It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:12 am

The Difference Between Stick and Warr 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post The Difference Between Stick and Warr
A great intro, superb interplay. Just fantastic. The song that launched the Stick into the public eye, as far as I am concerned.

It seems to me that the Warr has a far greater dynamic range, is far more capable of producing different sounds than the Stick. Then, Levin opens the song with the trademark sound, which only the Stick can make. Nothing makes that sound, only the Stick. The Warr is not capable of producing that wiry attack. It is an unforgiving instrument, bold and aggressive. It does what it does. The Warr is more open to individual technique, but in its universality it does not have the character the Stick has.

I really love the fact that King Crimson used both instruments, knowing there are differences between them that can be exploited.

Can't we all just get along?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrdvvGQtKDw[/youtube]

K Rex

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: The Difference Between Stick and Warr
Thanks for that, Kev. I've wondered about this very topic for a while. I saw an article on the net comparing the two instruments that I can't find now when I was researching about the Stick when I first discovered it and the entire concept of tapping guitars. Seeing it could take a year, I looked into other tapping instruments. A lot of people who had played both recommended starting on the Stick.

They seem like different instruments entirely to me, and thus have their different pros and cons. I'd love to get my hands on a Warr Phalanx or whatever to jam on one.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have had the opportunity to play a bunch of different Warr models, and actually considered getting one... However, I stayed with the STICK because of that sound, ergonomics , comfort of playing and the strong and friendly community that is here. As my friend who owns a bunch of Warr guitars and is his main axe, he switched because of the music he was playing took him in that direction... To him, it is a tool..... a different palette of colors . He still owns and plays two older very cool Sticks as well.
:ugeek:

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 am
Contributor
Contributor

I have wondered about this topic as well. Paul Edwards, formerly of Kittyhawk and a former SE employee, plays Warr guitar now. He came to the Vancouver seminar in 2010. I didn't take the opportunity to try it, as I had just received my own stick from SE a few weeks earlier.

I had noticed that the few guys that seem to play "touch-style" instruments in the heavy metal world tend to favour Warr guitars over Sticks. Maybe it's the humbuckers?

Tom G talked about trying one at NAMM one year, but he felt a bit conspicuous once people started taking pictures, as he is a stick endorsee. He also complained about the balance, or lack there of. If I get a chance to try one again, I will jump at the chance.

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

i'd love to have one (im just talkin trash when i say they're ugly) but it's WAY down the list of wishes and i got enuff troubles with the 22 Stick strings i already got. HAHA

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

In 2013, the same year Rob Martino played the Friday night of ProgDay, there was a Warr player, Mark Cook, on Saturday in the band Herd of Instinct. The Warr had some nice tones to it, although the player complained about the weight and ergonomics. I have never had a chance to play one, so I can only say that I am happy with a Stick.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hmmn, I never tried one before. I never really had the urge to, the Stick pretty much looks after my tapping needs. As far as people who play 'em, I will listen to anyone! Haha

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:10 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Tone is cool, little jazzy and different so thats neat. I personally didn't like the ergonomics on the few Ive played but thats just me. Maybe they are good for indian seated play....
I think they have nice pickups and Im not sure if I was hearing that or the wood. Think it was the pickups mostly.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Hey All,

I'd like to re-emerge from my long hiatus to weigh in on this conversation, because I've owned several Sticks and a Warr, so I feel like I can offer a tiny bit of insight.

I'm going to focus on two instruments that, for me, had the most impact: (a) the Alto Stick and (b) the Warr Guitar Artist 8-string.

Currently, I only possess the Warr - it simply fits my needs the best. This is not to say that it is better in any way, but it is my preferred tapper (for now). (that being said, I'd love a guitar-range Stick again, but I'm accursedly poor these days)

If I had to sum my experience with the instruments in very broad strokes, I would do it this way: the Stick (particularly the Alto) sings by itself while the Warr drives with others. Let me explain...

My first experience with a Stick was with an Alto (with a passive stickup). The melodious qualities were tremendous. Something about that instrument just resonated so solidly! It was beautiful. I also did not find it as physically restrictive as the longer-scale sticks, which seem to attach to my body a bit uncomfortably. One thing I did love about the Alto was that it was a standalone machine (melody and accompaniment all in one). In fact, I find the logical separation of bass/melody on the Stick to be one of its greatest aspects. You are, essentially, a one-person band and can play everything at once (e.g. independent lines).

The Warr is a totally different monster. I keep mine in Crafty tuning right now (perfect fifths most of the way through), and this eliminates the bass/melody separation. Consequently, I find myself often playing single, interdependent lines. One advantage here is that the interdependence allows for a tremendous melodic range. Some of the greatest power of the Warr comes from its driving bass (Bartolini pickups...swoon) and really solid sustain. Oddly enough, and probably because of the single-line paradigm, I feel like I often want to be with other musicians when I practice my Warr.

In the end, I really do agree that we should just get along on this one. I've seen "better than" or "holier than thou" arguments all over the internet for just about every instrument possible. In all honesty, I just want to make beautiful music, and I want the right tools/techniques for me. I really think that saying "Tapping Instrument" is no different than saying "Woodwind." Same family? Sure. Apples and Oranges? Absolutely.

Anyway, forgive my verbosity.

Good to be back!
~Nick "Klaus" G.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Great post, Nick. I agree about the bass. The barts are so fine for those tappers. The Phalanx is a beast, you have no idea. Glad the 8-string is working out... it looks like my Phalanx's little brother, a 12-string swamp ash.

Peace,

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:56 pm