back to be redone. Or, I could have any good guitar tech/ luthier just install and cut/notch/ file a new nut. And for the most part nuts are not off the shelf parts. But are cut and notched and optimized for each instrument and the intended string gauges.

My take on your issue is to start with a fresh set of (the right) strings. Have the nut done done by a competent luthier and have them do a complete set up. Have truss adjusted and intonated (if you are not comfortable doing that yourself).

If at all possible try to find a tech that has some familiarity with tapping instruments. And also be as specific as possible abuut what you want. A lot of Warr players like to have the action set a bit higher to accommodate being able to pluck the strings as well as tap.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I must be missing something, just getting a bad vibe from rex to greg? Hmm never mind. I think we are all just here to help and you both helped so all is good. :? Cheers yawl, can't sleep. As said b4 just get n contact with your benefactor and give the drugs to bobby g in the alley via email. Huh

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:09 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next